User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
nunzo OP
nunzo

Oddometer: 286
WTB Suzuki RL 250 Parts

It might be a longshot but I am looking to find a headlight and taillight assembly along with switchgear from a early 70's Suzuki RL250.

Please contact me if you have or know someone who does.

Thanks
nunzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #2
oldestbones
OldEstboNes

Oddometer: 2
headlight rl260

IF you do find any info would appreciate sharing. I just pick up my NEW RL yesterday. The kickstarter lever seems to be a bit worn out as it hits the foot peg on the way down. I going to work on that today.

My guess on the headlight is you may well need 6 volt products. I have a TS185 and it is 6 volt too.
Seems like there are enough RL's out there with folks who need help to start a folder or thread.

I have collect a lot of files on the RL.
oldestbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestbones View Post
The kickstarter lever seems to be a bit worn out as it hits the foot peg on the way down. I going to work on that today.
The original kick start had a bend in it so it cleared the outside of the footpeg. Are you sure that the original lever is fitted?
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #4
oldestbones
OldEstboNes

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
The original kick start had a bend in it so it cleared the outside of the footpeg. Are you sure that the original lever is fitted?
Oh ya, The clearances of the shaft to the lever where it fold out is about .015 and that makes the lever a little woobily on the shaft.
I have it cleaned up good now and am considering either having the shaft metal sprayed or using west epoxy with carbon filler to fill the void. Also need to have a little weld put on the spot where the bolt meets the lever as it appears the metal is deformed. Only needs about 2MM added to the landing area.
oldestbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
nunzo OP
nunzo

I have only seen on RL (restored) with the street legal running gear. Very nice setup and makes the bike more fun to ride if geared properly for the tarmac.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:57 AM   #6
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzo View Post
I have only seen on RL (restored) with the street legal running gear. Very nice setup and makes the bike more fun to ride if geared properly for the tarmac.
I had what was probably the first road legal one in the world.
When they were originally released by Suzuki they had no lights and I had mine fitted with lights and a speedo and registered for road use from new. In those days in New Zealand you did not need indicators or even a mirror on a motorcycle and I used to ride it to work almost every day.

By the time these photos were taken I had crashed it on the road (new frame required) plus purchased a van so it no longer had lights and a speedo. From memory it had Renthall aluminium bars, Girling Trials shocks and the extra bash plate was made by cutting a cheap rear plastic mud guard up and bolting two sections side by side to the frame under the engine.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
IAOffroader
n00b

Oddometer: 3
RL 250 Street Legal Parts

As a new member of Adventure Rider I was glad to find this posting on the RL 250 Exacta. I just purchased a street legal & titled RL 250 (third owner). It has what I think is the factory lighting kit installed that was installed by the selling dealer back in the day according to the original owner. This kit consists of a headlight, headlight brackets, taillight & bracket, OEM silver left handlebar switch to control the headlight, horn & turn signals (no turn signals and horn was added by second owner), wiring harness, lighting coil & brake light switch on rear brake. There may be more electrical parts such as a voltage regulator as part of the kit but I haven't pulled the tank to see.

Since my bike needed the headlight restored (it had been modified over the years/parts were missing and the chrome ring was damaged) and the taillight repaired (licence plate bracket had been broken off in the past) I started searching the factory shop and parts manual and sources such as DGY & Bike Bandit to find the missing parts or at least the part #'s. Other than the mention of the lighting coil, none of these parts are shown in the factory parts book, shop manual or on the web.

After a lot of messing around in researching (and buying certain parts to compare them to original) exactly what the part #'s are and from what bikes the parts came off of originally I've come up with the following information.

The headlight housing, chrome trim ring, internal parts, mounting parts, headlight bulb, left control switch, headlight & headlight switch wiring harness are off of a 1974-1977 TC185. Some of these parts are also identical to the parts used on the TS 250 headlight but not that many. I have no idea what bike the headlight brackets were sourced from - I'm assuming at this point that they were specially made for this model.

The lighting coil is still generally available.

The taillight isn't off any Suzuki model that I can track down but the lens may be off of a 1960's A100. There is a special bracket that the taillight attaches too that was obviously made specifically for this bike. The nice thing about this OEM light is that it doesn't require any holes to be drilled in the fragile rear fender. However, it does stick up pretty high making it vulnerable to damage. The Yamaha TY light is a much better design but requires drilling holes in the fender to make it work.

The brake light switch looks to be a generic 1970's Suzuki part.

Other than the taillight, most of the rest of these parts are available either used or as NOS. Mounting the headlight would require some readily available aftermarket brackets. If I was modifying one for street I would install the Yamaha TY taillight most likely since the RL version seems to be very rare and hard to locate.

It's clear that the Yamaha TY models have a much larger base of used, NOS and recreated parts available for it, makes sense since they made so many more of them. In my mind this scarcity of parts (particularly body parts) makes the RL even more interesting, challenging and desirable.

Hope this helps!
IAOffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
nunzo OP
nunzo

Lights

Thanks for the feedback...I am now on the hunt. Any photo's of your setup would be appreciated.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAOffroader View Post
Other than the taillight, most of the rest of these parts are available either used or as NOS. Mounting the headlight would require some readily available aftermarket brackets. If I was modifying one for street I would install the Yamaha TY taillight most likely since the RL version seems to be very rare and hard to locate.
For a Suzuki tail light I would be looking at one from an early model PE series Enduro bike. From memory they were the same or at least very similar.
In New Zealand at least the RLs that were street legal from the factory all had batteries fitted on a bracket that was mounted on the left side of the bike behind the rear shock. The street legal bikes also had a shorter and fatter rear muffler than the one on the bike above.
If you are looking for a speedo drive the front hub was identical to the TS100/125/185 models from the mid 1970s.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #10
IAOffroader
n00b

RL 250 Street Legal Parts

Good points K1W1. I tried to find a good option of a Suzuki tail light that was actually available either used or new and really couldn't come up with anything but if someone has a good option that would be great.

If there are any photos of the battery set-up that would be great. I thought about mounting a small lithium battery somewhere but, at least on my bike, would require a different wiring harness because currently my RL doesn't have provisions for a battery and I don't want to cut into the factory harness. I'm not good with electrical/wiring issues so any suggestions again would be welcome.

One other point on the handlebar lighting switch - it is silver (TS185 switches are black) and has the switch to turn the headlight off and on. Most of the OEM switches that I looked at didn't offer this feature but with the right parts it can be added to an existing switch.

I forgot to mention the speedometer situation so thanks for mentioning that. K1W1 is correct - you can track down the parts from the TS series and fit them into the stock hub and many are available new. However, be careful because the early TS/TC 100, 125 & 185 came with 19" wheels which would not give accurate speed readings with the RL's 21" wheel. The later TS's used the 21" wheel (post 1976). I found a complete brake panel from a late model TS with all the parts in good shape. I assume that a Ossa, Bultaco, Montessa or Yamaha trials speedometer set-up would work but I haven't had any luck tracking down all of the parts required.

My challenge is finding a good trials type speedometer - any suggestion would be welcomed.

I will do my best to get some photo's posted of the factory lighting parts.
IAOffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAOffroader View Post
Good points K1W1. I tried to find a good option of a Suzuki tail light that was actually available either used or new and really couldn't come up with anything but if someone has a good option that would be great.

If there are any photos of the battery set-up that would be great. I thought about mounting a small lithium battery somewhere but, at least on my bike, would require a different wiring harness because currently my RL doesn't have provisions for a battery and I don't want to cut into the factory harness. I'm not good with electrical/wiring issues so any suggestions again would be welcome.

One other point on the handlebar lighting switch - it is silver (TS185 switches are black) and has the switch to turn the headlight off and on. Most of the OEM switches that I looked at didn't offer this feature but with the right parts it can be added to an existing switch.

I forgot to mention the speedometer situation so thanks for mentioning that. K1W1 is correct - you can track down the parts from the TS series and fit them into the stock hub and many are available new. However, be careful because the early TS/TC 100, 125 & 185 came with 19" wheels which would not give accurate speed readings with the RL's 21" wheel. The later TS's used the 21" wheel (post 1976). I found a complete brake panel from a late model TS with all the parts in good shape. I assume that a Ossa, Bultaco, Montessa or Yamaha trials speedometer set-up would work but I haven't had any luck tracking down all of the parts required.

My challenge is finding a good trials type speedometer - any suggestion would be welcomed.

I will do my best to get some photo's posted of the factory lighting parts.
have you found or visited trials central? Also note: Beamish bought all reamaining unsold suzuki RL's, in or after 76? and modified and sold them in euro countries for a few more years, also developed another engine I read. there is more information for trials stuff there, and then some, & not all in english, when you google it...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

RL 250 information.

This site - All Suzukis Ever Built is a great resource for brochures and other official information.

This thread on the Trials Australia web site forum contains a lot of information about a RL250 road legal rebuild. Unfortunately most of the pictures are no longer there but there are some videos. It may be worthwhile trying to get in contact with "Westy" directly.

As far as photos of bikes with the battery there was a brochure available in New Zealand and Australia that featured the road legal version with shots of the battery but I can't at this stage find any.

My personal road legal RL did not have a battery at all. From memory there was a simple lights on/off toggle switch on the left side headlight bracket from the forks with a two position high/low switch on the left handlebar. The horn was a simple rubber squeezy horn on the handlebar (legal then) and the brake light I think only came off the front brake using a standard TS front brake switch.
The rear taillight was a quite neat arrangement. We found a small rear rack off another bike and modified it so it mounted off the top shock mounts. We then made a bracket and screwed the number plate and tail light (a small unit designed for a trailer) directly to the rack. When I entered in events it was just a case of disconnecting the wires removing the rack.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
rlchick
n00b

Light kits are hard to find, I have found two for my bikes and plan to keep them. I paid quite a bit for both. A bike just sold on ebay that had a light kit. Ohio seems to have a lot of RL's listed on craigslist. I would put an add for one on craigslist. Expect to pay min 250 and probably up to 400. Good luck.
rlchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
rlchick
n00b

Attached is a copy of a link for a photo of how the light kit should be properly attached.

http://www.rl250.com/NScott11.JPG
rlchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #15
Pasquale G. (aka KH)
n00b

Oddometer: 4
RL Parts? .... Anywhere?

I've taken on a RL 250 trials restoration project. The only reason I decided to do it, was because I used to have a 1974 back in the day and man... did I love riding that thing. The problem now is that there seems to be only two companies around that even remotely say that they are in the business of supply and restoration of these motorbikes. And both of them do not respond to e-mail or telephone calls. Are they for real?

At this point, I'm looking for both fenders and a few other mechanical parts but overall it is in good mechanical condition. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find parts?
Pasquale G. (aka KH) is offline   Reply With Quote