ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #466
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,696
Nice shots (and editing)!
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #467
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer
 
Speed King's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Omaha
Oddometer: 1,565


Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #468
optimum_malarky
Premium nonsense
 
optimum_malarky's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Northern California.... twisty
Oddometer: 374
Sporty Guzzi, but which one?

First of all, beautiful bikes, all of them! There is something about the look of a Guzzi that speaks to me! I haven't ever ridden one, but I'm researching in hopes of buying my first in the next year or two. I'm more interested in the sporty guzzi's than the cruisers, so I've been researching the Griso (4V and 8V), the 1200 Sport and the V11 Sport series (I love the various editions -- Coppa Italia, Rosso Corsa, Ballabio, Scura, Nero Corsa... amazing!). With so many models to choose, I'm not sure which to pursue, so I'm looking to the experience of others for this one.

I'm less concerned with top end power than grunt, I'd like some range (I don't like searching for gas at just over 100 miles), and some two-up comfort would be nice. Handling is important, as is braking; I don't need sport-bike performance, but I do need to be able to get around obstacles easily, as well as make the most of the roads where I live. Price is also important, as I can't see spending more than $9-10K right now for this type of bike.

Thoughts? Advice? Resources I need to explore? (I've already been reading at wildguzzi.com)
__________________
Current: 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 1999 Honda VFR800i

Past:
2003 Suzuki SV1000 N,
2003 R1150 GS,2004 Triumph Speed Triple (wrecked), 2001 Triumph Sprint ST, 2003 Suzuki SV650, 1984 R80 ST , 1973 CB750
optimum_malarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #469
jdgretz
Looking for new places
 
jdgretz's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimum_malarky View Post
First of all, beautiful bikes, all of them! There is something about the look of a Guzzi that speaks to me! I haven't ever ridden one, but I'm researching in hopes of buying my first in the next year or two. I'm more interested in the sporty guzzi's than the cruisers, so I've been researching the Griso (4V and 8V), the 1200 Sport and the V11 Sport series (I love the various editions -- Coppa Italia, Rosso Corsa, Ballabio, Scura, Nero Corsa... amazing!). With so many models to choose, I'm not sure which to pursue, so I'm looking to the experience of others for this one.

I'm less concerned with top end power than grunt, I'd like some range (I don't like searching for gas at just over 100 miles), and some two-up comfort would be nice. Handling is important, as is braking; I don't need sport-bike performance, but I do need to be able to get around obstacles easily, as well as make the most of the roads where I live. Price is also important, as I can't see spending more than $9-10K right now for this type of bike.

Thoughts? Advice? Resources I need to explore? (I've already been reading at wildguzzi.com)
If you've been over to WildGuzzi then you know about Moto International in Seattle. They always have something good in stock for an outstanding price. A year or two old Griso, 1200 Sport or Norge for under 10K should be more than doable.

Drop a like to KITZE2 over on WG and get hooked up with the NoCal Guzzi bunch. That should help confuse your decision process even more

jdg
__________________
'07 Norge - the fast red one
'03 Honda Shadow 750 - Rocky
'99 Honda Helix - Little Zippy
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:53 AM   #470
Earl of Portchester
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Earl of Portchester's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Hampshire UK
Oddometer: 122
My Griso

Woohoo! A Guzzi thead!

Have posted pictures of my 2007 Griso on page 112 of the 'Your Italian Bike' thread so won't post those again, instead here are some other pictures.


Griso at Devizes


Griso at Newhaven


Griso at Goodwood
__________________
My name really is EARL!

www.guzzista.com/
Earl of Portchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 AM   #471
Scott of the Sahara
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Oddometer: 349
Here I am in Eastern Washington last September.

Scott of the Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #472
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snuffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Tucson
Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimum_malarky View Post
First of all, beautiful bikes, all of them! There is something about the look of a Guzzi that speaks to me! I haven't ever ridden one, but I'm researching in hopes of buying my first in the next year or two. I'm more interested in the sporty guzzi's than the cruisers, so I've been researching the Griso (4V and 8V), the 1200 Sport and the V11 Sport series (I love the various editions -- Coppa Italia, Rosso Corsa, Ballabio, Scura, Nero Corsa... amazing!). With so many models to choose, I'm not sure which to pursue, so I'm looking to the experience of others for this one.

I'm less concerned with top end power than grunt, I'd like some range (I don't like searching for gas at just over 100 miles), and some two-up comfort would be nice. Handling is important, as is braking; I don't need sport-bike performance, but I do need to be able to get around obstacles easily, as well as make the most of the roads where I live. Price is also important, as I can't see spending more than $9-10K right now for this type of bike.

Thoughts? Advice? Resources I need to explore? (I've already been reading at wildguzzi.com)
Exactly same here. Local dealer doesn't have a demo, don't know anyone that owns a guzzi, haven't even seen one on the streets in years and all the owners are showing off thier sweet rides in this thread.
My eye is on the Griso, any Griso, but just no clue as to what i would be getting into.
__________________
I pretend to work - they pretend to pay me
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM   #473
g容g
Canadian living in exile
 
g容g's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 41.655984,-71.302657
Oddometer: 6,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
Here I am in Eastern Washington last September.
Scott,

you need to lose the chrome mirrors & put a set of 1200 sport mirrors on. Not only will they look good w/ your color scheme, you'll actually be able to see stuff in them! (no vibes)
__________________
Greg
Europe 2013 Europe 2012 Europe 2011 England 2010 Gaspe PQ 2008 Nova Scotia 2007

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #474
waspp
Gnarly Adventurer
 
waspp's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: East Tennessee (escaped from NY)
Oddometer: 301
Speed King that LeMans 3 is a real beauty!!
__________________
03 Moto Guzzi rosso corsa
78 Guzzi T3 cafe
79 Moto Morini 3 1/2 sport
2011 BMW GS
2013 F650GS (the wife"s)
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #475
kirb
should be out riding
 
kirb's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Musky, MI
Oddometer: 1,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
Exactly same here. Local dealer doesn't have a demo, don't know anyone that owns a guzzi, haven't even seen one on the streets in years and all the owners are showing off thier sweet rides in this thread.
My eye is on the Griso, any Griso, but just no clue as to what i would be getting into.
I was in the same boat. I took the plunge the hard way. Plunked down $6k on an '07 Griso with 2400 miles to see if I would like it. I could always flip it a year later and not take that big of a hit.

Here it is a year later and I love it. It is a great replacement for my old '99M2 Buell. Sounds great, looks great, turns heads, draws crowds...it doesn't have a ton of range (~150 miles), but it's more of a 'round towner for me.

I need to post some pics, but I'm too lazy to pull the cover off this winter.
__________________
A Ducati, some Guzzi, a KTM, and a Excelsior...Indian in resto.
kirb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #476
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
JJGeo's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Sunny Seattle
Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by optimum_malarky View Post
First of all, beautiful bikes, all of them! There is something about the look of a Guzzi that speaks to me! I haven't ever ridden one, but I'm researching in hopes of buying my first in the next year or two. I'm more interested in the sporty guzzi's than the cruisers, so I've been researching the Griso (4V and 8V), the 1200 Sport and the V11 Sport series (I love the various editions -- Coppa Italia, Rosso Corsa, Ballabio, Scura, Nero Corsa... amazing!). With so many models to choose, I'm not sure which to pursue, so I'm looking to the experience of others for this one.

I'm less concerned with top end power than grunt, I'd like some range (I don't like searching for gas at just over 100 miles), and some two-up comfort would be nice. Handling is important, as is braking; I don't need sport-bike performance, but I do need to be able to get around obstacles easily, as well as make the most of the roads where I live. Price is also important, as I can't see spending more than $9-10K right now for this type of bike.

Thoughts? Advice? Resources I need to explore? (I've already been reading at wildguzzi.com)
I've owned a 2007 Griso 1100, and then a 2008 1200 Sport.

I regret selling the Griso, as it was a nice bike. I sold it to get the SMT though, which is a far better bike for any distance. It doesn't have the intangibles of the Guzzi though. I don't regret buying the SMT, just selling the Griso. I'll have another someday.

The 1200 Sport I don't miss. It just didn't do it for me. Braking was crappy (relative to the SMT which I had at the same time), and handling was heavy. Suspension needed work too, as did the fueling. All of this was fixable, but I just didn't want to spend the $$ on it since I wasn't in love with the bike.

For whatever reason I really like Guzzis, even though they aren't the lightest, fastest, best handling, or best stopping bikes. There's just something cool about them though...and I really like the V11s and Grisos. You should definitely ride one before you buy though...they're different.

Moto International up here in Seattle is awesome. Your not too far away in N. Cali so ride or fly up for a few days, stop by Moto I and ride a few of them...they're awesome about test rides...and like was said earlier, they always have great deals on left overs.
__________________
'03 Yamaha R6
'06 Ducati 749S - DEAD
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #477
Dust_
Adventure Dreamer
 
Dust_'s Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Lisbon, Portugal
Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott of the Sahara View Post
Here I am in Eastern Washington last September.



With 1000 different smilies there isn't one that's drooling?! This was the closest I got ;P

God I wish I had the money
__________________
Current bike:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Dust_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #478
Snuffy
Beastly Adventurer
 
Snuffy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Tucson
Oddometer: 1,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirb View Post
I was in the same boat. I took the plunge the hard way. Plunked down $6k on an '07 Griso with 2400 miles to see if I would like it. I could always flip it a year later and not take that big of a hit.

Here it is a year later and I love it. It is a great replacement for my old '99M2 Buell. Sounds great, looks great, turns heads, draws crowds...it doesn't have a ton of range (~150 miles), but it's more of a 'round towner for me.

I need to post some pics, but I'm too lazy to pull the cover off this winter.
Ok... time to take the plunge.
__________________
I pretend to work - they pretend to pay me
Snuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #479
joe cool
Studly Adventurer
 
joe cool's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: southwest,ohio
Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
Scott,

you need to lose the chrome mirrors & put a set of 1200 sport mirrors on. Not only will they look good w/ your color scheme, you'll actually be able to see stuff in them! (no vibes)
Greg, I think the stock mirrors are just fine. Had read a lot about owners switching them out, but so far they seem to work good for me.
__________________
"One more day I find myself alive
Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground"
Garcia/Hunter
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:51 PM   #480
Speed King
Beastly Adventurer
 
Speed King's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Omaha
Oddometer: 1,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by waspp View Post
Speed King that LeMans 3 is a real beauty!!
Thanks Man...it's a hell of a bike.
Speed King is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014