Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #1081
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxandwagovan View Post
I think i would prefer speakers so i can hear my surrounding also. and maybe be a little bit more comfortable even if it doesn't sound as good.
Every time I ride now I wear hearing protection. I was a daily commuter in the 5th largest city in the US for 12 years. Hearing protection does NOT make it more difficult to hear traffic or emergency vehicles. It does cut way down on wind noise though. The EAR buds are OSHA rated so they cannot get too loud. Properly fitting hearing protection is comfortable.

They're your ears. The beauty of damaging hearing is that it doesn't happen immediately.

Ever have ringing in your ears after a ride? Highway speeds + helmets make a lot of noise.

I did a lot of damage to my ears breaking the ton to Daytona on an inline-4 running an open header. I am very interested in preserving what hearing I still have. YMMV.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #1082
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
I have hearing issues as well. I still like to listen to tunes on the road though. I have been through a variety of products looking I liked. For a long time I used Skull Candy ear buds. Fit me good, sounded good. I recently bought a Carda Scala G4 and mounted the speakers in my helmet. I wear ear plugs and listen to music through the speakers Bluetoothed to my iPhone. I really like this solution alot.

Now back to Sportster content. I don't own one, but really like the XR1200. My main complaint with it is the small fuel capacity. I like to tour a bit and want a longer range.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #1083
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
Now back to Sportster content. I don't own one, but really like the XR1200. My main complaint with it is the small fuel capacity. I like to tour a bit and want a longer range.
http://www.rotopax.com/home.php

Old 02-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #1084
n8dawg6
krunkin'

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaSport View Post
My experience with the XR is that I'm usually ready to get off it after 200 miles or so. That's just 2 stops for gas, and I'm not gonna miss those stops anyway because I have to stretch my legs. The seating position is pretty good, but not THAT good. I guess my conclusion has been that the gas tank isn't necessarily the limiting factor on riding the XR for long distances. It can certainly go as far as you want it to, but straight out of the box (mine is 100% stock) it is not going to be the sort of mile-eater that something like a Road King would be. Not to say that it can't be modified to be a decent distance machine (there are definitely some people who are doing it). YMMV, as they say.

I share your sentiment about wanting a machine for longer trips, but my current thinking is to let the XR be what it is, and invest in a different machine for longer distances.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #1085
JGoody
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Still miss my 1964 XLCH (magneto, kickstart, right side shifter!) Sportster I had as a kid. Why'd I ever sell that beauty?
JGoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #1086
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,827
[Now back to Sportster content. I don't own one, but really like the XR1200. My main complaint with it is the small fuel capacity. I like to tour a bit and want a longer range.[/QUOTE]

I've done some long multi-day rides on my sportster. East of the mississippi, gas range is not a problem. 3.5 gal tank with an average mpg of about 50-55 gives me about 120 mi. before reserve. You will always find an open gas station along that 120 miles. If by a remote chance that you do see a 180+ mile stretch ahead of you with no gas, stop at a hardware store and buy a cheap 1 gal can and fill it. As soon as you burn 1 gal worth, stop and top off and then discard the can in a responsible manner. That alone will get you across Death Valley. Speaking in relative terms, the Sportster is more of a 'sport touring' bike and less of an 'adventure bike'. Sportsters rule the two lane black top. Keep it there and life with the sporty will be grand.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #1087
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post

I've done some long multi-day rides on my sportster. East of the mississippi, gas range is not a problem. 3.5 gal tank with an average mpg of about 50-55 gives me about 120 mi. before reserve. You will always find an open gas station along that 120 miles. If by a remote chance that you do see a 180+ mile stretch ahead of you with no gas, stop at a hardware store and buy a cheap 1 gal can and fill it. As soon as you burn 1 gal worth, stop and top off and then discard the can in a responsible manner. That alone will get you across Death Valley. Speaking in relative terms, the Sportster is more of a 'sport touring' bike and less of an 'adventure bike'. Sportsters rule the two lane black top. Keep it there and life with the sporty will be grand.
Meh. They are a blast on dirt roads. I wanna take my Connie off the pavement but I've got to convince myself to buy the $200 crash bars first--they are fragile bikes, unlike the XL.

derek

Old 02-23-2012, 12:22 PM   #1088
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
Meh. They are a blast on dirt roads. I wanna take my Connie off the pavement but I've got to convince myself to buy the $200 crash bars first--they are fragile bikes, unlike the XL.
I've ridden quite a few miles on dirt roads. Not on purpose, but if the pavement ends, I keep going. I think the suspension is too harsh with limited travel for dirt. So, I try to avoid it when I can. But set up proper, I agree it could be big fun, especially in wide open sweepers.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #1089
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Oh they are so much fun on the smooth wide sand roads like in the Ocala National Forest. Actually it is the most fun you can have on two wheels.
Barry
Old 02-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #1090
Reryder
Onward through the fog...

Oddometer: 1,398
The original big-bore dual sport. Took BMW about 30 years to copy them with the GS.

Reryder (AKA Hopper)
1977 Harley Sportster
81 BMWR100RS
01 HONDA VFR800
99 SV650
Ancient Harley 45, Snortster (Sporty engine in a Norton), Norton Atlas, Honda 350/4, Ariel HS scrambler
Reryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #1091
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Quote:
I've ridden quite a few miles on dirt roads. Not on purpose, but if the pavement ends, I keep going. I think the suspension is too harsh with limited travel for dirt. So, I try to avoid it when I can. But set up proper, I agree it could be big fun, especially in wide open sweepers.
But that's what makes it fun, at least for me. Anyone can take an XR-R down a dirt road. The fun comes in when a couple of guys on GSs are having to work to keep up.

If it's not a challenge, why do it?

derek

Old 02-24-2012, 04:09 AM   #1092
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky View Post
Oh they are so much fun on the smooth wide sand roads like in the Ocala National Forest. Actually it is the most fun you can have on two wheels.
Barry
I bet that is fun. Smooth, being the key word here. All dirt roads are not created equal. Up here in the north, alot of the roads are a hard pack clay mix. Almost pavement hard with a thin top coat of loose sand and gravel. Trecherous surface. Then, throw in random holes of varying width and depth just to make it intresting. Not for the timid or inexperienced. Then, we have deep soft sand... Heavier bikes with road bias tires suck there also.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:21 AM   #1093
Kentucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,219
Quote:
I bet that is fun. Smooth, being the key word here. All dirt roads are not created equal. Up here in the north, alot of the roads are a hard pack clay mix. Almost pavement hard with a thin top coat of loose sand and gravel. Trecherous surface. Then, throw in random holes of varying width and depth just to make it intresting. Not for the timid or inexperienced. Then, we have deep soft sand... Heavier bikes with road bias tires suck there also.
I could not agree more. The XR is not one for terribly rough surfaces. It is too hard on the motorcycle. I just couldn't abuse the bike like that. These sand roads are almost perfectly groomed and hard pack with a couple inches of cushion on top. They are also nice and wide. Don't get me wrong it is not for the faint of heart. Slower corner entry speed and throttle on the way out is the only way to go. Slowing the beast on that loose surface is sketchy. I was only out there one time and it wasn't abuse for me or it. Being anal about the condition of the bike kept me from doing anything stupid.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #1094
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reryder View Post
The original big-bore dual sport. Took BMW about 30 years to copy them with the GS.

I know, Our beloved Sportsters have a great and colorful history. Been there, done that, got the trophy to show for it! However, Times have changed and there are better bikes for the nitch. Sadly, 75% of my riding hours are spent on my dual sports now. But, when I want to drone out some serious pavement miles or go for a good back road brawl, the Sportster is still my weapon of choice. Always will be.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #1095
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
i really enjoy gravel roads/fire roads on my 1200r. i think its stable, and its very controllable and predictable if you want to do some power slides with it or just screw around, counter steer and throttle on :) you just gotta remember you and the bike weigh like 700lb if you are coming up to a sharp turn

just wish there was more of those sorts of roads around.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote