Yep, all from the accel pump.

www.AdventureRidingNZ.co.nz Free GPS tracks for New Zealand & more
www.FlyingtheChair.co.nz - NZ sidecar forums
Eddieb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #60422
silverwolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
It sounds like you are on the right track. I had a heck of a time tuning mine. i was trying to listen to the normal setup and it wouldn't run right. I have ended up with the 155 main, 5th clip on the needle and about 2.5 turns out on my 2009 with the procycle kit. I have stock exhaust and run usually around 2,500 ft. I get a consistent 50 mpg. I think I am still slightly lean as it runs better at 50-60 degrees than when it's mid 20's in the morning. Listen to the engine adjust as it feels right and ride it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibis View Post
Well, it pulls great now, with the 150, it will do a roll on throttle first gear wheelie, it would not do that with the 145 with out some coaxing. So it seem like it likes the 150, no bogging. I do have some surging, I just wish I could tell you what RPM

I have the mixture 2.5 turns out, 2 turn gave more surging, and 3 didn't change anything, Suzy had it set to 1.5 turns

Needle and spacer are in correctly, like I said, I'm pretty familiar with CV carbs. I could try the 145 and the needle at the 3rd slot, but then I'll have to take it all apart again

I'm thinking of just running a tank full through and seeing what the mileage is.
silverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:05 AM   #60423
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Got a question guys, I replaced my front sprocket last night. Going to a 520 setup, and using a 15t sprocket in the front. I just want to make sure I am installing it correctly. The raised side of the sprocket with the numbers faces in, correct? I am supposed to put the sprocket on, then the rubber seal, then put the retainer on, rotate the retainer in the slot so the holes line up with the sprocket holes, then screw it to the sprocket? This means the sprocket is locked in place and doesn't float on the countershaft? I thought the sprocket was supposed to float on the countershaft so it can self align with the chain? People sometimes ditch the retainer and use a clip instead, wouldn't this allow the sprocket to move back and forth on the countershaft?

520:

520:

Motodeficient screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 05:01 AM
Motodeficient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:09 AM   #60424
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

2009 with 3000 miles and pinging. Took the chain roller off. Turned fuel screw out 2 turns.
Filled with premium gas. $4.50 gal. still pinging. OUCH!! Plug closest to outside,nice color, inside one,white. Valves are in spec.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Heirhead
Did you just get the bike or is this a problem that has just started? DR650s are pretty noisey beasts by nature.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #60425
jlwilsonjr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasVolomitz View Post
Can't attach pics anymore, try Smugmug or another hosting site. You can also search for how to put pics in posts. Good luck.
I'll get more pics today. She is in need of a new battery so I'll get that sorted today. Anyone got a recommendation on a good battery?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66282888@N00/6775871076/
jlwilsonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:16 AM   #60426
amitos23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Question clutch plate order

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXIV-Dragon View Post
I believe it is the other way round, last in!
Thanks for the reply,

I was looking again at the manual and it seems it should go in first:

I think I will look at how the older one installed when I take the cover off and report,

Something fishy in the fiche

Amit
amitos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 AM   #60427
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwilsonjr View Post
I'll get more pics today. She is in need of a new battery so I'll get that sorted today. Anyone got a recommendation on a good battery?

Jerry you have a nice looking DR there. Enjoy it!
Today the Ohio ADV group is doing a dual sport ride. I am taking my 650 and the sun is blaring down. Pretty great situation for Feburary!!!

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #60428
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by heirhead View Post
Hello,

2009 with 3000 miles and pinging. Took the chain roller off. Turned fuel screw out 2 turns.
Filled with premium gas. $4.50 gal. still pinging. OUCH!! Plug closest to outside,nice color, inside one,white. Valves are in spec.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Heirhead
Couple of things to try:
If the gas was old or had been sitting for awhile the pilot jet may be gummed up. Try a healthy dose of a Techron additive for a tankful (the little bit in the gas won't do it). Or the carb may just need to be removed and cleaned.

Also the stock DR does not like lower RPMs and will make all sorts of horrible noises if you try to give it much throttle when the RPM is to low. Keep the RPMs up (over 2500\3000 if you have a tach). When in doubt downshift.

Also the chain can make a racket (and sound like engine noise) when loose and hitting the rear chain guide. Don't worry about it if that is the cause (it will quite down with time). Tightening the chain will cure the noise but it is easy to overtighten the chain, which is much worse. The DR chain has a way of going from too loose to too tight when only moving the adjuster one notch. So error on loose.

Good luck

Rumlover screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 07:40 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:24 AM   #60429
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodeficient View Post
Got a question guys, I replaced my front sprocket last night. Going to a 520 setup, and using a 15t sprocket in the front. I just want to make sure I am installing it correctly. The raised side of the sprocket with the numbers faces in, correct? I am supposed to put the sprocket on, then the rubber seal, then put the retainer on, rotate the retainer in the slot so the holes line up with the sprocket holes, then screw it to the sprocket? This means the sprocket is locked in place and doesn't float on the countershaft? I thought the sprocket was supposed to float on the countershaft so it can self align with the chain? People sometimes ditch the retainer and use a clip instead, wouldn't this allow the sprocket to move back and forth on the countershaft?
You have it right. It is undesirable to allow the sprocket to float on the shaft. While floating won't really hurt anything right away it will cause more wear in the shaft than if the sprocket is held firmly in place. The chain wobbles and whips around enough that it is a very unreliable way of locating the sprocket. What you want is the other way around - to have the sprocket keep the chain aligned.
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #60430
Motodeficient
Gnarly Adventurer

Great, glad to hear I have it right! Thanks for your response, as always.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #60431
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwilsonjr View Post

I buy the Power Sonic, PTX9-BS from a local industrial battery supplier for under $50 and it has lasted 4 years. It's time to be replaced now though. Doesn't hold a charge well. For the price, it is a great buy.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #60432
ADVBedouin
Rider

Oddometer: 396
DRZ400S vs; DR650SE

Cycleman, not sure what your primary riding will be; mostly onroad or offroad?

If you mainly want a street legal dirtbike for offroading, but will do 100+ mi tarmac sections getting there, then go DRZ400S & install a Sargent or Corbin, (or widen the stock seat 2" yourself w/ car upholstery foam). If you mainly want a comfortable long-distance or backroad touring bike to also explore dirtroads, then go DR650. The Laminar BKing windscreen fits/works great as a wind deflector on both DR & Z headlight nacelles.

I love my DR, but my stock Z was very capable & very fast offroad with excellent suspension/power, & not bad on long highway sections either. My pal bought my Z, modified it extensively, Corbin seat, etc, & road it 50k miles down to Patagonia, around NZ, Aus, southeast Asia, etc, so it can do long distance well. You really can't go wrong as they're both great bikes, just decide what you really want it for. Other inmates will have some good advice for you too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycleman4 View Post
Found a good deal on both bikes but not not sure which way to go. I intend to use the bike off road but it will surely see tarmac time. I like the travel and height of the DRZ better but not sure how it will be on the road for 100mi at a time. Thanks for the help. Thanks in advance.

ADVBedouin screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 10:34 AM
ADVBedouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:27 AM   #60433
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Well, got to ride today, put a few miles on and filled it back up, got 46.30 MPG
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #60434
KaceCoyote
Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer: 5,632
Honestly, the DRZ and the DR arent worlds apart.

The DRZ has better brakes and suspension, the DR is arguably more durable, more powerful and with an aftermarket tank has much longer legs. The DRZ is more agile, vs the DR which is pretty stable.

That said I've played around with friends who have DRZ-400SMs and my 650 made short work of them with my GP1s on. I'd bet it takes a much better pilot than your average joe to really utilize either platform to the point where the bike's limitations really tax street performance.

That said the DRZ felt pretty quick to about 40-ish. I like both bikes, but I bought the DR due to durability and highway capability. It'll go anywhere the DRZ will, it just wont do it as quickly or as cleanly.
Everybody talk to them end up in some danger
-MF Doom, Strange ways
KaceCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:16 PM   #60435
Nibis
Where to next?

Oddometer: 844
Tm40

Ahh, well hell, I just ordered a TM40, it's only money, right? Hope Procycle sends me one of those nice yellow coffee mugs, (hint hint, nod nod, wink wink)
Nibis is offline   Reply With Quote