Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 236 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #23236
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I took my son out onto the single track mtb trails yesterday. The poor kid crashed 6 times on the advanced loop. He kept losing the front and face planting in spectacular fashion.:loll The boy took it like a man, but I was glad to get out of there before any bones were broken after about 5 miles. He did pretty well considering he hasn't ridden the advanced loop and he's only 7.
Tire pressures OK?

Everybody, whom I've ridden with, that continually lost the frontend had too high tire pressures.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #23237
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Tire pressures OK?

Everybody, whom I've ridden with, that continually lost the frontend had too high tire pressures.
The front is a little low, but not dangerously so. The fork is stiff with virtually no travel for a rider who is 60 lbs. He needs to figure out that turning the bars with the front wheel off the ground is a bad idea. Also, his wet leaves avoidance skills need sharpening.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 AM   #23238
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
The front is a little low, but not dangerously so. The fork is stiff with virtually no travel for a rider who is 60 lbs. He needs to figure out that turning the bars with the front wheel off the ground is a bad idea. Also, his wet leaves avoidance skills need sharpening.
Ahhh, he's got plenty of time, to learn. You're fortunate in that he's wanting to be out there riding.
ducnut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:01 AM   #23239
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,850
HEY GUMMEE

Seen this?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...WWR_story.html

"Group plans cycling track at D.C.s Buzzard Point
Text Size PrintE-mailReprints
By Jonathan O'Connell, Published: February 23

A new nonprofit organization plans to build a velodrome or track cycling arena on Buzzard Point in Southwest Washington that organizers say will host competitive races and offer free classes for adults and children beginning this summer.

The group, DC Velodrome, has leased a parking lot on V Street SW, just off South Capitol Street, and plans to erect a 166-meter-long, oval-shaped wooden track with 48-degree banked turns."
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #23240
soewe812
Wag more Bark less

Oddometer: 999
Anyone know if mid 90's Schwinn Paramount R30 mtn bikes are any good or worth having?
soewe812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:33 PM   #23241
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Anyone know if mid 90's Schwinn Paramount R30 mtn bikes are any good or worth having?
a $700 (new in 1993) steel hard tail ? meh. forks from the 90s weren't very good compared with today's Fox Float and similar... looks like that bike has a load of Suntour XC 3x8 speed stuff, cantilever brakes, etc.

nothing special. its certainly not its namesake, the Schwinn Paramount road bikes of the 1970s were top line hand made-in-USA silver-brazed lugged cro-moly bikes which were comparable to Europe's best of the era.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #23242
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,670

Nuff said

M
Old 02-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #23243
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by soewe812 View Post
Is it a 93? It is actually a pretty cool bike. Not as high end as some from that era, but it is a lugged steel MTB. Parts for the Suntour stuff can be a little tricky to find, but with the help of ebay, not so bad.

This one? R30

Not really collectible, if that is what you are asking. Only buy if it is really cheap.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:18 PM   #23244
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
Is it a 93? It is actually a pretty cool bike. Not as high end as some from that era, but it is a lugged steel MTB. Parts for the Suntour stuff can be a little tricky to find, but with the help of ebay, not so bad.

This one? R30

Not really collectible, if that is what you are asking. Only buy if it is really cheap.
indeed, it was the bottom end of that line-up, with the R50 and up using Deore components. probably be best as a hybrid city-bike, as it doesn't even have a suspension fork (except, I prefer 700c on my city-bike, rather than 26' slicks)
Old 02-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #23245
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 858
I'm really, really, really, enjoying the new MTB. It absolutely smokes my old one in every respect.
I tried out a new section of trail on today's ride that was just opened late last week. There was still lots of straw on the trail that some corners interesting, but the fast, rolling decent at the end was worth the price of admission (a loose, steep-ass climb)!

Did I mention that I love my new mountain bike?

Old 02-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #23246
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,870
Tour of Toms Creek today. We didn't get the earliest start.

Kitty ate a bad bird the other morning, so he is not feeling his best. Hang in there, buddy.

Weather conditions today were nice. We did both loops on the east side of 221 counter clockwise.

The MST or McDowell trails people have been hard at work. They have buggered up a bunch of the creek crossings so a pedestrian can cross them with dry feet. They have also made the switchbacks more difficult by forcing you to go ALL the way to the end. They are getting a bit carried away, methinks.

We had a triple pit bull encounter on Huskins Branch Road. Not so fun. Luckily the owners were pulling out in their car, so they got on the dogs. Phew!

Hooray for Woodlawn! A very nice place to ride a bicycle.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:44 AM   #23247
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 4,850
Nice! I grew up in Newton.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #23248
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,670
I just got in from an easy hour on the bike. The goal was to not break a sweat. Mostly accomplished that. I went a little hard in one spot, but not too bad. Legs feel better than they did before I started out.

M
Old 02-27-2012, 12:47 PM   #23249
gearguywb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Amazing how much better an easy ride will make you feel. I typically go hard (for me anyway) on the weekends and then do an easy 1 hour spin on Monday's.
gearguywb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:06 PM   #23250
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNedster View Post
I'm really, really, really, enjoying the new MTB. It absolutely smokes my old one in every respect.
I tried out a new section of trail on today's ride that was just opened late last week. There was still lots of straw on the trail that some corners interesting, but the fast, rolling decent at the end was worth the price of admission (a loose, steep-ass climb)!

Did I mention that I love my new mountain bike?

Nedster, what did you get?
Tallbastid is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: