Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
skierd OP
Wannabe Far-Rider

Oddometer: 2,858
Chasing Dreams, vol. 2

A year ago I was a very different man. I was physically well but mentally and emotionally I was broken. Has it really only been a year? Almost to the day...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661723

I figured out a lot on that ride. First and foremost, stock spark plugs only. :lol: Let go of the planning and just ride. It took me over two weeks of fighting a schedule and itinerary that was completely self imposed before I realized I was being absolutely ridiculous and needed to relax and flow. I refined my pack list and gear wants/need immensely. I have zero doubts about what to bring with me or what to wear and have the necessary tweaks

Most importantly I think I finally found the courage to live for myself.

From my last post in the previous Ride's thread
Quote:
Oh well, everything was still the same. Except for me. Now nearly 6 months later, all them are gone from my life, I'm finishing my final semester in college. She gave me the heartache to love the Blues, and the rest gave me the impetus to travel. Winter's closing in fast again, first snow was actually yesterday. But this time I gotta plan, I've got a direction, and a goal. Next year, anywhere but here... time to get busy living.
I got busy living alright. I busted my ass and graduated in December with a degree in Art+Design. Then I started working toward a life that would never have me stuck again, allowing me the freedom to travel and do work that I like for the benefit of that goal. Being realistic in the fact that making a living as an artist is several years and lots of source material, practice, and hustling away, I want to work in the beverage industry or in motorcycles.

Long story short... I found a job bartending. In Alaska, for a cruise line's hotel. Starting in early April, through the end of September. The goal... well there is no goal. I've got an idea to follow the sun after the season is over and end up with a similar gig someplace warm over the winter... or maybe just hiding out in Baja for a while until the next season gets ready to start. Or not. Or maybe I'll hate it and end up working a 9-5 somewhere.

My trusty steed, as always, is my 2008 Yamaha WR250R. It has since had an X change so I'm running 17" wheels front and rear instead of the usual 21/18. I've also racked up a total of just under 31,000 miles on the old girl with nary a problem. Coolant and hoses were changed last week, so was the oil. Swapped the worn out stock seat foam for a seat concepts foam and cover. Heated grips are en route as is heated jacket, glove liners, and a dual controller. My trusty Nikon D40 will be doing photo duties along with my not so trust DroidX. No routes, except my old TAT maps, in my GPS just way points. My mountain hardware +35 bag is getting replaced by a Marmot never summer, and I'm shipping most of my clothes up ahead of me. Otherwise this is the same kit I've traveled with since 2010.

So why jinx myself again by posting so early? Because I'm terrified mainly... Will I even make it up there? What if I hate it once I'm there? What if i don't make enough to come back down? What if I crash and hurt myself or worse? How am I gonna handle mom crying again? And what would I think of myself in 20 years if I don't go...

But first, I have to get to Alaska. I leave in about a week. (Yes I know its still winter )
skierd is offline   Reply With Quote