Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #136
Tech23
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmcc View Post
Just had a go with the Impact Driver while doing brakes on my 09 Civic. I was attempting to remove the screws that hold on the rotor to the hub. Each and every bit supplied was destroyed in a matter of minutes. I think they may have been formed from cheese. I threw everything in the garbage where it belongs.

At $5.99 I was not heartbroken, but those screws are not exactly hard work to remove. Major FAIL from me.

Sounds like cheap bits...the driver must have worked OK to shear the bits. I'm thinking the driver with better bits would have worked well.

Tech23

2000 Harley Davidson FXDWG
2011 Victory Cross Country
Tech23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #137
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
$89 2 stroke generator

3 months ago while living in my camper in Arizona my battery went dead so I hopped on my motorcycle and picked up this little 2 stroke 800/900 watt generator and a battery charger at HF. Nearest I can tell it's an exact copy of a Yamaha ET800, the simplest generator imaginable. I've put well over 100 hours on it so far and I'm quite pleased with how it works including the low noise level. It'll be on sale for $89 again March 9-11.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...tor-66619.html
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 04:56 PM   #138
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech23 View Post
Sounds like cheap bits...the driver must have worked OK to shear the bits. I'm thinking the driver with better bits would have worked well.

Tech23
You know that may be on purpose (to a point) the cheezy bits. I have a very good driver, from way back then working at the Honda/Yamaha shop and the bits are pretty soft. Maybe not to cause further damages to the fasteners....dunno but I certainly need new Phillips bits after 35 or so years.

Even bent an old Proto 3/8 drive Phillips bit on my very old Blue Point Impact a few days ago and that p....d me off it was my Grandpa's.Ouf....the Bing bolts heads survived but still stuck and I just can't heat "them" up.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #139
der_saeufer
?איפה בירה

Oddometer: 494
The chain breaker on sale for $10 cut my beat-to-hell 525 chain like a hot knife through butter. Hard to argue with that.
der_saeufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 AM   #140
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
3 months ago while living in my camper in Arizona my battery went dead so I hopped on my motorcycle and picked up this little 2 stroke 800/900 watt generator and a battery charger at HF. Nearest I can tell it's an exact copy of a Yamaha ET800, the simplest generator imaginable. I've put well over 100 hours on it so far and I'm quite pleased with how it works including the low noise level. It'll be on sale for $89 again March 9-11.

http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...tor-66619.html
I like the way the specs describe it as OHV with a 50:1 mix ratio.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 AM   #141
Meles meles
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
This chain hoist and I-beam trolley worked really well for pulling the motor from a British Sportscar. I needed the 2-Ton trolley since the I-Beam in my garage is fairly wide, but there are 1,2, 3 ton varieties.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-c...ley-40493.html

Can't find much wrong with their 1000 lb engine stand either.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb...and-32916.html

Meles meles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:12 AM   #142
Oshiat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI LT Owner View Post

I've used this baby three times to move my snowblower and leaf vacuum around town in the back of my pickup. Works a whole lot better than the long wooden pallet I was using for the past 5 years. Back in September, I used a coupon and got this thing for $50.
I've been using the same ramp for our dirtbikes since 2005. Had 2 250lb guys and a SV650 on it once, was a bit nervous but it was fine. Has been money well spent,
Oshiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 AM   #143
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,618
Yeah, pretty funny. Also the 91 db noise rating which is actually 61 db. In the owners manual maintenance schedule it says to change the gas every 100 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
I like the way the specs describe it as OHV with a 50:1 mix ratio.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #144
ThomasVolomitz
New Old Stock

Oddometer: 4,323
I had a 1000 w Chicago generator from HF a few years back and just couldn't keep it running. I have since purchased a Honda 2000 w and been extremely pleased with it. Big price difference.

Most everything else I have purchased at HB has been outstanding. I could easily bought a lemon and I no longer see that particular model listed on their site.

Still Riff Raff....

Riff Raff lives again! Rally Pan Am Dakar 2015
ThomasVolomitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 PM   #145
Jonney99
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
Thumbs down tools

bought a 1/2 inck=h inpact to remove wheels - would not greak the lugs loose-JUNK
Bought some air blowers to connect to air hose ends fell off also yellow air line busted a major leak
The best thing I got from there is a set of picks with orange handels on it I like them $5 will never go back
Old 02-26-2012, 12:05 AM   #146
Creation
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshiat View Post
I've been using the same ramp for our dirtbikes since 2005. Had 2 250lb guys and a SV650 on it once, was a bit nervous but it was fine. Has been money well spent,
Mine busted after 4 years... 80.00 well spent. I used it to load my moms civic, Mercedes, my bikes, atvs, and a dunebuggy
Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #147
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,806
Anybody have any experience with this bearing separator:

How about this one:

I'm mainly looking for a tool to do steering stem bearings but it may also come in handy for other work.

Cheers
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #148
Pez
b00b

Oddometer: 595
Great experience’s with most of what I have bought from HF. And nice thing if it breaks then it can always be turned into a "specialty tool" or so called art. Plus its cheap so who gives a fuck? But I can't do it anymore.. I can't bring myself to ever go into another HF again. Reason being I was standing in line and there was a American Flag for sale. Where was it made? In china. I truly felt sick. No more HF for me.

A message for all of Humanity
Pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM   #149
JimVonBaden OP
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
Great experience’s with most of what I have bought from HF. And nice thing if it breaks then it can always be turned into a "specialty tool" or so called art. Plus its cheap so who gives a fuck? But I can't do it anymore.. I can't bring myself to ever go into another HF again. Reason being I was standing in line and there was a American Flag for sale. Where was it made? In china. I truly felt sick. No more HF for me.
Sadly, many American flags are made in China. I work for DHS. Guess where we get our logo pens?

None the less, I still frequest HF. More and more USA made items are there to be had.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #150
P B G
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez View Post
In china. I truly felt sick. No more HF for me.
What could be more American than paying cheap foreigners to sew our inexpensive products?
P B G is offline   Reply With Quote