Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
SteveO OP
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,157
Yuma 2 Parker

My brother and I decided to take on a ride from Yuma to Parker and back via the back-roads. I had mapped out a route via MapSource, BaseCamp and Google Earth. For the most part it was pretty accurate, and of course we had to improvise a few times. However, I did track where we went with my 276C GPS, and compared those results to what we were originally following. I've since cleaned up our route and posted it on DualSportMaps.com for others who would like to take on this adventure.

My brother is sporting a late model KLR 650 with some protection and a cushy ride. We did swap out rides for a short bit, and I was shocked at just how much his KLR felt like a Cadillac compared to my KTM.

I was sporting a 2012 KTM 500 EXC updated with some protection and a Tail Rack from Globetrottin. I gotta say, that rack from Globetrottin kicks butt, it was solid the entire trip, even after multiple crashes.

The route that we took was shorter than what we had initially had planned. Due to time constraints, we ended up cutting out the alternate 137 mile route. We ended up just taking the highway back home to Yuma. At the end of the day we were happy to have done that, since we were both wiped out and needed a rest and a shower. Whew, we really needed a shower.

Here is a picture of the GPS info that showed some stats on the route we did take:

My Bro and I after we got our crap packed up and ready to hit the trail

My Setup

This was a bad mistake on my part. Note how the bands are located behind the exhaust. This was a bad move on my part. I ended up melting some of the netting.....not good.

Our camp spot. We used the Luxerylite cots, bivvy sacks and some sleeping bags. This turned out to work quite well..

Some of the nastier terrain

Argghhhh, took another soil sample....

Sheesh, that KLR is heavy

Stopping to check out an old mine shaft

Running out of daylight....

Apparently Harry has his own chair at the Bouse Gas station...

Link to Map: http://www.dualsportmaps.com/?link=102719

SteveO screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 01:49 PM
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote