Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #31
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraberg View Post
You mistakenly think that new triumphs are similar to older models in the sense of reliability. My Sprint is turning into the most reliable machine I've ever owned, with the miles stacking up, and nothing but fuel, oil filters and tires needed.
My T595 Speed Triple has 115,000 on it, 95,000 on the motor, I have to rebuild the suspension and changed the head bearing.

Since 2001 I have upgraded the motor to Daytona specs, degreed the cam, shaved/ported the head.....and done routine maintenance, put a barret clutch in at 35,000 miles, and that was the last time I took anything not the valve cover off the motor.

...and the T595 isn't as reliable as the 955i or 1050.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #32
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,766
Don't get me wrong, I love Honda.
I think the CBR1000RR is a great machine. Probably one of the better literbikes out there.

But, the more fun commute and street experience will probably be on the Triumph.

I like the CB1kR, but it's not an option here.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #33
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
They're both rad bikes but as others have pointed out not exactly in the same category. If it were me I'd choose the S3 because I find naked bikes to be better street machines than repli-racers like the CBR. Also, regarding reliability let's not forget the single ring piston 2008 CBR1000 that had a nasty reputation for burning oil. Some reported as much as 1 quart per 500 miles. I believe the new versions have gone back to a 2 ring piston design and are much better in this regard but just because something says Honda on it doesn't guarantee it is bullet-proof. That said, in general I love Hondas and the CBR is definitely a mean machine so I doubt you'll be dissapointed with either bike. If you prefer track days and blazing top-end with a committed sport riding position go for the CBR. If you prefer a more sport-touring riding position and tons of low to midrange power go for the S3. If your rich get both!
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #34
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,470
I came very close to a CBR1000RR a few years ago. When they came out with the ABS models. I got a ride on one, and it weighed nothing, handled telepathically, and had gobs of power. It's a brilliant bike. I probably would have gone through with it but the rumors of the BMW were coming out, and I waited to see what would happen.

I've liked the Speed Triple since the original ones came out. I've ridden older ones, but not the latest. It's a do everything well bike for sure, and for street use, I doubt you'd ever come close to it's limits much like the Honda. On the track, it's really all rider, but I think the CBR has a better riding position.

Neither is a bad bike obviously. I think it's one of those go with your heart decisions rather than on specs.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #35
HighRiver
taking the checkered

Oddometer: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryn1203 View Post
Triumph carries more cache - way cooler. Ridden both - liked both, prefer Trumpet.

If you want grunt tho why not get a 2008 > Buell ulysses and 'bomber' it? I am pretty sure a Buell would out gun both the Honda & Trumpet on the twisties and roll-on overtaking type speed between 40 - 90mph 2c

Thanks, that made my day..... ;)
Motomarathon, CO. 2010 ASMA #309
IBA#34978~ SS1000~ 10.11.08
B2B Insanity~ BB1500~ 10.17.10
Alaska Blog-http://3umphak.wordpress.com/
HighRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #36
Tilter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondsflat View Post
You really going to put a Triumph against a Honda in terms of reliability???? I would not trust a triumph out of sight from a dealer or a person who can work on one...a Honda....gas, oil and go for 100-200k all.. day long
You ever own a Triumph? In the last decade?
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #37
Chronic
The Spice must flow!

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
Top speed isn't that critical to me. Grunt and acceleration is.
Th Speedie is exactly what this comment is all about !! The low & mid-range torque is intoxicating, seriously.........

Top end speed is still plenty, but, you best lay flat on the tank, 'cause that wind balst be wanting lift ya bad around 120 mph

I upgraded mine to Ohlins all around(tuned to me) and better rear-sets.........and I can really mash it in the curvies.

Also......super dependable. As was my Sprint ST during it's 42,000 miles in my possession.
Chronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #38
sportmotogear
Mr. Fancy Pants

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
You ever own a Triumph? In the last decade?
You might want to make that in the last quarter of a century.

'09 Tuono
x- '05 Ducati ST3 stolen
x- '04 Tiger sold
x- '02 Daytona sold
x- '99 Sprint ST RIP
x- '95 Sprint RIP
sportmotogear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #39
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,522
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondsflat View Post
You really going to put a Triumph against a Honda in terms of reliability???? I would not trust a triumph out of sight from a dealer or a person who can work on one...a Honda....gas, oil and go for 100-200k all.. day long
What do you think of Aprilia?

Old 02-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #40
Johnny Dakar OP
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongolia View Post
What do you think of Aprilia?

This is a good question, because a local dealer still has '08 and '09 SuperDukes and Tuonos, New, for $8999...now I'm thinking the S3R is the ultimate bike I want, but for almost twice that. Worth it?
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #41
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,470
The Tuonos are sweet bikes. Nothing like a naked bike that doesn't compromise performance. A lesson the Japanese could learn from. I personally liked the early Tuonos the best, but I have no doubt that the later ones are all around better. It's just an aesthetics thing.

The S3R is a tasty bike for sure. I spent some time checking them out after reading this thread. There is no way it's close to twice the bike the Tuono is though.

I had a nice ride on a SuperDuke. It really didn't do it for me. I wasn't impressed with the fuel injection on it, very sensitive. Handling was, for a better word, too instant. It wasn't a "fun" bike for me to ride, as it felt like you had to be on alert at all times. I rode it and the 950SM back to back, and almost went home with the SM.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #42
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

What year SD did you ride? Based on your descripgion of the handling I'm guessin g it was an '05 or '06? The '07 and up is extremely stable.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:12 PM   #43
Johnny Dakar OP
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,795
Test rode a SuperDuke once...thought I'd be blown away. Surprisingly, not much more acceleration than my GSA. Didn't have a chance to ride any twisties, thought.
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #44
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Test rode a SuperDuke once...thought I'd be blown away. Surprisingly, not much more acceleration than my GSA. Didn't have a chance to ride any twisties, thought.
Stock the SD is only about 105 RWHP so seat of the pants acceleration won't be that much more. However, they are considerably lighter so had you have made it to the twisties I would have expected the SD to be a bit more spry.........especially if the GSA were fully fueled.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #45
Croak
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
This is a good question, because a local dealer still has '08 and '09 SuperDukes and Tuonos, New, for $8999...now I'm thinking the S3R is the ultimate bike I want, but for almost twice that. Worth it?
A 2nd-gen (2006-2010) Tuono is an awesome bike, still stacks up well against even the latest S3, and can be farkled to go head to head with the S3R (or you could find a Tuono Factory model, the Ohlins upgraded version)

The Rotax twin is dead-nuts reliable, sounds great, runs great, but ain't exactly what you'd call economical with fuel.

I love Triumphs and own one, but ended up going the 1st-gen Tuono route when I was looking for a big naked. It's just much more visceral than the 1050 Speedy.

And if you can wait a couple more months, the Tuono V4R APRC is worth looking at, and will be priced very close to the S3 (and less than the S3R). 167HP and light, with well received traction control and riding modes.

Croak screwed with this post 02-26-2012 at 06:14 PM
Croak is offline   Reply With Quote