Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 09:19 AM   #1186
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
For the question how it is on gravel compared with a stock Varadero I would say equal as good / bad... ;)

Guys, something came up on my twisted mind after re-reading my own report. The facts are simple...: The Crosstourer CAN NOT be compared with f.e. GSA & family because... It isn't a GSA, Varadero, Stelvio, Gran Passo or whatever.

It's a Crossover. A funky tourer, a dust devil in Armani suit on expensive shoes. Not more, not less. I can't see it going offroad the way a GSA could do.

But is that a problem? Nope. But for the guys who have the nerves to do so with this bike, I am most certain that it won't break down on places where a GSA would (every one knows the fact that during the Long Way Around tour BMW replaced the full frame of the R1150GS used by our two stars).

Although Honda says it’s a Varadero replacement, I say it isn't. During the press release it was not compared with the Varadero; but with the VFR1200F; being the more 'sophisticated' younger brother of the VFR.

Resume: If you are looking for a nice 'sophisticated' bike to take you on long tours in all comfort you desire without getting a Senior Biker Impact you receive riding a Goldwing or - any - BMW touring bike, the Crosstourer is yours.

I still think the CT is an good offer. But I would hold my horses till I've had an opportunity to test ride the new Triumph Tiger Adventure. Tommorow I will see it in the flesh at the Utrecht International Motorcycle exhibition. But till that moment, the CT is in my opinion the best buy - looking only at the way 99% of the buyers are using their big trail adventure bikes: ONroad.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #1187
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tall & Small?

OK, I'm 6,8ft / 2,04 meters tall. Typically Dutch I would say ;) This is how the CT compares in a 'bike to ridersize' compare match with my Varadero:

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #1188
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Tall & Small (2)

Look at the angle in which my upper leg is positioned and you will see that it looks if the Dero is higher. That is the case, but keep in mind that my Dero is raised on Technoflex suspension (up to one inch / 3 cm). The seating high of the Dero is (I believe) off-work only 1 cm higher as the 850cm of the Crosstourer...:

But it is obviously that the Varadero Fuel storage is up to 25 liter (weight: 283 kg). So... what's heavy, what's small... It puts it all in another perspective... ;)

Old 02-24-2012, 09:57 PM   #1189
Twohondas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
Two more reviews....sort of

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...er-review.html

http://www.adventurebikerider.com/co...er-review.html
Twohondas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #1190
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,245
Quote:
Honda's take on the (immediate) future of adventure bikes was presented at a recent press launch of the new Crosstourer. First impressions were a sleeker, cleaner, sportier-looking take on the adventure sector that's so long been dominated by the bulbous, clunking bruiser that goes by the name of the BMW GS.
Quote:
BMW R1200GS, £11,595
.... It’ll cross deserts and mountain ranges, too, though reliability and build quality are well below Honda’s standards.
Good to see that brought up by a journo....

Some of those comments might require some re education from BMW I think.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:09 AM   #1191
atermon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs View Post
OK, I'm 6,8ft / 2,04 meters tall. Typically Dutch I would say ;) This is how the CT compares in a 'bike to ridersize' compare match with my Varadero:
looks small. can't see how it can be made to fit you on par with the Varadero even with raised suspension. especially the fering and wind screen don't seem to offer much to a guy your size.
would love to see your pic on the Triumph Explorer when you get to test ride it.
atermon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #1192
Squily
Squily

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:

Guys, something came up on my twisted mind after re-reading my own report. The facts are simple...: The Crosstourer CAN NOT be compared with f.e. GSA & family because... It isn't a GSA, Varadero, Stelvio, Gran Passo or whatever.

But is that a problem? Nope. But for the guys who have the nerves to do so with this bike, I am most certain that it won't break down on places where a GSA would (every one knows the fact that during the Long Way Around tour BMW replaced the full frame of the R1150GS used by our two stars).

I'm sure the CT's will end up in weird places though. My Varadero's manual clearly state it's not an off-roader (and my wife reminds it of that often)...

but it's proven itself reliable so far, if you ride it sensibly. As I'm sure the CT would be?

Squily
Squily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #1193
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twohondas View Post
Enjoyed that review, thanks. Slightly different perspective from the usual magazine road-tester: more adventure tourer perspective.

This bike is coming off as surprisingly attractive. It shouldn't work, but looks like it will. Even off-tarmac.

The range issue comes up again. But again, there are comments about the pace the test riders were running:

"we headed into the hills, flicked the auto from D to S (sports) mode and the pace leapt well to the north of spirited. For the next 30 minutes it was diving in and powering out of 180's and tight 90's while doffing my cap to the massive torque."

and:

"I reckon it would be fair to say that not many would buy the Crosstourer and ride it at the sort of pace and aggressiveness that ours were put through on the launch test. I know I certainly wouldn't."

Back in the day I attended the odd bike press-launch and inevitably the ride would degenerate to a race within seconds of the route departing well policed highways. The comment above suggests not much has changed. The reviewer is observing that he was riding on the launch harder than he would ride the bike if he owned one. That is saying quite a bit, when you think about it.

The 35mp(UK)g quoted doesn't sound bad at all to me, riding a heavy rig at big throttle openings from one slow-speed corner to the next.

So again, I'm looking forward to hearing from early owners about the fuel efficiency when just touring along.

Positive comments from this reviewer about the DCT: said he'd go for that version.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 PM   #1194
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,561
Suspension travel

Can't remember seeing this posted before: suspension travel is quoted at this site as 153mm front and 150mm rear.

If that is right, I am starting to understand the conflicting comments from reviewers about the ride quality.

Honda says "long travel" suspension but those figures exceed typical road bike figures by only 25mm (one inch) or less.

So the potential is there for a slightly softer ride than you could get from a conventional sport-tourer, but that's it.

And if they have sprung it a bit firmer for handling big loads on rough roads, then that's gone.

Anybody expecting BMW GS (190mm F/200mm R) or Yamaha Super Tenere (190mm/190mm) plushness would be disappointed.

Even the Duc Multistrada offers 170mm/170mm. Closest to the Honda is the Guzzi Stelvio, with 170mm/155mm.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #1195
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

I will be testing the CT for a longer time period later next month. This weekend, the press is riding the new Triumph Tiger. Kevin Ash already published his report which I for sure can underline!

Old 02-26-2012, 02:34 AM   #1196
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
This weekend, the press is riding the new Triumph Tiger. Kevin Ash already published his report which I for sure can underline!
probably one of the most positive reviews I've read in a long time and he is planning a more comprehensive test soon
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:11 AM   #1197
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,535
Little vid. Sounds sweet.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...tourer-launch/
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #1198
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,535
By all accounts there will be a SE version here in the UK. For £1000 more you get a center stand, crash bars and full luggage, which if purchased separately, will cost £2200.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 AM   #1199
precarious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
By all accounts there will be a SE version here in the UK. For £1000 more you get a center stand, crash bars and full luggage, which if purchased separately, will cost £2200.
If only more manufacturers offered deals like that.
precarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:34 AM   #1200
Two Plugs OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by precarious View Post
If only more manufacturers offered deals like that.
Honda did this previously with the 'travel' trim on the XL1000V Varadero 'Travel' and the XL700V Transalp.