Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #31
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
I look forward to crashing head long into logs and rocks.

Marc

That's half the fun of Trials. I do it all the time!
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #32
xrmattaz
sputum is my bread/butter

Oddometer: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus
That's half the fun of Trials. I do it all the time!

Amen, brother. Still nursing my back (one week ago, today, since my little "incident")......

Called Lewissport yesterday, Mandy is sending my new "slow throttle".
'00 KLR (#6 since '88, keeping this one!)
'06 Road Glide
Coupla street legal quads, gotta love AZ!
'06 Gas Gas TXT300 Raga (gone...back surgeons fault)
Many many others since 1976, first 3 "cars" in my life were motorbikes.
xrmattaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:15 PM   #33
mike cummins
OUTBACK RIDER

Oddometer: 720
tl125s

love the tl
I hhave the same one tha im doing up when i get home. Does anyone know a parts supplier
The bike is running and registerable as it. However i want to bring it back to life.Needs side covers.....
mike cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #34
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Dragged OJ out to get friendly with it today. I'm entering it in the Sandia Classic vintage trials next weekend. Hope doing silly stunts like this helps......

Another shot, same silly-assed up.......

And a beauty shot of it parked next to NMTA member Tracy Brooks' very nice example. Something had to beauty up old OJ!

Sandia Classic Vintage Motorcycle weekend is next weekend. I'll post it in the "Upcoming Events" thread also.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #35
figurehead
Bring It On

Oddometer: 34
I'll have to be honest, that looks painful...

And you own a 4RT, blasphemy.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:44 AM   #36
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by figurehead
I'll have to be honest, that looks painful...

Only the landings!
Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #37
motogirlnm
n00b

Oddometer: 2
What was that gear shift lever I needed to get for the Reflex? So they can be even more like twins!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #38
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogirlnm
What was that gear shift lever I needed to get for the Reflex? So they can be even more like twins!

If I remember right, the shift lever is an aftermarket (MSR I think) for a Honda CRF150R. Works well with the lowered pegs.

Congrats on your first post!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #39
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogirlnm
1st post!! Yeah!!!!

My speach to her worked! Now you're an official inmate!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM   #40
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,512
Abandon all hope, ye who enter here. And stay away from the picture threads if you have something important to do.
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #41
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Elsewhere on the forum you will see where I have dedicated myself to ride this awful pile in NMTA's Twinshock class this year.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767608

It is an effort spearheaded by myself to see the Twinshock class succeed here with NMTA. Since this bike has been (at best) thrown together, I thought I would at least shore up a few shortcomings for the upcoming season.

I started by dragging off the back porch. I had dumped it back there after winning my class in the McClanahan fun Trial last fall.

Accepting the 1st place medal last year with quiet dignity and grace -

Anyhoo, I decided to weld up a positive stop onto the OE kickstarter stop bracket. The OE bracket never really worked that well, allowing the kickstarter to rotate past it on multiple occasions. Since I am NOT going to split the cases on this heap to replace a broken kickstarter gear (I'll junk it first), I decided to nip that problem in the bud.

The well-worn stop bracket -

I cut a piece of 3/8" square steel stock, and welded it up -

Some cheap no-name rattlecan black paint hid my goober welds -

While I had the MIG welder out, I figured I might as well widen the stock footpegs. I had lowered them 4 years ago when I assembled this mess, but never got around to making them more proper Trials pegs. I knew exactly where I had left the other set of 'Flex pegs on the shelf, along with other leftover 'Flex parts. I figured maybe an hour's worth of cutting apart the leftover pegs and welding them onto the bike's pegs would be well worth it. Just one problem....

Yup, one peg has gone MIA. I gave up looking for it after an hour-and-a-half. It's gone, no clue where it got off to.

While re-installing the kickstarter stopper bracket, I noticed that the spark plug cap had a bit of a problem -

Removing the cap revealed another problem -

Hmmm. I really should replace that spark plug. It has been in there since I built the bike.

Naah. I straightened the plug pin with some pliers, and replaced the cap.

The duct-tape seat cover is looking a bit ratty -

So in the spirit of OJ, I left it alone. I gave the old heap a quickie bath, lubed the chain, and put it away for the evening.

Lookout NMTA Twinshock, here we come!

brewtus screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 07:34 PM Reason: 3 years, 4 years, whatever. It's a pile.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #42
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,888
Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 PM   #43
Garthe
ROCKS ARE YOUR FRIENDS...

Oddometer: 4,341
Old 02-26-2012, 01:53 AM   #44
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Elsewhere on the forum you will see where I have dedicated myself to ride this awful pile in NMTA's Twinshock class this year.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767608

It is an effort spearheaded by myself to see the Twinshock class succeed here with NMTA. Since this bike has been (at best) thrown together, I thought I would at least shore up a few shortcomings for the upcoming season.

I started by dragging off the back porch. I had dumped it back there after winning my class in the McClanahan fun Trial last fall.

Accepting the 1st place medal last year with quiet dignity and grace -

Anyhoo, I decided to weld up a positive stop onto the OE kickstarter stop bracket. The OE bracket never really worked that well, allowing the kickstarter to rotate past it on multiple occasions. Since I am NOT going to split the cases on this heap to replace a broken kickstarter gear (I'll junk it first), I decided to nip that problem in the bud.

The well-worn stop bracket -

I cut a piece of 3/8" square steel stock, and welded it up -

Some cheap no-name rattlecan black paint hid my goober welds -

While I had the MIG welder out, I figured I might as well widen the stock footpegs. I had lowered them 4 years ago when I assembled this mess, but never got around to making them more proper Trials pegs. I knew exactly where I had left the other set of 'Flex pegs on the shelf, along with other leftover 'Flex parts. I figured maybe an hour's worth of cutting apart the leftover pegs and welding them onto the bike's pegs would be well worth it. Just one problem....

Yup, one peg has gone MIA. I gave up looking for it after an hour-and-a-half. It's gone, no clue where it got off to.

While re-installing the kickstarter stopper bracket, I noticed that the spark plug cap had a bit of a problem -

Removing the cap revealed another problem -

Hmmm. I really should replace that spark plug. It has been in there since I built the bike.

Naah. I straightened the plug pin with some pliers, and replaced the cap.

The duct-tape seat cover is looking a bit ratty -

So in the spirit of OJ, I left it alone. I gave the old heap a quickie bath, lubed the chain, and put it away for the evening.

Lookout NMTA Twinshock, here we come!
There is no real need for welding extra parts on the kickstart stop............to cure the problem on your bike all that was required was to loosen the kicker clamp bolt and tap the lever inwards fully onto the spline.

9-42/44 gearing works well on these little bikes, and there is no need for enormous back sprockets which are quite susceptible to damage.

Steepening the head angle 2 degrees moving the rests down and back a little improves steering handling a great deal, and with a few simple mods to intake and exhaust a TLR is reasonably competitive against modern bikes in easier events.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #45
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
There is no real need for welding extra parts on the kickstart stop............to cure the problem on your bike all that was required was to loosen the kicker clamp bolt and tap the lever inwards fully onto the spline.
Been done multiple times. The kickstarter lever always made it's way back out to the end of the shaft, and usually at the exact wrong time. The welded bracket took up a whopping 45 minutes out of my life, so I call it good.

Quote:
9-42/44 gearing works well on these little bikes, and there is no need for enormous back sprockets which are quite susceptible to damage.
Tried that. It was still a bit speedy, since the XR200 based engine does not have a really low primary gearing. OJ is a bit more versatile with the low gearing, especially in soft sand (where most of the next Trial is set, BTW). For long hillclimbs, I just upshift.

Quote:
Steepening the head angle 2 degrees moving the rests down and back a little improves steering handling a great deal, and with a few simple mods to intake and exhaust a TLR is reasonably competitive against modern bikes in easier events.
I have a very nice 4RT for modern events. No desire whatsoever to cut and weld the frame on OJ. Ditto for intake and exhaust mods. The pegs have already been lowered, and widening them is in the works. I will modify the upper clamp for some Fatbars soon, along with raising them a bit. As for a bunch of hootchie mods after that, pass. It works just fine in it's own magnificently crappy way.