Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 4.83 average. Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM   #1681
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
5 gallons of Def. $28 after tax @ my local autoparts store.
It took ~4 gallons to fill it.

8553miles/4 gallons = 2138 miles/gallon.
$28/5 = $5.60 gallon

Conclusion: The consumption of DEF over 1000 miles costs less than a gallon of diesel.

Average fuel fillup: $80.
Average fuel range: 400 miles
8553 / 400 = 21 tanks of fuel used over 8553 miles.
21 tanks of fuel costs: $1710.60

So for every $1700 I spend on Diesel I spend less than $28 on DEF which is waaaaaay less than I spend on RedBull over the same amount of driving

i.e. non-issue.
So it's probably a 5 gallon tank, and nominally goes 10,000 miles between refills. You could pre-emptively put 2.5 gallons in at every 5k on the odometer and never have to see the Add DEF message.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #1682
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,502
Or delete the damn thing...
Old 02-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #1683
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
So it's probably a 5 gallon tank, and nominally goes 10,000 miles between refills. You could pre-emptively put 2.5 gallons in at every 5k on the odometer and never have to see the Add DEF message.
Almost what I'm going to do...
DEF has a shelf life... I'll keep a single box in the truck (2.5 gallons $13) and when the light comes on poor it in and buy another box. Repeat.

Long trips.. carry two boxes just to have a buffer (like the 5500 miles we drove over the holidays).

The boxes fit in my "van supplies cabinet" onboard nicely. s

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #1684
duanew1
In my Pajama pants

Oddometer: 746
I probably would not carry any extra DEF around ever if I was you. If I had a long trip planned, I would fill it up and not worry about it. It doesn't seem that hard to come by on the road. Most truck stops should have it if you really needed it.
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #1685
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I snuck out to the garage for a little while this afternoon to start mockup on the first 8 foot overhead cabinet.

I've kept some of the more interesting pieces of wood for the overheads as they are visually dominent.

In a perfect world the cabinet will be "3 boards deep by 2 boards tall" .. or not.
This is definitely going to be a "that looks about right" building technique.. and if I get lucky one of the dimensions will look right at an actual board width multiplier so I don't have to cut every board its entire length for fitment

This one piece of wood is crazy dark compared to the others.. I think I'll put it in the center facing downward on the bottom of the cabinet.. should look pretty cool that way.

...with my buggered up ankle the hobbling around is slow going. I actually worked up a sweat just doing this. Time to go elevate it above my head again
Old 02-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #1686
Mr. J
Banned

Oddometer: 9,655
Quote:
I just realized.. the other thing I lose if I trade the van for a 4x4 is the ceiling fan.

With the amount of work I put into that thing.... I'm not trading this van in.

that's what i was aluding. we all spend pleasurable hours working on whatever modification, but those hours are never recompensable
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #1687
Narsisco Lopez
Addlepated

Oddometer: 2,220
Ed, if you ever get tired of the high-tech world, you can always convert your Sprinter into a Mobile Doggie Wash/Grooming station like this guy...

Ironically, I was out on my daily morning walk with my pooch when we walked past it in our neighborhood.
Narsisco Lopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #1688
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,746
Quote:
I just realized.. the other thing I lose if I trade the van for a 4x4 is the ceiling fan.

With the amount of work I put into that thing.... I'm not trading this van in.

Don't sweat the 4x4 conversion too much. I've been pulling with a 2WD van for years. 99.9% of the time you don't need 4x4.

Options to increase your utility:

Spare rear wheels with agressive studded snow tires.

Limited slip differential. My old van had one of these. It did surprisingly well.

Air locker rear differential. A little more xpensive, but will work even better than limited slip.

Always carry chains. All year long. I barely made it out of the swell pulling a 8k # trailer in the mud without chains a year ago. We then drove into another mud-fest around Moab and I came to a spinning stop. Putting on full truck chains got me unstuck and into camp. I've also had to chain up to make it over the Divide once.

Ideally, I would like to carry two sets of chains. Cable chains for highway use, and full lug chains for really knarly stuff.

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #1689
Geek OP
oot & aboot

'Twas good to see you and Paul @ the party last night Jeff

Unfortunately I don't know of a limited slip or locking diff that's available for Sprinter.
As our getting stuck showed me, the computerized "brake pulsing" is not an acceptable substitute.

What's a "full lug chain" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Don't sweat the 4x4 conversion too much. I've been pulling with a 2WD van for years. 99.9% of the time you don't need 4x4.

Options to increase your utility:

Spare rear wheels with agressive studded snow tires.

Limited slip differential. My old van had one of these. It did surprisingly well.

Air locker rear differential. A little more xpensive, but will work even better than limited slip.

Always carry chains. All year long. I barely made it out of the swell pulling a 8k # trailer in the mud without chains a year ago. We then drove into another mud-fest around Moab and I came to a spinning stop. Putting on full truck chains got me unstuck and into camp. I've also had to chain up to make it over the Divide once.

Ideally, I would like to carry two sets of chains. Cable chains for highway use, and full lug chains for really knarly stuff.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:35 AM   #1690
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Quote:

Unfortunately I don't know of a limited slip or locking diff that's available for Sprinter.
As our getting stuck showed me, the computerized "brake pulsing" is not an acceptable substitute.

Ever think of an axle transplant? Quite a few company's make custom, made to fit axles with every possible gear ratio & LSD imaginable.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #1691
HellSickle
Scone Rider

Oddometer: 8,746
Quote:

Big steel chain with bars made of twisted links with straight cross bars. Rattles like hell on the road and can't be driven much above 30mph. You must have grown up with these in Canadia, eh?

For added benefit, get chains with welded & hardened cross bars.

Chains with cross bars mounted at a diagonal might be a good compromise.

For momentary stuck-ness on ice, I always carry a coffee can of kitty litter, and a small folding shovel.

Much like the automatic chains, maybe you could install an automatic sanding system, like those used on trains?

HellSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #1692
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,807
Quote:
Big steel chain with bars made of twisted links with straight cross bars. Rattles like hell on the road and can't be driven much above 30mph. You must have grown up with these in Canadia, eh?

For momentary stuck-ness on ice, I always carry a coffee can of kitty litter, and a small folding shovel.

Much like the automatic chains, maybe you could install an automatic sanding system, like those used on trains?
Just don't adopt the system they recently employed on Top Gear
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:04 PM   #1693
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
In december we had a tour of Schroyer's private truck collection in Ohio. Many of their trucks had sander boxes built in (Phil's looking at them in the photo) but I didn't get a photo of the actual boxes at the time. Basically a box in front of the rear dually wheels that would pour sand in front of the wheels when needed.
I don't know if they were a factory option or something they added afterward?

Amazingly I never used chains the entire time I lived in Canada.

Geek screwed with this post 02-27-2012 at 12:09 PM
Old 02-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #1694
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,083
Quote:

The last set of chains I had didn't have the crossbars in the links, but they sure came in handy on my old Impala wagon. I had to use them on pure ice one night on a trip from Wichita to Lawrence. Took me 7-1/2 hours to make the trip at 30 mph, stopping periodically to check on people in the ditches and then stopping at pay phones along the way to report the mile markers. That was 19 years ago, before most folks had cell phones.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #1695
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Sprinter 5thwheel Hauler?!

Dude! Check. out. this. sprinter.

2004 KTM 525 exc
2006 Beta Rev3
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: