User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Pampera OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Trail riding in the Peaks: one week to act

Many of you will be aware of the situation regarding Chapel Gate lane in the Derbyshire Peaks. An experimental Traffic Regulation Order will, if not opposed, be seen by those who oppose us as a way to drive us from the National Parks for ever.

This week and up to 29 February, is the last chance for people to object to the Chapel Gate Experimental TRO. The more objections there are the more impact we can have, hence as many members as possible of PDVUG and its associated clubs should be encouraged to object. Please ensure this receives the widest circulation to vehicle users beyond PDVUG.

The minimum that is needed is for an individual to send the following statement by email to mike.rhodes@peakdistrict.gov.uk :

I wish to object to the provisions of the Experimental Traffic Order, made on 10 August 2011 prohibiting mechanically propelled vehicles on the Chapel Gate Byway, being established on a permanent basis.

Any reasons can be added such as: My objection is based on the loss of amenity to me and other vehicle users by not being able to use the Byway for recreational purposes.

Let's have more objections that all the supporting comments that Friends of the Peak District, GLEAM, Rocking the BOAT , etc will be sending in.

Please remember that Mike Rhodes, who many of you will have seen on the Tales From the National Parks documentary is a fair-minded person. Keep your communications to him polite and respectful, and let the beardie-weirdies on the 'other' side be the ones to upset him by being obnoxious TFNP contained one or two clips of them doing just that!

I
Pampera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
ChrisUK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Done it. This was the (automated?) reply I got:

Thank you for your comments in relation to the experimental order prohibiting use by mechanically propelled vehicles at any time along the Chapel Gate route for an 18 month period.

Over the next 18 months the Authority will take into account all relevant information to consider whether to make a permanent traffic order or to vary or discontinue the restriction.

A report will be made to the appropriate committee in due course and you will be notified of the outcome of that. Any representations received will form part of the background papers to the report and will be made available for public inspection in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government Access to Information Act 1985.

The Authority currently operates a procedure that allows individuals or organisations to address members at meetings of the committee. Details of this procedure can be obtained from Democratic Services at the National Park Office.

Updates will be given on www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/chapelgate. Details on how we are managing recreational vehicles in the National Park can be found on www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/vehicles.

Please note that is not usual practice to enter into further correspondence on issues raised in representations.

Mike Rhodes
ChrisUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:28 AM   #3
Gazz
In a rut

Oddometer: 531
I got exactly the same response. Better than being ignored I suppose!
Gazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #4
Timpo
NORTH WALES TRF.

Oddometer: 2,105
What winds me up about this, is it was not the use of the route that forced the temp closure, but numpties riding off piste, ie, up the right handside of the route when travelling from Edale towards Roych Clough. OK, land drainage has not helped at all but Mr Rhodes has said it is the immediate enviroment that the inspectors look at, and if vehicles are causing damage to the area, then the route will be TRO'd.
Look at all the other routes that have been in the spot light, damage had occurred most of them all whether from 4x4 or motorcycle, probably the only route I can think of where this wasn't the case is Silly Dale, this closure still baffles me!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:02 PM   #5
Pampera OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Here's what I wrote

Dear Mr Rhodes,

I note with concern the proposal to impose the 'experimental' Traffic Regulation Order on Chapel Gate Lane, and fear that proposals to ban vehicles altogether may be driven by a few very vocal and emotional individuals whose motives are unclear.

I am sure you have already been inundated with submissions regarding this matter, so will keep mine brief, but I hope you will take them on board.

My concerns include:

Lack of access - recreational vehicle users have considerably less access in the Peak District than other user groups and this has been reduced relatively recently by the NERC Act 2006

The importance of Chapel Gate - Chapel Gate is not only an important route in its own right but is a vital link in the wider green lane network, its loss will cause real harm to the network enjoyed by legitimate vehicle users

Surface improvements - one of the key concerns expressed by the authority was displacement of users (vehicular and others) onto environmentally sensitive adjacent land because of surface damage. This damage has now been repaired by the County Council

Suitability for vehicles- many anti vehicle campaigners claim that this route is not suitable for modern vehicles but Derbyshire CC have confirmed that the repairs carried out were to "byway standard" and the surface is now suitable for use trail bikes and land rover type 4x4s

Proportionality - The terms of the experimental order represent the most draconian restriction the authority can impose. This is disproportionate to the nature and extent of the perceived problem.

Alternatives - There are a wide range of alternative management options available to the authority that could be effective but which fall short of the blanket ban proposed by this ETRO. It would be grossly unreasonable of the authority to adopt the most restrictive option with out at least trialing less restrictive options first.

I trust that this input will assist in your deliberations.

I got an instant automated reply, so i suspect that I'm not the first person to contact him on this subject, which is encouraging!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
Malcolmlovesbikes
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
email

Done
Malcolmlovesbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
dashmoto
Serial Tinkerer

Oddometer: 414
Done.

Quote:
Dear Mr Rhodes,

I am writing because I have been informed that PDNPA is considering making a permanent Traffic Regulation Order on Chapel Gate, in place of the current 'experimental' TRO. I wish to state my opposition to any such move.

Chapel Gate forms an important part of the very limited network of unsurfaced vehicular Rights of Way in the National Park, and as a resident of Derbyshire and frequent visitor to the Park itself its closure has had a negative impact on my enjoyment of my visits to the area.

While it is true that the state of this route at the start of 2011 required action, I believe this action to have been fulfilled by the initial six-month closure for repairs by your counterparts at Derbyshire County Council. With the surface repaired to a suitable standard for a Byway Open to All Traffic, the previous problems of users (both motorised and non-motorised) deviating from the route onto open moorland to avoid impassable sections should no longer occur. With this in mind, I cannot see any further justification for the loss of amenity to motor vehicle users which this closure represents, and do not believe any evidence has been shown that responsible vehicular use of Chapel Gate is irreconcilable with preserving the character of the National Park.

I would like to urge you again (as I did in my response to the initial consultation on the Experimental TRO, but to which I received no satisfactory answer) to clarify exactly what the aim of this 'experiment' is. In particular I hope you can explain how you hope to judge whether the repairs have rendered sustainable use by motor vehicles possible, during an experimental period in which motor vehicles have been banned from the route.

I remain hopeful that the Park Authority will continue to take a balanced, evidence-based approach to resolving this matter, and not be swayed by the emotional appeals of a vocal minority.
dashmoto is offline   Reply With Quote