Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #586
derrickbwg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
5.3 gallons sounds perfect to me....can't wait. Steve o you went all out in a short period of time, kudos to you. Anymore insight on that rear rack? pro's/con's?
derrickbwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #587
SteveO
Huh???

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickbwg View Post
5.3 gallons sounds perfect to me....can't wait. Steve o you went all out in a short period of time, kudos to you. Anymore insight on that rear rack? pro's/con's?
Thanks,

The rear rack is worth the money. I was really surprised by how the rack handled the weight. This weekend I'm doing another ride with some other guys here in T or C. Again, I'll load up the rack with some goodies. Usually on short rides I load up a GiantLoop Mojavi bag and carry a couple of 1.5L Primus bottles of fuel. Well, at least this is the norm until I can get a larger tank.....
SteveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #588
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Well, first official ride off road on the 500 today. Time to gear down. I was putzing along with my wife on her CRF230 teaching her to stand up on the pegs. This was her FIRST time off road. I was having to slip the clutch most of the time to keep her pace. Without going back through the thread, does dropping the cs one tooth help enough for slow (not technical) terrain? Thanks.
Glad to see this thread keeping its momentum. Would love to see it rival the WRR mega thread, as far as information goes. Power=GOOD weight=GOOD seat=BAD
Who makes the preferred engine guard? B&B? Did not see one on flatlands website. Is anyone using the KTM guard?

Thx

Brad
Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #589
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu7404 View Post
Well, first official ride off road on the 500 today. Time to gear down. I was putzing along with my wife on her CRF230 teaching her to stand up on the pegs. This was her FIRST time off road. I was having to slip the clutch most of the time to keep her pace. Without going back through the thread, does dropping the cs one tooth help enough for slow (not technical) terrain? Thanks.
Glad to see this thread keeping its momentum. Would love to see it rival the WRR mega thread, as far as information goes. Power=GOOD weight=GOOD seat=BAD
Who makes the preferred engine guard? B&B? Did not see one on flatlands website. Is anyone using the KTM guard?

Thx

Brad
I've got a Flatland mounted up. It's great.
I changed the CS and the rear sprocket......great setup....

check back a couple of pages, I think I posted it up there.....I think...
Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #590
ABYSS
KTM

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO View Post
I've got a Flatland mounted up. It's great.
I changed the CS and the rear sprocket......great setup....

check back a couple of pages, I think I posted it up there.....I think...
+1 on the flatland skidplate, I went to a14-48 but am going to try the 50 with the 14

ABYSS
ABYSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #591
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
I've got the xc-w and had them put a 14 on the front (stock 50 on the rear) before I ever rode it. Made it do highway speeds pretty easy and nice in the power, not too high RPM at 70mph. I found myself slipping the clutch a bit too much going up steep rocky hill climbs at 14 though so I went back to stock (13-50) and LOVE it for off road. Highways are doable, but I'm buzzzzzing the motor at 70, way too much. I almost never do highway stuff though, so I'm keeping with the front 13.

If i were to do a Colorado/Utah trip on jeep roads I'd go back to 14 and carry a 13 in the truck for single track days.

13-50 for trails
14-50 for dual sport
15-50 ...should have bought a sport bike haha
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #592
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by child View Post
I've got the xc-w and had them put a 14 on the front (stock 50 on the rear) before I ever rode it. Made it do highway speeds pretty easy and nice in the power, not too high RPM at 70mph. I found myself slipping the clutch a bit too much going up steep rocky hill climbs at 14 though so I went back to stock (13-50) and LOVE it for off road. Highways are doable, but I'm buzzzzzing the motor at 70, way too much. I almost never do highway stuff though, so I'm keeping with the front 13.

If i were to do a Colorado/Utah trip on jeep roads I'd go back to 14 and carry a 13 in the truck for single track days.

13-50 for trails
14-50 for dual sport
15-50 ...should have bought a sport bike haha
I'm with you Chris, but I think I found myself clutching it more with the 13 tooth to stay out of trouble, so I just picked up a 14 to try, if it works out better for how I ride, I'll keep the 13 in the tool bag too.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 11:15 AM
theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #593
ABYSS
KTM

Question Clairification

please further define trouble as in red below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
I'm with you Chris, but I think I found myself clutching it more with the 13 tooth to stay out of trouble, so I just picked up a 14 to try, if it works out better for how I ride, I'll keep the 13 in the tool bag too.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #594
theantipaul
Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABYSS View Post
please further define trouble as in red below.
To break mine in I made the mistake of going for a weekend with Toddler in Utah, first thing I did was loop it on a steep up hill, the thing has so much power and there was no hesitation that I found myself clutching so I didn't get such a hit by just twisting the throttle. All too often the front was coming up when I just wanted to spin the back. Stock gearing was great for most, but when I got into tight stuff, again, would find myself clutching to keep the front end down when I didn't want it. It has so much power, I started to wishing I got a 350 instead, til I got use to it.

Same thing happened when I geared the CRF too low, I was on my back most the day. So I'm looking forward to mellowing it out a bit with the 14, I really doubt I'll have any trouble getting the front up at all when I want.

Man lived, Man suffered, Man died

theantipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #595
ABYSS
KTM

Ok

The reason I ask is I went with 14/48 as seams to be very popular and found the bike was geared to high. I was going to try just going back to the 50 in the rear but after talking to a few friends I beleive I am going to go back to stock 13/50. Keep in mind if I can get 55-60 MPH out of it without screaming I am completely happy. I guess I didnt give the stock gears a chance. I may have a set of 14/48 for sale in the near future that only have about 40 miles on them well see....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theantipaul View Post
To break mine in I made the mistake of going for a weekend with Toddler in Utah, first thing I did was loop it on a steep up hill, the thing has so much power and there was no hesitation that I found myself clutching so I didn't get such a hit by just twisting the throttle. All too often the front was coming up when I just wanted to spin the back. Stock gearing was great for most, but when I got into tight stuff, again, would find myself clutching to keep the front end down when I didn't want it. It has so much power, I started to wishing I got a 350 instead, til I got use to it.

Same thing happened when I geared the CRF too low, I was on my back most the day. So I'm looking forward to mellowing it out a bit with the 14, I really doubt I'll have any trouble getting the front up at all when I want.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #596
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
power curve

Does anyone know what the RPM range is? The "hp" is reported as being 58hp with 52 lbs of Tq but no RPM range was given for these two figures.

hp data here
http://www.motoonline.com.au/2011/07...-stroke-range/
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #597
2on2off
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:

Thx

Brad
I'm using the KTM skid plate because I was in a hurry to pick the bike up when I bought it and took what the dealer had. It is fine and gives good enough protection for me.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #598
nanisx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
this bike its absolutely great.... I had wet drams about Yamaha making a 450 version of the 250r/x but KTM hit the spot

I guess its time to start saving
nanisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 AM   #599
Lulu7404
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
oil change pin wrench

Going to do my 1 hour oil change today. Owners manual states on pg88 "push the engine oil screen with the O-rings onto a pin wrench" "Push the pin wrench through the opening into the drill hole of the opposite engine case wall and push the oil screen as far as possible into the engine case"
First oil change on first KTM. Is this pin wrench something I need to get from my KTM dealer or is it a common tool used for dirt bikes? Nothing in my goody bag looks similar to picture. Of course my dealer didn't know what i was talking about when I mentioned the little bag of bolts to desmog and fix kick stand either.

thx
Old 03-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #600
SteveO
Huh???

Quote:
Going to do my 1 hour oil change today. Owners manual states on pg88 "push the engine oil screen with the O-rings onto a pin wrench" "Push the pin wrench through the opening into the drill hole of the opposite engine case wall and push the oil screen as far as possible into the engine case"
First oil change on first KTM. Is this pin wrench something I need to get from my KTM dealer or is it a common tool used for dirt bikes? Nothing in my goody bag looks similar to picture. Of course my dealer didn't know what i was talking about when I mentioned the little bag of bolts to desmog and fix kick stand either.

thx

There is a oil-screen that is attached to the drain-bolt on the bottom of the case. This screen snaps into the bolt, and can be easily removed from the bolt for cleaning.

The other screen is accessed from the shifter side of the bike and is "about" 3" long. Removing the larger bolt (13mm, i think), the screen will be stuck in there. Take some needle nose pliers and pull this screen out. Don't pinch too hard on the plastic screen housing, as it's not necessary to remove the screen. This screen can be cleaned as well.

I just changed my oil last night, and removed all of these bolts, including the magnetic tip bolt next to the shifter.

It's actually a 10 minute job once you get the hang of it.....