ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 121 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 02-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #1696
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 30,267
The trailer they're pulling is awesome.. wouldn't you love to have that combo.

I ordered an astro pneumatic rivnut tool today (with tips for 6 different sizes) and 50 Knurled, Zinc, 5/16-18x0.72 rivnuts.

This will let me get started on the ceiling/upper cabinets. by going with the 5/15-18 rivnuts my rivnut sizes match the 80/20 bolts I'm using so I should be able to use the same fasteners for everything and bolt the 8020 straight to them

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #1697
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: central IL
Oddometer: 3,227
Those VWs were nice, too. And, we get stuck with rebadged Chryslers.
__________________
'09 Triumph Tiger1050
'96 Ducati 900SS
'02 Suzuki SV650S (hers)
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #1698
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 27,840
You notice that the Sprinter/hauler was a manual?

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #1699
pfb
Riding, not skiing.
 
pfb's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Boulder|Denver|Winter Park
Oddometer: 5,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I ordered an astro pneumatic rivnut tool today (with tips for 6 different sizes) and 50 Knurled, Zinc, 5/16-18x0.72 rivnuts.
Nice! The inexpensive hand tools are o.k. for aluminum riv-nuts, but very difficult to squeeze the heavier ones with them.

Why did you choose to use standard rivnuts instead of metric?
__________________
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
950 Adventure 950 Super Enduro 450 XC-W Six Days
pfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #1700
a1fa
Riding Nomad™
 
a1fa's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Arkansas
Oddometer: 13,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Those VWs were nice, too. And, we get stuck with rebadged Chryslers.
Sprinter as well!
__________________
Learn to ride. Ride to learn.
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #1701
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 30,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Nice! The inexpensive hand tools are o.k. for aluminum riv-nuts, but very difficult to squeeze the heavier ones with them.

Why did you choose to use standard rivnuts instead of metric?
Because I'm using 15 series 8020.
The 40 series 8020 (metric) doesn't have the seamless smooth sections available that I'm using in the van (things like the round ball 3 way connector) - only the 15 series has that.. so I was forced out of the gate to go 1.5" instead of 40mm which means everything is 5/16-18 instead of M8. Basically the 15 series has the most options.

It sucks... I know. Metric makes so much more sense but alas 8020 is an american company

i.e. 15 series has these available (no other series does):


Geek screwed with this post 03-01-2012 at 09:29 AM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #1702
Geek OP
oot & aboot
 
Geek's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: 8000ft.
Oddometer: 30,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Sprinter as well!
FWIW... Sprinters have always been Mercedes. They were just badged Dodge back when Daimler owned Chrysler. So they are kind of the opposite - rebadged Mercedes.
You can also get them as Freightliners in 2009/2010.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #1703
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Aspen, Colorado
Oddometer: 784
Oh my gawd!

It took me two days and a bunch of idle time to read/scan through 114 pages of this thread!




Oh, and I enjoyed every minute! Nice work, keep it coming, and I'll be using some of this 8020 stuff in my soon to be purchased 6x10 enclosed trailer. My pocket-book thanks you for that!!!


Sub'd.
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #1704
herbieGB
.
 
herbieGB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Pleasant Peninsula
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
FWIW... Sprinters have always been Mercedes. They were just badged Dodge back when Daimler owned Chrysler. So they are kind of the opposite - rebadged Mercedes.
You can also get them as Freightliners in 2009/2010.

Hey, I just gotta Freightliner thats an 04 Im converting. Think they had a couple years labeled as both.

Hey, thanks for all the great ideas! Great post(s)!
Thinkin im gonna go the hanging method for my bed(s) though. Hook and eyelet on the wall and eyelets and straps from the ceiling, then i can adjust the angle when parking/sleeping on streets, or throw the bed on the roof rack stary nights
herbieGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #1705
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbieGB View Post
Hey, I just gotta Freightliner thats an 04 Im converting. Think they had a couple years labeled as both.

Hey, thanks for all the great ideas! Great post(s)!
Thinkin im gonna go the hanging method for my bed(s) though. Hook and eyelet on the wall and eyelets and straps from the ceiling, then i can adjust the angle when parking/sleeping on streets, or throw the bed on the roof rack stary nights

Welcome to the Cult of Sprinter. Enjoy the rust! I've got an '03 'Dodge' with the DOG / ADV / Bad Monkey Racing rebadge kit.

SPRINTER THREAD NOW! (So we quit pooping up Geek's thread. The Vans! thread can think we're a bit snooty / whiney at times. Guess we're the BMW GSs of the Van World )
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #1706
Mr. J
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: northeast coast
Oddometer: 9,655
your idea; you get to go first
Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #1707
mark883
Holding up Michoagán
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Buckeyeland
Oddometer: 1,578
Ok. fine. Be that way.



mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:08 AM   #1708
herbieGB
.
 
herbieGB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Pleasant Peninsula
Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Welcome to the Cult of Sprinter. Enjoy the rust! I've got an '03 'Dodge' with the DOG / ADV / Bad Monkey Racing rebadge kit.

SPRINTER THREAD NOW! (So we quit pooping up Geek's thread. The Vans! thread can think we're a bit snooty / whiney at times. Guess we're the BMW GSs of the Van World )
Thinkin ill try and avoid rust by sanding/priming the spots i have now and covering the whole thing in black matte vinyl! Should at least DELAY the inevitable
herbieGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #1709
Mr. J
Banned
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: northeast coast
Oddometer: 9,655
i've had good luck with this:

Mr. J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #1710
troidus
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 12,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbieGB View Post
Thinkin ill try and avoid rust by sanding/priming the spots i have now and covering the whole thing in black matte vinyl! Should at least DELAY the inevitable
Primer isn't usually waterproof, and moisture will get behind the vinyl. You'll want to put some kind of paint on it, even if it's just rattlecan, before applying the vinyl.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014