User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 157 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,589
All things Sprinter (Mercedes, Dodge, Freightliner)

As a wild idea, with older Sprinters becoming slightly more affordable, and more inmates acquiring one (if you have the means, I highly recommend one), I thought I'd kick off a Sprinter thread. Mainly, to keep us from crapping into the middle of Geek's fine 'Building an Adventure Van' thread.

So, to kick it off, here's a pic of my Sprinter (bought thru advrider, ironikally), committing a high sin, in the eyes of some BMW riders.

As far as I'm concerned, Sprinters (Vans in general) do have a place in adventuring.
Let's say you're taking an adventure ride deep into Mexico with some buddies from Texas, in late October. If you're from the say near Toledo, Ohio, its entirely possible that your weather looks like this:

Taken at noon near Indy, it was cold (40*), windy (25 mph), and raining as well. Driving a Sprinter in high winds is an adventure in itself, but not really that bad. Plus, I found it easily cut one day off my trip to Texas. This is like fast forward on a VCR- you get to the good stuff quicker. And, 24 mpg average over the trip isn't too bad. Once properly set up, I won't have to find a hotel room, either. The protection from crazy interstate drivers is nice too.

So, if you've ever done this to your Sprinter:

because of this, in your Sprinter:

maybe, this thread is for you. Or, at least you can whine about it, and we'll maybe give you a shoulder to cry on.

Nah. Fat Chance.

WARNING: Everyone will want to borrow your van. Or get you to 'help' them while they borrow your van.

mark883 screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 07:51 AM Reason: mas info
mark883 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

reserved space.

Reserved for future use, or links, or FIYs, etc.

Geek's Building an Adventure Van thread. If this build doesn't make you commit one deadly sin, well, you probably don't believe in deadly sins. Or you hate vans.

Vans! The all-purpose, all van thread at ADV. Sometimes devolves into VW lust, with their ramblings, but hey, that's OK. Check out the 70s vans! Cue the slap-bass funk music!

Sprinter-Source.com Probably the place on the web for Sprinter info. Not ADV level-crazy, but lots of good info and worldwide help. There's a few inmates that hang out over there. Even a wiki for general info.

Uni-mog Thread. Any MB owner should bow in awe to the Unimog. They can do anything except pass a fuel station.

Stalker-Vans.com All the best tips and tricks. Member discounts on candy and puppies. (haha.... just kidding. I hope.)

Any other good Sprinter or Van related threads, let me know, I'll throw them in here, for easy of future use. Just in case this turns into some 'Is Mexico Safe'-like 300 page rant & roll.

mark883 screwed with this post 03-02-2012 at 11:34 AM
Old 03-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,685

Excuse my ignorance, is that a flywheel?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post

Excuse my ignorance, is that a flywheel?
Yep. With 27X,XXX miles. Commonly called flex plate in Sprinter circles. Noted defect on 02 & 03s, I believe. Thickened up after that, and swappable to the new part. Easily done, if you didn't have to remove the transmission.

Mine took out my crankshaft position sensor, and promptly quit running.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,523
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,797

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:29 PM   #7
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,829
Ouch that flex plate don't look right! So sounds like the new ones like my 2011 have that weakness resolved?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 33,373
I have a turbo resonator on order for my neighbors 2006.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:46 PM   #9
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anorak View Post
I have a turbo resonator on order for my neighbors 2006.

Another known weakness on some year Sprinters (not old-timers like mine.) They lose boost, and you get limp home mode and other weird things.

Anorak- you're kinda the resident MB genius / guru around here, aren't you?

Anyone should know, Sprinters, like any vehicle, have their issues, but when they're good, they're good.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Ouch that flex plate don't look right! So sounds like the new ones like my 2011 have that weakness resolved?
From what I've heard, they were almost twice as thick, starting in '04, and those can swap into a 03 or earlier.

Evidently, there is no recall on these, but they are a VERY well known weakness. Kinda like MB's own little final drive problem.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #11
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
From what I've heard, they were almost twice as thick, starting in '04, and those can swap into a 03 or earlier.

Evidently, there is no recall on these, but they are a VERY well known weakness. Kinda like MB's own little final drive problem.
It's a German thing ya know.....

Great thread BTW
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,860
I drive a 2012 MB Sprinter at work, I like it but I don't have to pay for it, maintain it or pay for the fuel. I will say one thing, we have the extended roofs and its flat scary in crosswinds.

Would I buy one? I'd have to say yes. Its nice to drive and pretty decent power and MPG.
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #13
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
Another known weakness on some year Sprinters (not old-timers like mine.) They lose boost, and you get limp home mode and other weird things.

Anorak- you're kinda the resident MB genius / guru around here, aren't you?

Anyone should know, Sprinters, like any vehicle, have their issues, but when they're good, they're good.

I had forgot about that one. When I saw the above pics, I had flashbacks to the several thousand I spent each year I owned mine. Always something breaking on it. As much as I loved it, I got out while I was still fiscally afloat. Most of what hadn't gone bad yet was the really expensive stuff, the $6K and up repairs.

They are awesome vehicles if you can afford to run them. Mine exceeded my expectations for what it would do at times, but realize, no matter how cheap a used one appears to be, they are not cheap vehicles.

The good news is that for routine maintenance, they aren't too bad. It's only when something goes boom that it becomes a problem. Especially if you don't have a place near to have it towed.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
mark883 OP
Holding up Michoagán

Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I had forgot about that one. When I saw the above pics, I had flashbacks to the several thousand I spent each year I owned mine. Always something breaking on it. As much as I loved it, I got out while I was still fiscally afloat. Most of what hadn't gone bad yet was the really expensive stuff, the $6K and up repairs.

They are awesome vehicles if you can afford to run them. Mine exceeded my expectations for what it would do at times, but realize, no matter how cheap a used one appears to be, they are not cheap vehicles.

The good news is that for routine maintenance, they aren't too bad. It's only when something goes boom that it becomes a problem. Especially if you don't have a place near to have it towed.

I should have posted the 'and when they're bad, they're bad' in full disclosure.

The best thing about the Sprinter, is its a Mercedes. The worst thing about the Sprinter, is its a Mercedes.

Gee. Its Friday night. I need to get out more.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,122
I spent the afternoon today putting a shelf in place of the OEM headliner. I am now debating how to finish out the interior. I'll try to get some pics soon but just wanted to poke in to follow others experiences.
'06 Honda Silver wing
'86 Honda Elite 150 Deluxe
leeinmemphis is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: