User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #76
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,862
Okay, I have revisited this thread.
I currently have a pair of SG10s and a pair of Balance Oiled - I LOVE them both. I use the SG10s for off road, and racing. and the Balance for commuting.
However I am seeking something in between protection wise, for Adventure rides. The G-Midland seems like a good option. I really wish they used a 3rd strap up top instead of Velcro.

Brian,
I have some questions regarding sizing of the G-Midland.
I wear a 10 / 44.5 in the "Balance" and they fit great.
Based on your comment below, should I go up a size?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
I am still learning, but first impressions are that they are NOT similar to most other Gaerne models - they are smaller.

Most Gaerne off road boots are a little generous. This includes the MX and the trials boots. These fit more like the G-Adventures, which are slightly smaller in the toebox area. When we initially began shipping the G-ADVs, we got returns from many people with other Gaerne boots, that felt they were too small. Since then we randomly 2x check customer orders on their size choices, and returns are now minimal.

It is never a good idea to think of fit in 2 dimensional terms (bigger or smaller) but generally speaking I would say these are about 1/2 - 1/3 size small.

To fit Gaernes, we always suggest you take an average of the EU (NOT USA size) size of 3 - 4 pair of your casual, athletic, or hiking shoes (NOT other moto boots) and cross against this:

8 = 42
9 = 43
10 = 44.5
11 = 46
12 = 47
13 = 48

I suggest you stay at or preferrably under the EU size. Don't egregiously order larger than normal. FWIW I am a 46.5, and wear an 11/46 in SG10s, SG12s, GX1s, and Balance. In these and in the G-ADV I am a 12/47.

As with all motorcycle boots, we recommend staying slightly large on sizing, and adding a performance insole. Insoles make a huge improvement in fit and comfort, and have the net effect of slightly reducing the size.

BP
Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #77
TierHawg
Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBoarder View Post
Okay, I have revisited this thread.
I currently have a pair of SG10s and a pair of Balance Oiled - I LOVE them both. I use the SG10s for off road, and racing. and the Balance for commuting.
However I am seeking something in between protection wise, for Adventure rides. The G-Midland seems like a good option. I really wish they used a 3rd strap up top instead of Velcro.

Brian,
I have some questions regarding sizing of the G-Midland.
I wear a 10 / 44.5 in the "Balance" and they fit great.
Based on your comment below, should I go up a size?

Thanks
I purchased a pair of these last month. I spoke with Brian at length about my needs, debating between these and a set of the SG10's. I already have a pair of the Aerostich Combats, and wanted something more protective. First, the Midlands are great boots. Well made, Italian quality and comfort. They are a step up in protection from the Combats, but not a huge step. They don't come close to a true MX boot. For me, most of my non-road riding is forest trails and easy/moderate single track. Shifting and braking feedback was important, so MX boots don't get worn often. I wouldn't want to wear these boots on technical single track. I'm sure they'd be marginal protection wise, but they are pretty, and I wouldn't want to tear them up (yet).

The sizing of boots is always a pain for me. I have a wide foot, that doesn't translate to EU sizing very well. My normal foot size is a 9.5 Wide, or a 43.5 W EU. Brian suggested a size 10 or 44.5. At first, the boot fit great, but a hair big, felt about 1/4 size large with normal socks. I think the leather did stretch just a touch since I've worn them. They are a little tight width wise, but not painfully so. After I wore it a little, I decide to put in a Dr. Scholls sports insert. That turned out to be a mistake for me. It cause cramps in my foot arch. I switched back to the normal insoles, and went with very thick socks. Boots fit well enough with this set-up.

Overall, I think these are great boots, and will be my goto boots for 90% of my rides. I may need to get a set of SG-10 in the future, or stop riding technical single track. I'm getting too old to keep breaking bones.
TierHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #78
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by TierHawg View Post
I purchased a pair of these last month. I spoke with Brian at length about my needs, debating between these and a set of the SG10's. I already have a pair of the Aerostich Combats, and wanted something more protective. First, the Midlands are great boots. Well made, Italian quality and comfort. They are a step up in protection from the Combats, but not a huge step. They don't come close to a true MX boot. For me, most of my non-road riding is forest trails and easy/moderate single track. Shifting and braking feedback was important, so MX boots don't get worn often. I wouldn't want to wear these boots on technical single track. I'm sure they'd be marginal protection wise, but they are pretty, and I wouldn't want to tear them up (yet).

The sizing of boots is always a pain for me. I have a wide foot, that doesn't translate to EU sizing very well. My normal foot size is a 9.5 Wide, or a 43.5 W EU. Brian suggested a size 10 or 44.5. At first, the boot fit great, but a hair big, felt about 1/4 size large with normal socks. I think the leather did stretch just a touch since I've worn them. They are a little tight width wise, but not painfully so. After I wore it a little, I decide to put in a Dr. Scholls sports insert. That turned out to be a mistake for me. It cause cramps in my foot arch. I switched back to the normal insoles, and went with very thick socks. Boots fit well enough with this set-up.

Overall, I think these are great boots, and will be my goto boots for 90% of my rides. I may need to get a set of SG-10 in the future, or stop riding technical single track. I'm getting too old to keep breaking bones.
Thanks for the insight.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:02 PM   #79
Knightwork
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 857
Just to add my @ cents-------------I purchased a pair of the Midlands from Atomic Moto-- like a rock head I got the size wrong ------------gave them a call and got fixed up with the right size now-i have to say that these boots are great-already have tried them out in the wonderful world of wet, cold, and ugly and stayed dry as a bone---they are great for walking --albiet little stiff but the grips they have help when your bike takes that nap---I beleive that over all I got everything that I needed and wanted out of them---Great help from the gentlemen @ AtomicMoto ---Thanks Guys

'09 R1200GSA (Frau Brueller)
Knightwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 AM   #80
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightwork View Post
Just to add my @ cents-------------I purchased a pair of the Midlands from Atomic Moto-- like a rock head I got the size wrong ------------gave them a call and got fixed up with the right size now-i have to say that these boots are great-
On the sizing, did you have to go larger or smaller than you thought?
Old 02-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #81
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
On the sizing, did you have to go larger or smaller than you thought?
NWB, how much room do you have in the Balance?

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #82
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brtp4 View Post
NWB, how much room do you have in the Balance?

BP

I would say they fit very well, with no "extra" room.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #83
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
I would say they fit very well, with no "extra" room.
Go up a size.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #84
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Gaerne G-Midland Dual Sport Boots:

Latest Gaerne G-Midland shipment arrived:

These are a great dual sport and adventure touring boot. Great support, easy to walk in, and like all Gaernes they fit amazing.

More info at www.atomic-moto.com/gaerne_g-midland

Stoked.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #85
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,951
Question Ankleism

...I haven't re-read the whole thread so I have a question BP.
How would yousay the ankle support in these are compared to the SIDI Adventures. I had a pair and the seemed real good, save me a couple times in fact.
I have an old pair of SIDI Discos that seem to offer very little ankle support in comparison.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #86
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...I haven't re-read the whole thread so I have a question BP.
How would yousay the ankle support in these are compared to the SIDI Adventures. I had a pair and the seemed real good, save me a couple times in fact.
I have an old pair of SIDI Discos that seem to offer very little ankle support in comparison.
Similar ankle support. I will limit my comments, as I do not like the Adventures. Thanks for your assistance with this.

Much more support than the Discos.

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #87
byways
byways

Oddometer: 2,029
size 7 (41)?

What can I get in men's size 7 (41)? I have an older pair of Gaerne Explorers (not much protection), but i don't see any Gaernes in size 7 anymore. I don't want a waterproof boot. Something wearable in warm weather.

Suggestions?
byways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #88
Brtp4 OP
Yea, its a friggin L

Midlands can be special ordered, but I would look at these:

Gaerne Balance Pro Tech Boots

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR
Old 03-05-2012, 03:35 PM   #89
byways
byways

Hmm. I like that ...
Old 03-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #90
byways
byways

What does a special order for Midlands entail ... how long, returnability/exchangeability, etc.?