Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 PM   #1696
Bongolia
stop acting

Oddometer: 16,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I've never bought a Rolex Submariner that isn't worth more today than what I paid for it, so in that sense they've been the cheapest watches I've ever owned. Spend the money and get a watch that will be an heirloom.
+1

My LV 'Kermit' has doubled in value.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:10 AM   #1697
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I've never bought a Rolex Submariner that isn't worth more today than what I paid for it, so in that sense they've been the cheapest watches I've ever owned. Spend the money and get a watch that will be an heirloom.
I've smashed two watches sailboat racing and lost another overboard. Pass.

This is a thread for working watches, there is undoubtedly a jewelry somewhere.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower

garandman screwed with this post 02-23-2012 at 03:34 AM
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 AM   #1698
tslewisz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
I've smashed two watches sailboat racing and lost another overboard. Pass.

This is a thread for working watches, there is undoubtedly a jewelry somewhere.
Yeah, the Rolies and such are here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198518
tslewisz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #1699
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
The Recharge/reset procedure didn't work?
Wasn't aware of a procedure? I left it in the light for a week and the second hand is still skipping every other second. Guess I'll have to search the procedure. Thanks for the tip.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #1700
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
Wasn't aware of a procedure? I left it in the light for a week and the second hand is still skipping every other second. Guess I'll have to search the procedure. Thanks for the tip.
http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Engl...arging%20Guide

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #1701
FloridaSteve
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
+1 I've had mine since 1993 and bet on it like hammered shit. Never let me down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Canuck View Post
I have beat the shiite out of mine for 10 years and my dad has done the same for 35; they are bulletproof, no nonsense and classic.

At the end of time there will be cockroaches and Seiko Divers watches.
FloridaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM   #1702
JTT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
It works!

I took mine to the jeweller where I bought it and they asked if I charged it. I had it in light for 7 days and second hand was still skipping. They said they'd have to send it off for repairs and I reluctantly agreed...although it was going to cost $160-200!! Watch is somewhat special to me so I left it with them.

Then I read your post Bueller! Figured, what the hell, if it didn't work I'd just buy another for the kind of money the repair was going to cost. Called the store back and got my watch back...finally.

Just tried the link you sent with the reset procedure and it worked!! Thanks so much Bueller! I'd have never guessed it was so easy. It's nice when something works out.
JTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #1703
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Be aware that this link to Citizen's calibre reference may only be for US mkt supplied movements. I've just tried searching for 2 Japanese market calibres (E510 and A660) and they are not listed. The list of the movements covered by that domain appears to be on this link:

http://www.citizenwatch.com/downloads/tech/tech.htm
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #1704
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTT View Post
It works!

I took mine to the jeweller where I bought it and they asked if I charged it. I had it in light for 7 days and second hand was still skipping. They said they'd have to send it off for repairs and I reluctantly agreed...although it was going to cost $160-200!! Watch is somewhat special to me so I left it with them.

Then I read your post Bueller! Figured, what the hell, if it didn't work I'd just buy another for the kind of money the repair was going to cost. Called the store back and got my watch back...finally.

Just tried the link you sent with the reset procedure and it worked!! Thanks so much Bueller! I'd have never guessed it was so easy. It's nice when something works out.
Awesome!

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #1705
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyT View Post
Seiko Pepsi divers. The middle one is my work beater. I hammer the hell out of it daily in a machine shop. The others just because

I love these things.
Nice "collection" but I have to ask: where is the perpetual quartz 8f35 Pepsi?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #1706
Ko
Observant as never

Oddometer: 1,108
Suggestions???

Currently my favourite watch, a Casio Waveceptor, started to fog. I was looking for a reason to get another watch, so here I am.
I'd like a smaller or similar size watch given my small-ish wrists, dust/waterproof, solar or automatic, hands, alarm, date, preferably something that I can see at night- tritium would be nice. Price - the cheaper the better
I've been keeping an eye on Timezone and Sharkstores, but the selection is killing me, too many watches to choose from

thanks

Ko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:17 AM   #1707
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post
Currently my favourite watch, a Casio Waveceptor, started to fog. I was looking for a reason to get another watch, so here I am.
I'd like a smaller or similar size watch given my small-ish wrists, dust/waterproof, solar or automatic, hands, alarm, date, preferably something that I can see at night- tritium would be nice. Price - the cheaper the better
I've been keeping an eye on Timezone and Sharkstores, but the selection is killing me, too many watches to choose from

thanks
if you really want an alarm, that should make the selection process much easier. you can probably rule out most analog dive watches. and probably all automatics.

if cheaper is better, and you like small watches, you can't do better than a timex ironman. i have a g-shock for water and gym use, but i hate the high profile. had a solar g-shock that died after 13 months (one year warranty of course). when this g-shock dies i'll replace it with an ironman.

met a guy who worked with remote-operated subs used for oil exploration stuff. he said he put an ironman watch on one of the subs and it worked fine a couple hundred meters down. i should ask him the exact depth, but the point is it should be fine for normal hard use. lots of watches claim to be used by military units and special teams but in reality the majority of guys are probably wearing ironman watches with g-shock or others mixed in.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 AM   #1708
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancowboy View Post
if you really want an alarm, that should make the selection process much easier. you can probably rule out most analog dive watches. and probably all automatics.
I agree, an alarm requirement puts any automatic out of the running (except for the riiiiiiduculously expensive ones that are out of the running for completely different reasons ). There'd be plenty of analog options...they'd probably feature a subdial or most likely three subdials (again, because of the alarm). Plenty of them would meet dive specs, albeit most without the 15/20min dive bezel. Tritium, by its very nature, would imply a preference towards something analog. Traser's got one or two that have tritium *and* alarm though none that I can think of have alarm, tritium, *and* solar/kinetic. The ani-digi options would probably suit your needs well.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #1709
Daz-o-matic
HOT POOP

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSteve View Post
+1 I've had mine since 1993 and bet on it like hammered shit. Never let me down.
Heard nothing but good things about Seiko divers, so I ordered me a black Monster yesterday. S'posed to be bulletproof, has the venerable workhorse 7S26 movement, and looks nice too. $190 is a lot for me, but I'll have it forever. Should be here in a few days. I have a Seiko 5 with the same movement - so far, so good.

Daz-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #1710
DoctorIt
vrooom!

Oddometer: 5,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ko View Post

thanks
I've been traveling more lately, and for the same money that I normally spend to have my fancy Swiss automatic Oris serviced (~$100) , I just bought another watch! I've been really happy with it - it's both solar and atomic, and not only atomic, but reads all the major signals around the world (5 of them). Best of all, I was really suprised at the size of this watch - I pictured all G-shocks to be massive. This one, while not tiny, is edgier, but about the same size as my Oris, and much lighter. I still enjoy my non-reasonably priced Oris, but for travel and work, this thing is great.

(I actually got it for "free" from Cabela's using rewards points, can't beat that!)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: