wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TAC View Post
Next list.

4 - Green house / nursery

5 - A place that sells "local honey".
Hmmmm.... my brother's wife raises perennials and bees. She sells honey. Might have an easy two-fer on this one.

Turning money into spent fossil fuels.
(Smiley crap is implied in all posts.)
wb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #197
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Oddometer: 5,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
Hmmmm.... my brother's wife raises perennials and bees. She sells honey. Might have an easy two-fer on this one.
As long as there is a sign saying local honey you are good to go.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #198
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,901
GRAB!!! (notice the red ribbon on the left mirror)

1. A Hot Rod or Custom car shop. Because it was after hours, none of the custom stuff was visible, but I added a couple of pics, taken through the windows of the offices. The Blue front end is the owners desk...

#2. Bait!

#3. Bicycle shop

#4. A Greenhouse/nursery

#5. A place that sells local honey.
First an outside shot

and then the local Texas honey display inside...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #199
California
Motorcyclist

LEAP DAY list! (This list amended of Mar. 4, 2012)

File preventer, a sports ball of some sort, in the picture. Like a baseball, football, basketball, soccer ball! Or as usual, a date stamp.

1. A sculpture of a horse.

2. A tree in bloom, it is spring, isn't it? (Amended) Or anything, even a florist window, with lots of blooms!

3. A sign that shows the elevation (amended) or population. Like a city or town limit, or highway pass.

4. Girls Scouts selling Girl Scout Cookies. Like in front of a store, or mall. Or any charity or civic organization selling whatever in front of a store or something...(amended, anything being sold, not in a store. A temporary set up)

5. A Camera store.

Go riding, take pictures, have fun! Amended; have fun if you can, and since this is global, the weather will always be bad somewhere, it will be spring in the north and fall in the south, If it's daylight here, it'll be dark there. So get on your bike, plug in your thinking cap, get your creative juices flowing, and go grab this tag!

California screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 02:33 PM
Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #200
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,225
2. A tree in bloom, it is spring, isn't it?

Not in NY!
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #201
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by California View Post
LEAP DAY list!

File preventer, a sports ball of some sort, in the picture. Like a baseball, football, basketball, soccer ball!
With no luggage on my bike, I'm NOT going to try and find a way to tote around some sporting equipment that I don't even own in the first place. Does the date stamp apply to this one as well? Is that a permanent file tag preventer at this point?

Old 02-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #202
California
Motorcyclist

Date stamp showing is ok!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #203
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb57 View Post
With no luggage on my bike, I'm NOT going to try and find a way to tote around some sporting equipment that I don't even own in the first place. Does the date stamp apply to this one as well? Is that a permanent file tag preventer at this point?
hey man, havent been on here in a few days, nice work on getting my list!

at this point it seems that date stamping is always ok from now on, but people are still adding file preventers to their lists in case someone who is going after the grabs cannot date stamp? thats why i added one to mine

im gonna have to sit the latest list out, as numbers 2,3,4,5 basically dont exist here lol
Old 02-29-2012, 09:36 PM   #204
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Cali,

Nice grab.

Can you amend your new list so that it is global in nature? As Forde pointed out, a number of the items are not available outside the US or this time of year.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #205
California
Motorcyclist

Questions for you from other countries.....

You don't have some sort of "Girl Guides" or organization for girls that sell stuff to make money? So, how about a picture of any charitable organization raising money with a table full of stuff in front of a .............

Really? Are Elevation signs an American thing?

There are camera stores everywhere, well not so much anymore, but they use to be universal, that's why I chose it, I thought it would be a challenge to find one of them left.....

As for the blooming tree, I admit that I'm spoiled by the fact that they're blooming in pink and white and purple all over the place here where the weather is more mild and where people with good sense choose to live, as opposed to the frozen north, soooooo, I'll accept anything, even flowers in the window of a florist for you numbnuts that live where you can't ride all year round....

Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #206
RC Pilot OP
Shut up and fly!

Cool
Old 03-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #207
California
Motorcyclist

As proof that spring has reached TEXAS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #208
wb57
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
As proof that spring has reached TEXAS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
It's all over North Carolina too. I'm still not convinced that we won't get a late round of winter that's going to freeze everything that's currently blooming/budding.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:56 AM   #209
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Questions for you from other countries.....
I guess that would be me in Australia.

Quote:
You don't have some sort of "Girl Guides" or organization for girls that sell stuff to make money? So, how about a picture of any charitable organization raising money with a table full of stuff in front of a .............
Girl Guide biscuits and primary school chocolates tend to be done differently here; rather than door to door selling, basically the kids bail up any and all adults they know, especially those who don't have kids of their own also trying to sell them.

What we do get though, is Bunnings bangers. Bunnings is basically Home Depot in green instead of orange. Each "Bunnings warehouse" typically has a large BBQ on wheels, a 20 foot square tent and a bunch of tables. Every Saturday and Sunday it's all set up by the entrance and each week a different community group gets to sell sausages ("bangers") in a slice of bread for $2.50 to the passing parade. A range of sauces, mustard and fried onion is free.

Quote:
Really? Are Elevation signs an American thing?
They're an altitude thing. You'll see them at passes and at lookout points, but the sign at the edge of a town (the "city limits" is a very American term) typically says something like "Nhill population 1915" (or more likely, "Nhill Lions Club welcomes you" "Meetings in the Mechanics Institute third Wednesday of every month").

According to Wikipedia, Nhill is at 436 feet ASL, but then I doubt there is anywhere below about 400 ft or above about 470 ft within 10 miles of Nhill. (I was wrong, there's a small hill about 520 ft ASL a couple of miles east of Nhill)

BTW, you can figure out how Nhill is pronounced from the fact that the local motel is called the Zero Inn.

So having chosen "Nhill" pretty much at random as a small country town, I tried to find a sign at the edge of town on google street view. And here they are:

View Larger Map

And the Lions (etc) sign just before it, also weirdly on the wrong side of the road:

View Larger Map

Quote:
There are camera stores everywhere, well not so much anymore, but they use to be universal, that's why I chose it, I thought it would be a challenge to find one of them left.....
Yep, and camera stores with enormous cameras out on the verandah roof too... (Though I doubt theres one in Nhill.)

Quote:
As for the blooming tree, I admit that I'm spoiled by the fact that they're blooming in pink and white and purple all over the place here where the weather is more mild and where people with good sense choose to live, as opposed to the frozen north, soooooo, I'll accept anything, even flowers in the window of a florist for you numbnuts that live where you can't ride all year round....
It's 3 days into Autumn here, but there's sure to be something flowering somewhere...
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #210
danedg
Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer: 6,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
I guess that would be me in Australia.

Girl Guide biscuits and primary school chocolates tend to be done differently here; rather than door to door selling, basically the kids bail up any and all adults they know, especially those who don't have kids of their own also trying to sell them.

What we do get though, is Bunnings bangers. Bunnings is basically Home Depot in green instead of orange. Each "Bunnings warehouse" typically has a large BBQ on wheels, a 20 foot square tent and a bunch of tables. Every Saturday and Sunday it's all set up by the entrance and each week a different community group gets to sell sausages ("bangers") in a slice of bread for $2.50 to the passing parade. A range of sauces, mustard and fried onion is free.

They're an altitude thing. You'll see them at passes and at lookout points, but the sign at the edge of a town (the "city limits" is a very American term) typically says something like "Nhill population 1915" (or more likely, "Nhill Lions Club welcomes you" "Meetings in the Mechanics Institute third Wednesday of every month").

According to Wikipedia, Nhill is at 436 feet ASL, but then I doubt there is anywhere below about 400 ft or above about 470 ft within 10 miles of Nhill. (I was wrong, there's a small hill about 520 ft ASL a couple of miles east of Nhill)

BTW, you can figure out how Nhill is pronounced from the fact that the local motel is called the Zero Inn.

So having chosen "Nhill" pretty much at random as a small country town, I tried to find a sign at the edge of town on google street view. And here they are:

View Larger Map

And the Lions (etc) sign just before it, also weirdly on the wrong side of the road:

View Larger Map

Yep, and camera stores with enormous cameras out on the verandah roof too... (Though I doubt theres one in Nhill.)

It's 3 days into Autumn here, but there's sure to be something flowering somewhere...
danedg is offline   Reply With Quote