Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #4726
Mr.Mouse
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
You guys need to get over yourselves...
I often get approached by people, and yeah, normally they open with kinda' dumb or redundant questions. BUT, I have heard some really cool motorcycling stories from old timers, learned about new places to ride (on and off road), been invited to go riding (going on a group ride in two weeks), rode a couple or really nice looking gals around the block on separate occasions (one of which calls me occasionally for another ride), found a couple of really good deals on "barn bikes", gotten job offers, etc...
Sometimes the people I meet aren't worth fooling with, but for the most part I get a big kick out of the gas station conversations. I like reading their faces too, the young guy drooling over my dirty bike or the old man who, in his mind, gets sent back many years to his days riding his BSA through the fields (and all the hell raising of his youth!). It's all cool, I'll talk to everyone of 'em.
I'm with ya here
Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #4727
blues
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib View Post
Garandman,

"Well, if tens of thousands of Canadians can be jingoistic, why can't we? Please - You don't see American fans booing the Canadian national anthem or calling 911 to press for criminal charges after a hockey hit."

If you watch enough sports you would have seen fans in the US booing the Canadian anthem at various sporting events. You would have even seen the US colour guard holding the Canadian flag upside while on a nationally televised baseball game.
The mistake most people make is giving their devotion to a commercial enterprise such as a hockey team and expecting some sort of personal values to apply. Watching your Boston player Chara commit a criminal assault on ice should not preclude a police investigation. No 911 calls necessary, even Canadian police watch hockey, and it was televised many thousands of time
And that hit should have resulted in criminal charges even if the victim was an American....
Er, Pacioretty is an American and Chara is from Solvakia.
blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 03:49 PM   #4728
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 668
*hijack alert*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post

Portland used to be nice... or not, depending which section of parking code you read. Part said it was OK for multiple bikes in one spot, and part said one vehicle per spot.

Now they took out all the meters and put in parking ticket dispensers, to ensure everyone pays. Fine- one moto per spot it is! FigPackers.

Hey Dwoodward,

Very odd. I returned to my hometown after a number of years away, only to discover that the powers that be had also changed over from coin meters to parking ticket dispensers.

However, this story has a happier ending!!

The "authorities" recognized they could never ensure that unscrupulous folks wouldn't simply snatch the pay slip/ticket from motorcycles and place it on their car dashboard, as required.

So, they decreed that AlLL motorcycles park for free in between cars!!

A most excellent bonus.

With my rugged '98 R1100GS, this was a relatively fear free proposition. Since Sept, when I did the unthinkable and went over to the dark side and traded in for a K1200RS with 220,000 fewer kms, I've been a lot more trepidatious about parking between cars, so I just find a nice sidewalk to park on. No problems, ticket or otherwise so far.

Hope I haven't just jinxed myself...

As for Stupid things folks say to me... I got nothin'. Folks are oddly terrified of me, and I wear an iPod 100% of the time.

I have seen a few lips proclaim "I'm calling the cops!!!" a number of times though...

Dogspeed All!!!

PS Perhaps your local MC Association could lobby the Municipal Gov't for a similar rule???

*HIJACK OVER*

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #4729
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfromboston View Post

When riding is in the discussion, I take wind seriously now. It's not all that dumb of a question.

I know, CSB.
FYI: Oklahoma and Kentucky routinely has these types,of cross winds.

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #4730
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 6,986
Yes...riding between Lawton and Altus, Oklahoma with a good wind out of the North....brutal, and dangerous. Longest hour of my life, seemed like at the time.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #4731
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,715
Quote:
//
If you watch enough sports you would have seen fans in the US booing the Canadian anthem at various sporting events. You would have even seen the US colour guard holding the Canadian flag upside while on a nationally televised baseball game..
Post up the Youtube, brother. Holding the flag on an allied country upside down would become a diplomatic incident.

In Boston, thousands of fans sing the Canadian national anthem. I'm one of them. The very popular guy who sings it most of the time, Rene Rancourt, is from Maine but his parents were born in Quebec.

Quote:
The mistake most people make is giving their devotion to a commercial enterprise such as a hockey team and expecting some sort of personal values to apply. Watching your Boston player Chara commit a criminal assault on ice should not preclude a police investigation. No 911 calls necessary, even Canadian police watch hockey, and it was televised many thousands of time. And that hit should have resulted in criminal charges even if the victim was an American...
A spokesman for the Montreal police spoke at length on a Boston radio station. The police did not file the charges and did not encourage fans to call 911. A local radio station encouraged fans to call 911 - well after the game had ended. The Montreal PD spokesman said they were directed to open an investigation 'by the crown." He also implied that they would much prefer to be dealing with actual crimes.

OT but the stanchion hit injuries, which are now common, could be eliminated in a week if the league wanted to. Two companies, one American and one Canadian, make stanchion padding that would virtually eliminate concussions. The team owners don't support it because they are larger in diameter and would interfere with tv angles.

BTW, Zdano Chara was recently hit in the face with a puck in a game in Montreal that drew blood. The Canadiens fans cheered - a new low.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #4732
chrise2469
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post
Post up the Youtube, brother. Holding the flag on an allied country upside down would become a diplomatic incident.
After much searching my google-fu is weak today.

Only watch the first 10 seconds, that's all ya need. 1992 world series, game 2. When that happened I was serving (in the army not a bar) and the first thought was: How many extras is that guy gonna get and/or jail time. We knew it was a screw up and not deliberate- no Marine is gonna embarrass country or corp like that.

The Marines requested and were granted the opportunity to do it right for game 3.
http://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/21/sp...ted=all&src=pm

I might also add Montreal Canadian fans ain't right in the head-they are Hab fans after all .
chrise2469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:55 AM   #4733
Tinks
Imp of Satan

Oddometer: 20,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyload View Post
Yes...riding between Lawton and Altus, Oklahoma with a good wind out of the North....brutal, and dangerous. Longest hour of my life, seemed like at the time.
We rode from OKC and Davenport back to AR. Two bikes. Three riders. My daughter was my pillion. She acted like a sail until I got her to lean forward into me when the wind got bad. We were all tired after that ride!! (6 hours, 3 were heavy winds)

(Mr. Disaster) Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010
Tinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #4734
Ponies ate my Bagel
Bisexual Bandit

Oddometer: 1,872
I had an odd one Sunday. I stopped by the bank to grab some cash and a guy came up and asked me if the bike parked 10' away was mine. I'm standing alone at the ATM, there isn't another car in the area and I'm holding a helmet...

I told him it was and we chatted about it for a minute while I got my cash. I told him I would be doing some off-roading later that day. He told me that the DRZ didn't look like it would handle off-road very well. (to be fair it's in full street trim with pretty much DOT legal slicks)

A few hours later I'm 25 miles off-road near one of my favorite campgrounds. This guy pulls up in a Honda SUV and rolls his window down. The same guy from the bank! First words out of his mouth, "Holy crap dude did you ride that up here?" At this point I couldn't resist and said, "Naw my buddies from the coast guard got me here via airdrop." I figured this would end the conversation. It didn't, instead I got an "Are you SERIOUS!?!"

Ponies ate my Bagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 AM   #4735
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponies ate my Bagel View Post
(...) At this point I couldn't resist and said, "Naw my buddies from the coast guard got me here via airdrop." I figured this would end the conversation. It didn't, instead I got an "Are you SERIOUS!?!"

He's right, that's AWESOME! What is their 1-800 number, I want to do that too! And did ponies really eat your bagel?

Sometimes I am a little concerned that many people in conversation only "hear" and not "listen", the latter implying an active thought process that goes together with the input received by their ears.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #4736
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponies ate my Bagel View Post
I had an odd one Sunday. I stopped by the bank to grab some cash and a guy came up and asked me if the bike parked 10' away was mine. I'm standing alone at the ATM, there isn't another car in the area and I'm holding a helmet...

I told him it was and we chatted about it for a minute while I got my cash. I told him I would be doing some off-roading later that day. He told me that the DRZ didn't look like it would handle off-road very well. (to be fair it's in full street trim with pretty much DOT legal slicks)

A few hours later I'm 25 miles off-road near one of my favorite campgrounds. This guy pulls up in a Honda SUV and rolls his window down. The same guy from the bank! First words out of his mouth, "Holy crap dude did you ride that up here?" At this point I couldn't resist and said, "Naw my buddies from the coast guard got me here via airdrop." I figured this would end the conversation. It didn't, instead I got an "Are you SERIOUS!?!"

Is it that strange that a DRZ (motard or not) can go to a place where a Honda "SUV" can anyway?!
Old 03-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #4737
Mister D
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
Did the SUV have street tires?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #4738
SteveJ
n00b, but I have beer...

Oddometer: 124
I stopped to pick up a few things at a Target a couple days ago. Helmet was in the cart.

Cashier(purty young lady): You ride?

Me: Yup

Cashier: I'm thinking I want to start riding.

We chatted for a bit, I wished her good luck.

It does seem sometimes that the "stupid" question is being used a a conversation starter.
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:16 AM   #4739
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
I like good bike stories too. This might be a 205, but a good story from the hills never hurts....

">

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:19 AM   #4740
Iron Dingo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
i was putting on my lid and getting on my Ducati Multistrada when a guy walking by wearing a Harley jacket calls out to me
"hey those things have Harley motors in them don't they?"

me. "umm. no they are Italian they are all Italian"(ok so i fibbed a little)

I was so tempted to call back "No, I ride a performance bike, not a tractor" but i did not want to get in a fight.
Iron Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote