User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
lucky_strike OP
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,657
With the sun on your back....

it all started in 2005. flux calls me up, "hey man, this guy i know is sellin his xr go buy it" i reply with an ok. then i was hooked. im sure that xr is dead in the water in someones backyard by now, but the adventure continues to be had.

im really not very good at story tellin, and as some of you may know....i suck at grammar. so im just gonna post some pics of different places i ride to and neat things i pass by. enjoy.

found i neat very non-mantained gravel road today so of course i had to try out the gs' offroad paws. those cows looked at me like i was an alien...doubt they have ever seen a motorcycle on this road before

then i wondered off the beaten path into this cool little mudhole. it got pretty sloppy back there. and when the road started making steep decents with the freeze from last night starting to thaw, i decided to not risk it alone.

i was suprised at how well the tourances did..it slid around alot but never "lost" its footing. notice alll the snotty mud on the front tire...i may need to invest in a TT front fender

couldnt believe how well the gs handled off road. jeep sums up my thoughts of this bike.

after a while i found some pavement again and came across this sign. i had passed it once before with a couple other riders but didnt stop to snap a pic until today.

and this is why. im not sure how deep the sides drop off too...but the drainage pipes under the bridge seems to be 6 ft diameter.

and just so every one here is on the same page...this is the same bridge after a "light" rain. the current is stronger than it looks. and in the summer time a nasty green algae grows on the concrete and let me tell you...it is slicker then ice.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561

lucky_strike screwed with this post 03-22-2012 at 12:01 PM Reason: title was gey
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,480
oh, i know what you mean about the alge being slicker than ice on a concrete water crossing. we've got a couple of those in this area, too.
thanks for the pics and story!

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #3
WHITEHOUSE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Good work in the mud with those Tourances! I tried that with mine and she wanted to get down and root like the 600 pound mud pig she is. I put some TKC 80s on but I still have to use a firm hand when she smells the wet good stuff. Jeep is not the first adjective that comes to mind, but I still like her. Thanks for the report.
WHITEHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,942
nice ride, are ya outta the cruiser business

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
lucky_strike OP
whose flux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
nice ride, are ya outta the cruiser business
The cruiser thing was fun for a minute...good for picking up women. Lol.

Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #6
lucky_strike OP
whose flux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEHOUSE View Post
Good work in the mud with those Tourances! I tried that with mine and she wanted to get down and root like the 600 pound mud pig she is. I put some TKC 80s on but I still have to use a firm hand when she smells the wet good stuff. Jeep is not the first adjective that comes to mind, but I still like her. Thanks for the report.
What I meant by Jeep, is u have to take her slow steady and have a line picked out lol. I plan on tkc's for my Colorado trip coming up though

Old 02-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 928
ahoy

nice lucky!!! keep it up, the ride report that is-anything else is your personal business-perhaps we'll meet again ridien two wheels. if ya get out to AZ with that beemer, i have loads of forest roads to ride

Monte
Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
lucky_strike OP
whose flux?

hey bro, hope everything is going well. hopefully we will meet sooner rather than later. hows my girl winnie? (i think that was the pups name?)

funny you should chime in here....i may have work in pheonix coming up..:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montek View Post
nice lucky!!! keep it up, the ride report that is-anything else is your personal business-perhaps we'll meet again ridien two wheels. if ya get out to AZ with that beemer, i have loads of forest roads to ride

Monte

lucky_strike screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 01:23 PM
Old 03-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #9
lucky_strike OP
whose flux?

what a great ride today

i had a huge story with pictures and everything from todays ride....then for whatever reason my computer said no. it booted off to run a systems check. so now yall just get the pictures. im so frustrated with the computer right now....grrr.

short jist of my day...i woke up at 8 am. it was 35 degrees. but sunny. i had a new pair of firstgear katmandu's that needed to be tested. they really kept me warm, very comfortable. decided to run down 55 and then through 68. i found some really unexpected things...some.things i cant explain

KY's covered bridge. 1 of 13 remaining

i have no idea what this was used for....but it caught my eye

i cant explain this. a mine? i dont know. but a 61 yr old local told me it has been there ince before he was born.

at the time (1876) i think, this was n americas tallest rr bridge. at 276 ft tall. there is a pedestrian bridge down stream that stands over 200 ft tall and 176 ft long.(i couldnt find the walk bridge, but didnt really try either) a ferry at the bottom will bring you across. this a real unexpected treat. heres a link if you would like to read further
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Bridge_of_Kentucky

weird the water coming from the coal plant was cleaner than the ky river. i couldnt get over how dramatic the two colors are

lucky_strike screwed with this post 03-03-2012 at 01:19 PM
Old 03-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
lucky_strike OP
whose flux?

just found this about the cave house.

Col. Chinn "had returned to his native Mercer County and the scenic palisades that he loved in the Brooklyn community along the Kentucky River near the Brooklyn Bridge between Jessamine and Mercer counties.

A dynamite expert who went by the name "Tunnel" Smith helped Chinn blast out a hole in a cliff near U.S. 68, where Chinn hung out a sign that read, "Chinn's Cave House."

There were four [COLOR=#739912 !important][COLOR=#739912 !important]gas [COLOR=#739912 !important]pumps[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] out front to fuel the new Model-A Fords that passed, and diners could enjoy the signature ham sandwiches and foot-long hot dogs Chinn and his wife, "Cotton," prepared. The sandwiches were so inexpensive that some customers wondered how Chinn made any money.

The truth was, he had two or three [COLOR=#739912 !important][COLOR=#739912 !important]slot[/COLOR][/COLOR] machines off the main bar and grill -- a tiny, Depression-era, off-track, riverside, underground gambling operation, if you will.
Penny slot splashes

At one time he had a penny slot machine, but tossed it into the river off the bridge after becoming concerned that youngsters might get hooked on gambling at the penny slot. He didn't want that on his conscience, his grandson, Howard "Buddy" Howells, told me."

Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
RichardHead
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Cool pictures..

Nice pictures, I've been lurking here a while but havn't posted.

I can't post pictures yet, but you and I ride the same areas. I'm north east of Lexington.

be safe, and if you want to cruise out this way give me a yell.
RichardHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #12
Montek
Eternal Noob

Yo

Lucky,

If ya can get out here, try not to be in phoenix later than may, gets hotter than heck and absolutely no fun. But, if you are out here in the heat, I am 3.5 hours up in the mountains where it seldom gets out of the upper 70's. Then you can come up on weekends, cool off and ride all the great forest roads. After about mid november it gets cold up here and the forest roads get snow and become muddy mess, eventually closing because of snow. But that is when i move the camper to the phoenis area and ride down there. Best of both worlds. Any way if ya make it out, I gots riden for ya.

Yes, Winnie's her name and gets sweeter ever year!! An absolute joy to have as a furry companion. loves to ride with me on the back of the tiger.

Great info and pics brother, keep it up!! Hope to see out here

Monte
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #13
lucky_strike OP
whose flux?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardHead View Post
Nice pictures, I've been lurking here a while but havn't posted.

I can't post pictures yet, but you and I ride the same areas. I'm north east of Lexington.

be safe, and if you want to cruise out this way give me a yell.
hey richard, absolutly will do bro. i am trying to get out and ride at least one day every weekend. i think next weekend im going to try and hit natural bridge. ive never been there but here there is some great riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montek View Post
Lucky,

If ya can get out here, try not to be in phoenix later than may, gets hotter than heck and absolutely no fun. But, if you are out here in the heat, I am 3.5 hours up in the mountains where it seldom gets out of the upper 70's. Then you can come up on weekends, cool off and ride all the great forest roads. After about mid november it gets cold up here and the forest roads get snow and become muddy mess, eventually closing because of snow. But that is when i move the camper to the phoenis area and ride down there. Best of both worlds. Any way if ya make it out, I gots riden for ya.

Yes, Winnie's her name and gets sweeter ever year!! An absolute joy to have as a furry companion. loves to ride with me on the back of the tiger.

Great info and pics brother, keep it up!! Hope to see out here

Monte
i should be up in the middle of may through a year or so. i think nothing is ever in stone in my feild of work, whoch makes planning impossible. glad to hear winnie is doing good. one of the coolest ive ever met. my brother and i are deffentily planning a trip to colorado in july, you should try and meet up with us at some point. when did you get the tiger? i need pictures brotha..i had a 955 for a while, and while i loved it i could never get the thing to run right after the dealership remapped it. pricks.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:52 PM   #14
Montek
Eternal Noob

Cool

Well, if it happens, we'll ride. My tiger was set up really nice by p.o. high fender kit, great suspension, seat, bla bla - heading to copper canyon mexico in april with it. whats flux riden now?

My summer is filled up. Riding to moto gp laguna seca this july - about 7 days, it'll be a hoot. might be longer we'll see. So unfortunately don't have any more time off work in july.

Monte
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike View Post
Col. Chinn "had returned to his native Mercer County and the scenic palisades that he loved in the Brooklyn community along the Kentucky River near the Brooklyn Bridge between Jessamine and Mercer counties.

A dynamite expert who went by the name "Tunnel" Smith helped Chinn blast out a hole in a cliff near U.S. 68, where Chinn hung out a sign that read, "Chinn's Cave House."

There were four [COLOR=#739912 !important][COLOR=#739912 !important]gas [COLOR=#739912 !important]pumps[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] out front to fuel the new Model-A Fords that passed, and diners could enjoy the signature ham sandwiches and foot-long hot dogs Chinn and his wife, "Cotton," prepared. The sandwiches were so inexpensive that some customers wondered how Chinn made any money.

The truth was, he had two or three [COLOR=#739912 !important][COLOR=#739912 !important]slot[/COLOR][/COLOR] machines off the main bar and grill -- a tiny, Depression-era, off-track, riverside, underground gambling operation, if you will.
Penny slot splashes

At one time he had a penny slot machine, but tossed it into the river off the bridge after becoming concerned that youngsters might get hooked on gambling at the penny slot. He didn't want that on his conscience, his grandson, Howard "Buddy" Howells, told me."

This cave house/diner/gas station is very interesting! Thanks for sharing!!

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote