Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #16
feathered OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockley Boy View Post
Happens to us all sooner or later, Tigers like to lie down. The lucky ones (not me) intall crash bars before they drop it the first time.
I'm taking a trip in May and I think this inspired me to order some bars. Do you have any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the touratechs..
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #17
Seavoyage
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathered View Post
I dropped my Tiger in a parking lot this morning. Whew, I feel better now. 60 minutes later as I was leaving, a girl asked me what year Triumph it was, and all I could think was "thank god she missed the show".

The damage: sticky throttle, pathetic little scratches on the pegs and handlebar end.
The lessons: get off on the left side of the bike only. don't jump off the bike like I think I'm fucking spiderman.
The proof:

Lucky without the crash bars you didn't scuff up your Acerbis tank and cowling. So much easier to pick up with crash bars.. I drop my Tiger at least twice a month... and not only off pavement . even with crash bars I've rubbed the cowling.

I installed aluminium barkbusters/hand guards to cut down on purchasing replacement levers. Have you figured out the panniers are to protect your rear blinkers?

Crashbars selection: TouraTech (DE), Hepco & Becker (DE), SW-Motech (DE), Thunderbike (NZ), Ma's Cycles (US), HappyTrails (US), Jack Lilly (GB). Reviews? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161561

I run Fehling (DE) which are the narrowest, but flex when La Tigressa decided to take a nap... solved when I fabricated a bash plate that stiffens/triangulates the lower section..

Seavoyage screwed with this post 02-29-2012 at 07:29 PM
Seavoyage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 AM   #18
rreid7014
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxiedog View Post
After riding on a 114°day,i steped off my bike at the store.
Forgot to put the side stand down. FLOP!
That same CB750, about a week later, got knocked ever by me, driving my mothers car. I had been cleaning out my mothers car and went to pull it out of the driveway to take it to put air in the tires and CRASH. I immediately knew what I had done and the embarrassment was laid on thick when people looked out of their windows to see what made the noise. That poor bike was having a hard time dealing with my move to Maryland.
IBA #498
AMA# 939281
rreid7014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
Hockley Boy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
I'm taking a trip in May and I think this inspired me to order some bars. Do you have any recommendations? I'm leaning towards the touratechs..

Have a look on tigertriple.com, lots on there about the various bars. Most seem to like the Touratechs though.
Hockley Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:47 AM   #20
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,338
Just a quick nap, thats all...
Quote:
The proof:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:48 AM   #21
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 1,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8dawg6 View Post
join the club! it could have been worse ... you could have dumped your nice, barely one month old, previously-unscathed, shiny new bike at an intersection in front of a bunch of onlookers, had a homeless guy assist in picking the bike up (p.s. that guy gets a $100 bill if I ever see him again), and then had to ride the bike all the way home in 1st because the shifter peg snapped off.

Vice grips in the tool pack!

RIDE RED!
WTB: Honda XR650L bottom end
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 AM   #22
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
Add zip ties, and you are good to go.
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:07 AM   #23
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,347
Hey feathered. You are the second "face plant" C.O.M.M.I.E. this week!!! Check our thread. Fearless has had an ....off.
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
chip
Follow Me

Oddometer: 1,758
another guy told me about using an allen wrench ziptied to the shifter. seems like it would work.
chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #25
drrider1
just running amuck

Oddometer: 379
I always thought it was'nt mine till I dropped it at least once
drrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #26
inbred
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
What is the point of wearing a jacket and full face helmet with shorts and open shoes???

If you fall in EXACTLY the right way, surfing the pavement on your stomach with your back arched and fee and knees in the air, it actually can be pretty good protection.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #27
Fire44
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
The day I picked up my KLR from the dealership, (I hauled it home on my open trailer). I tied it down really well and realized that I didn't put the side stand up. I went to the left side of the bike and released the tie down strap, with the right side tie down still tight. Of course there were customers and employees standing out side to watch my brand new bike do a S L O W fall onto its right side......

2009 Kawasaki KLR650
Fire44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
max384
Disgruntled Student

Oddometer: 2,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
That's why I always carry a pair of small locking pliers, and some zip ties. A fellow inmate used such ingenuity to rescue one of our group on a ride many years back. The field fix before we found the ace hardware was a pair of pliers and wire from a nearby barbed wire fence. The locking pliers were a bit more elegant, and from what I remember, stayed on the bike for some time until a replacement part was secured. Cures lots of ills:

Great idea. I think I may have to keep a pair of vicegrips in my tail for just in case (plus, it's a handy tool).

My shift peg broke and I decided to just drill out the end, run a bolt through and add some plastic spacers over the bolt until I bought a replacement OEM one... Well, I ended up liking the feel of this one better, so I'll just stick with it!

Pennsylvania to Newfoundland Ride Report
max384 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:11 AM   #29
NoVa Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,336
NoVa Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #30
metropolis2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
What is the point of wearing a jacket and full face helmet with shorts and open shoes???
He was probably on his way to or from scrutineering. Officials need to inspect the helmet and jacket and because of the heat (and because a long and hot briefing session sometimes follows), rather than wearing the full kit most racers favour much lighter clothing.
metropolis2k is offline   Reply With Quote