Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Airhead Wrangler OP
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
A Mexican Ducati rescue and rebuild

While trolling the local version of craigslist here in mexico I stumbled across a listing 4 hours away up in Guadalajara for a '71 ducati 750 rolling frame with engine - basically a complete bike minus tank, seat, body panels. Oh cool. Then I thought about it for a second. They didn't make a 750 in '71. I began comparing photos to the photos in the ad and with the corroboration of others here in old's cool, determined that it was most likely a '79 or early 80s Pantah 500SL. I called the guy up and he didn't know much about it. He said he really wasn't sure of the year, but thought it was a 750. He had inherited it from his father who had kept it in the back of a motorcycle shop for about 20 years. The seller had always meant to restore it, but had just never gotten around to it. It sounded promising and I was ready for a weekend roadtrip so I packed up the truck yesterday and drove the four hours up to Guadalajara with my girlfriend. This morning we headed up to the seller's neighborhood and met up with him. The bike was about what I expected. The frame and many fasteners are pretty rusty, but definitely fixable, the cases are pretty corroded, the transmission shifts, the engine turns over with the back wheel, I haven't checked the electrical stuff, but all the basics seem to be here for a rebuild. Anyway, I bought it, loaded it in the truck and brought it home. My dog likes it too.

Notice the PO was thoughtful enough to seal off the mouths of the carbs before storing it.

Confirmed, it's a pantah 500SL:

One thing I've found kind of strange is the combo of the chrome frame which appears original and the white wheels. I haven't found a single photo of any pantah with anything other than a black frame and gold wheels. Any ideas there? I probably won't rechrome it as there isn't anywhere to chrome stuff near where I live. It might just get some satin black rustoleum chassis paint. Any recommendations for cleaning up the engine and more importantly keeping it from corroding again (I live across the street from the ocean). I'll be disassembling everything in the next couple days to get a clearer picture of what I'm working with.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 03-04-2012 at 07:54 PM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote