Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 10:12 AM   #31
pennintj
Down & Dirty Mechanic

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by viseGrip View Post
hi all!

i want to take some time to travel around the U.S. on back roads, dirt roads and trails, picking up the odd-job here and there to keep me going - sort of a 'bike hobo' i guess :)

* good reliability with long times between maintenance (valves and such)
* fuel efficient
* needs to be comfortable at 65 or so, possibly for extended periods when necessary
* close to a 50/50 mix of on/off road capability ('off' being mostly dirt roads, but trails also)
* will obviously need to carry some extra weight, so no slouchy suspension

i'm a pretty average build at 5'11" and ~185lbs. and my riding experience consists of both road and dirt (mostly trail riding).
I've had my Funduro a week, and I'm in love. Had the "puking petrol" and ignition problem (see the f650.org faq section) which were pretty easy to fix (rebuild the carbs, re-solder a connection) and done. The previous owner was a short guy, so he's either lowered the rear end or they just sit low. I can stop flat footed (I still have to look at that) Parts are cheap if you know where to look, and provided you do a couple little things you can ride it round the world....at least from what I've heard. But mebbe that's just talk :)

You can always do a fly & ride.

99' BMW F650 Funduro - $2700 (Keene)
http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/2881832836.html

BMW 1999 F650 - $3800 (Hickory NC)
http://hickory.craigslist.org/mcy/2869448545.html

BMW F650 ST 1996 classic - $2999 (Charleston, SC)

http://charleston.craigslist.org/mcy/2848660938.html

-=Tom
www.fxmotorsports.net
pennintj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #32
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,371
Guys seem to be doing all sorts of amazing stuff on the wr250, and seem to be having fun doing it.
And then the is the big bore mod....

Quote:
@Rainshadow - thanks for that!!! will make for some interesting reading!

you guys are making me think twice now... the size, weight, extended service intervals and FI on the WR are sure mighty attractive - people seem to love 'em

very cool!
NJ-Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #33
viseGrip OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ-Brett View Post
Guys seem to be doing all sorts of amazing stuff on the wr250, and seem to be having fun doing it.
And then the is the big bore mod....
yeah, i'm reading through BigDog's blog now - VERY COOL! this is the kind of trip i want to do - no particular destination and no planned route - just go!
viseGrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:21 PM   #34
viseGrip OP
Adventurer

well, i found an 07 DR650SE locally for about $3700 - not even broken in yet - ~750mi. and in showroom condition - completely stock - original tires almost like new

KBB tells me the retail is $3710

it's not the bike i would really prefer (rather have a WRR or a DRZ) but i know it's in absolutely stellar condition

the KBB values seem to be low to me - they're quoting values as being from a dealer and the dealers are selling roughly $1000+ over KBB. also i'm seeing many bikes on craigslist being priced right around the KBB values and selling very quickly

so... question is, if i buy it and decide i don't like it, could i expect to get every penny back out of it, or even a bit more?

in truth, i don't think i'd want to sell it - it seems like a fun bike, just a bit more bike than ideal. still a little tall, but i saw the rear spring was cranked to nearly max
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #35
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
well, i found an 07 DR650SE locally for about $3700 - not even broken in yet - ~750mi. and in showroom condition - completely stock - original tires almost like new

KBB tells me the retail is $3710

it's not the bike i would really prefer (rather have a WRR or a DRZ) but i know it's in absolutely stellar condition

the KBB values seem to be low to me - they're quoting values as being from a dealer and the dealers are selling roughly $1000+ over KBB. also i'm seeing many bikes on craigslist being priced right around the KBB values and selling very quickly

so... question is, if i buy it and decide i don't like it, could i expect to get every penny back out of it, or even a bit more?

in truth, i don't think i'd want to sell it - it seems like a fun bike, just a bit more bike than ideal. still a little tall, but i saw the rear spring was cranked to nearly max
If its not the bike you want and would rather have a DRZ or WRR then it sounds like a lousy deal, don't settle keep looking for what you want. Buying and selling is a pain in the ass and never is worth the hassle, Id pass and keep looking.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #36
viseGrip OP
Adventurer

the end...

i thank all those that helped me reach a decision - some really good info was provided and i absolutely appreciate it!

i ended up buying an 07 DR650SE with less than 800 miles on it - never been on the trails or in the rain and was kept in a heated garage, so it's literally like brand spanking new

let the modding begin...