User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #136
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,368
Bend and Juniper

I'm glad you are using the same pipe as last year because I like that look too.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #137
Kootenai Rider
Displaced Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post

Luke hurt his ankle while running to get in shape for a race. How sad is that; he can't train for his motorcycle race because he hurt himself running down the street. Sad.
Based on this statement, you're saying riding motorcycles is SAFER than running down the street? I am so using this to my advantage.

2012 KTM 250XC-W "Ginger"
Kootenai Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:13 PM   #138
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Hmmmmmm does that apply to walking down the street too? Perhaps Luke is giving me something to use to my advantage.

Heal up quickly Luke.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #139
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenai Rider View Post
Based on this statement, you're saying riding motorcycles is SAFER than running down the street? I am so using this to my advantage.
No, compared to my get-off at Starvation Ridge a couple of years ago, I'd say it's about equal.

Running would be way safer in moto boots. Or at least with a flashlight. The good news is that although my foot is still zombie colored, I'm not walking like one anymore.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #140
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,944
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #141
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar View Post
Paul, Rick, Lonnie, and Allan went for a ride. I'm sure it was no fun at all.

Actually, I'm told it was a great day; the bike ran well and the new suspension is just awesome.
Luke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #142
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394

Yep, no fun at all!!

Ok, I'm lying. This weekend has been a great one for Outta Sight Racing, even if Luke was laid up with a bum ankle.

Rick came down on Saturday and we did some fine tuning and some suspension tuning on the old girl, then took her up on some forest roads to stretch her legs. It was pretty misty and foggy and visibility was limited. The woods were full of locals hauling ass in their lifted Toyota's so we were cautious about taking it too fast. Lonnie let us borrow his vintage 1979 Honda XR500 and me and Rick took turns on the SL. We didn't stay out too long but made some good observations:

Lonnie's XR has a sweet motor.....lots of torque, lots of power and its all there. However, the brakes are a bit lacking

This just cemented the fact that the SL with its front XR600R front disc was a definite and important upgrade...the SL just stops like a modern bike. The brakes are consistent and competent...something that they weren't last year

Rick and I are both feeling real good about the bike and I can't wait to have Luke and Paul Jr. take there turn on here so we can see how they like it.

On Sunday, Lonnie and I headed to Sandlake to get some sand time in. Allan came down and rode with us and helped get some video and photos of our day. It was a good day, and after some clutch adjustment (which is difficult to get right in soft sand), we tore it up.

The SL just felt great on the sand, it tracked well and the front end soaked everything up I handed it. The rear needs some fine tuning with the rebound, but overall, she ran well for a 350 pound, 40 year-old dual sport...no, she ran amazing for a 350 pound, 40-year-old dual sport!!

I quickly edited some of our Go-Pro video from the past two weekends...here ya go!

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #143
Mr. Fisherman
FTW! FIT! FIN! FYYFF

Oddometer: 10,428
Sweet!
Mr. Fisherman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 AM   #144
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

That just made my morning.

Great pictures, that sure is a pretty bike.

I really like the video, it's so good seeing the SL doing what it was built to do instead of sitting around looking pretty in a shop.

Yep, the SL went to right home.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #145
papaduc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
Really nice job on the video.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #146
LC Garage
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
2012 MK1 Prep Update 3-5-12 (LC Garage aka Rick)

Since my last report on physical conditioning, I have been doing at least one work out per day and two if the work schedule permits. When at work it is the treadmill (still going a half mile as a prelude to other work, but continuing to increase speed) and rowing machine (averaging about 175 strokes per sitting, 5 to 7 minutes), squat machine and a small amount of upper body work at break times, and when at home riding the stationary bike. The stationary bike is the type that has the push/pull handlebars and gives me a good workout. Saturday morning I logged a solid 45 minutes and felt pretty good. In addition, I’ve also been making a strong effort to eat healthy. If there are any fitness buffs out there reading this, I do realize this is not the stuff of iron man competitors, but it’s still way more than I’ve done in the past.

After completing my Saturday morning workout, I hit the road for Tillamook to work on the bike with Paul and Lonnie. We pulled the front fork legs to replace the seals and wipers (last week one of the legs began weeping a bit) and then reinstalled. This was accompanied by the usual OSR “discussions” that get fairly animated at times, but it’s all in good fun.

Paul and I then took the SL350 and Lonnie’s XR500 up into the back roads above Bay City and rode for about an hour, and learned pretty quickly that the turning radius of the SL350 is a bit wide for power-line trails! We also learned that while the old twin shock 500 has a really solid torque curve and is fun to ride, the brakes border on wishful thinking, creating a few moments of panic before you realized you just have to go a little slower. As Paul mentioned above, the SL350 brakes are working really well now and are confidence inspiring.

Yesterday I began prepping my TTR250 for the D100, starting with a good cleaning, then oil change (synthetic), and removing the tank, seat and air filter. Have been reading some TTR modification tips online and immediately found one of the tips to be useful. The stock throttle stop is adjusted to only allow about 7/8 throttle and when you are only dealing with about 20 HP to start with, full throttle might be handy, so readjusted that and also removed the highly restrictive snorkel at he top of the air box, as we shouldn’t be crossing any deep water out in the desert. Have got an engine skid plate on order as well as handlebar risers and also have a new Dunlop D952 to replace the much worn rear. I'm also modifying a small bag to fit the rear fender, in order to have somewhere to store tools and other handy bits. When all that is done I will also change front fork fluid and readjust the suspenders front & rear and should be ready.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:10 PM   #147
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregoncoast View Post
Lonnie's XR has a sweet motor.....lots of torque, lots of power and its all there. However, the brakes are a bit lacking
Quote:
Originally Posted by LC Garage View Post
We also learned that while the old twin shock 500 has a really solid torque curve and is fun to ride, the brakes border on wishful thinking, creating a few moments of panic before you realized you just have to go a little slower.
Not to worry, the brakes on a 500 will eventually bring the bike to a stop. You just have to patient.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #148
oregoncoast OP
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,394
Luke, Paul Jr., Allan and I are heading to the Juniper OHV area near the tri-cities in Washington, first thing in the morning tomorrow (Saturday). More updates following that adventure!!
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:39 AM   #149
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,815
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #150
decafe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
mexico

50 days. Left getting real I am trying to get in long day ride Sunday. Will call on Monday to talk. Andrew
decafe is offline   Reply With Quote