User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #5011
titont
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Hi all,

Have anyone ever experienced broken bolt at first sprocket? I'm 240 lbs and dirtrided in deep mud all day long yesterday, mainly 1st and 2nd gear, hi rev. Can this be the reason of breaking the bolt? Material fatigue or something?

titont

titont screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 06:56 AM
titont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #5012
titont
Adventurer

Picture
Old 03-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #5013
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,655
That's a result of over-tightening of the sprocket bolt. The torque specification for that bolt is surprisingly light (18 ft-lb) and most people over-tighten it. I know because the same thing happened to mine. Tighten the new bolt lightly and use a thread-locking compound.

If you've never had the sprocket off before, perhaps it was a result of fatigue due to debris building up around the sprocket.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #5014
titont
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
That's a result of over-tightening of the sprocket bolt. The torque specification for that bolt is surprisingly light (18 ft-lb) and most people over-tighten it. I know because the same thing happened to mine. Tighten the new bolt lightly and use a thread-locking compound.

If you've never had the sprocket off before, perhaps it was a result of fatigue due to debris building up around the sprocket.
Thanks Klay, you master of 200, as usual! :)

titont
Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 AM   #5015
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKohler883 View Post
Was that bike lowered ? I must be missing something if not. No 5'-0" person would even be able to swing their leg over my DR, let alone touch the ground. I was hoping that my 5'-6" girlfriend woiuld be able to ride mine. But just standing next to it, I was like No Way.

Yeah the preload is all the way out on the rear and I dropped the fork tubes until they were a C-hair away from the bars. Think I'm gonna shave a tiny bit of foam off the seat as well to get another inch or so.
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #5016
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Was that bike lowered ? I must be missing something if not. No 5'-0" person would even be able to swing their leg over my DR, let alone touch the ground. I was hoping that my 5'-6" girlfriend woiuld be able to ride mine. But just standing next to it, I was like No Way.
I'm 5'5"...I have no problems getting on and off mine and it's fully stock. Even when I have my goofy trunk on for road trips, I'm okay with getting off and on...

psu75 screwed with this post 03-05-2012 at 12:41 PM
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #5017
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Reflector

Anyone know where I can pick up one of the reflectors that screw on the front fork? Somehow lost mine...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #5018
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Well then, I will have to make her try it then ... after I finally get it running and street legal. I have the think over a month, and it is still being worked on.
Hey, what do you have your Givi case mounted to ? I have that same case. Actually I have 2 of them.
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #5019
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
Well then, I will have to make her try it then ... after I finally get it running and street legal. I have the think over a month, and it is still being worked on.
Hey, what do you have your Givi case mounted to ? I have that same case. Actually I have 2 of them.
It came with a mounting plate...

Old 03-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #5020
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

so you bolted it directly through the fender ? I always clamped it to a rack ... i do have a Suzuki aftermarket accessory rack on my DR, I have not tried to line up the plate yet though, it will most likely work, but since i am not touring on the DR, I will just use a soft bag.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #5021
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Local dealer can get you a reflector. looks like it lists for about $11.50 .... no cheap, but probably still cheaper than trying find on ebay, and pay the cost to ship. Most people take them off. Mine doesn't have any.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM   #5022
James027
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Headlamp mod?

Hey guys. I am newer to the forums and have been wanting a dr 200 for a while now. I have a lifan 200 that I just don't trust, but I couldn't wait for summer to ride, haha. Anyway I want to mod mine a bit obviously and was wondering if the Acerbis D.O.T. LED Vision HP Headlight would look decent on it. If anyboy has any pics of what this light looks like on a dr or close looking bike I would greatly apptreciate the pics.
James027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #5023
James027
n00b

Oddometer: 7
btw http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Headlight.aspx that is the link to the headlight
James027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #5024
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,619
Quote:
My 5'0" daughter had no trouble with straddling the one I bought for her. I would think that at 5'6" it should be no problem, especially once she's aboard.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 AM   #5025
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
so you bolted it directly through the fender ? I always clamped it to a rack ... i do have a Suzuki aftermarket accessory rack on my DR, I have not tried to line up the plate yet though, it will most likely work, but since i am not touring on the DR, I will just use a soft bag.
Yeah, the mounting kit it came with didn't line up with the rack over the rear fender at all so I said @#$% it and just bolted it directly to the fender. Believe it or not, it's really quite sturdy! I wouldn't take it off road on any seriously bumpy rides but for touring, it works just fine!