Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #11521
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
Very few people make money via motorcycling. Think of it as using your assets to purchase happiness. Well spent!
Exactly - it's my only hobby that actually costs money, so why would I not? Better then spending it on booze and women ...

Back to topic: I have a Givi topcase I like to continue to use and I am looking for a good mounting plate. I don't like the "base plate + adapter" of the SW Motech all too much, the AltRider is really expensive for a piece of metal, the Givi requires drilling the plastic cover, what else is out there? Anything you guys can recommend?
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #11522
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,696
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Exactly - it's my only hobby that actually costs money, so why would I not? Better then spending it on booze and women ...

Back to topic: I have a Givi topcase I like to continue to use and I am looking for a good mounting plate. I don't like the "base plate + adapter" of the SW Motech all too much, the AltRider is really expensive for a piece of metal, the Givi requires drilling the plastic cover, what else is out there? Anything you guys can recommend?
I have the SW Motech plate and yes, it's a PIA to fit but once done, it works well and I find that when I don't have the top box, the SW plate allows me to strap stuff to it via the slots very easily.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #11523
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Exactly - it's my only hobby that actually costs money
I need to get some new hobbies!!!!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #11524
cug
--

What I didn't like about the Motech plate was that it was actually always a bit loose. I had one with the Givi adaptor on my F800GS two years back and I really didn't like it that much.

Re hobbies: let's put it that way - it's pretty much my only hobby ...
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #11525
the_babaji
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
I did. Very happy with my choice so far. Have quite some things on order and others to decide on:

- GPS Mount (installed)
- Windshield Adjuster (Triumph installed)

- Heated Grips (Triumph, ordered)
- Engine Bars (Triumph, ordered)
- Hand Guards (Tiger 1050 including bar ends, ordered)
- Gel Seat (ordered - if it doesn't work out I have my standard as a base for a rework by Bill Mayer or so)
- Radiator Guard (Triumph, ordered)
- Aux Power Socket (ordered)

Have to decide on:

- Rear Rack, thinking of the AltRider with Givi mounts
- Handlebar Risers, thinking of using the XC risers
- Front / Rear Fender Extender / Hugger
- Maybe a Beak - can't decide what I like better, with or without and if with whether it's worth the money

That's all I'll do for now, then decide on side luggage later. Might just use a Giant Loop bag that I can easier transfer between bikes.
Don't forget the the AUX / FOG lights. They work wonders in widening out your zone of illumination (close in to the bike). Great for dark country roads! They should be installed at the same time you do the heated grips. As both jobs involve tearing off the tank and all the plastic bits, Not brain surgery, but I found it long and tedious having to do it twice.

Great Purchase! Enjoy!
the_babaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:57 PM   #11526
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_babaji View Post
Don't forget the the AUX / FOG lights. They work wonders in widening out your zone of illumination (close in to the bike). Great for dark country roads! They should be installed at the same time you do the heated grips. As both jobs involve tearing off the tank and all the plastic bits, Not brain surgery, but I found it long and tedious having to do it twice.
Thanks for the tip - I'll keep that in mind. Right now they are fairly low on my list as I need to sort out the most important items first. I rarely need fog lights or "more light" than the two headlights give me, therefore I'm not inclined in doing this too soon.

I might install the heated grips fairly soon and get the fog lights when I do a service. We'll see.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 AM   #11527
Mr_Chris
Get away, evil car!

Oddometer: 275
You can get em to throw in the harness and the switch now, and take your time with the lights -- you might get some other ideas about lights later (e.g. LEDs).

Btw did you check out any aftermarket exhausts?
Mr_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #11528
motonut
Old Guy

Oddometer: 62
Cargo rack

Quote:
Fellow inmate CJRacer makes a fine plate for our Tigers. I have one and love it. Good looking and functional.

Here's a link to information and photos:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=9310

Craig is great to deal with... contact him by email and he will respond to your questions... his website is here: http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/
motonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 AM   #11529
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:

I have an SW-Motech rack and the Givi adapter plate.

The rack is flat and has three quarter-turn connectors underneath.
The adapter plate attaches via the connectors and provides a Givi base when you want it. When you don't want it, remove it.

I use this to move a Givi top case between two different bikes, each with their own Alu-rack.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:07 AM   #11530
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:

CJ Designs he is in the vendor section or you can Google for the web site.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:31 AM   #11531
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,696
Quote:
I have an SW-Motech rack and the Givi adapter plate.

The rack is flat and has three quarter-turn connectors underneath.
The adapter plate attaches via the connectors and provides a Givi base when you want it. When you don't want it, remove it.

I use this to move a Givi top case between two different bikes, each with their own Alu-rack.
Do you have pics (or details of the fasteners you used) - I would like to be able to remove my Givi rack if needs be and right now that's not really possible without a major PIA.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #11532
andoulli
CAJUN

Oddometer: 2,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg View Post
I did. Very happy with my choice so far. Have quite some things on order and others to decide on:

- GPSS Mount (installed)
- Windshield Adjuster (Triumph installed)

- Heated Grips (Triumph, ordered)
- Engine Bars (Triumph, ordered)
- Hand Guards (Tiger 1050 including bar ends, ordered)
- Gel Seat (ordered - if it doesn't work out I have my standard as a base for a rework by Bill Mayer or so)
- Radiator Guard (Triumph, ordered)
- Aux Power Socket (ordered)

Have to decide on:

- Rear Rack, thinking of the Alt Rider with Give mounts
- Handlebar Risers, thinking of using the XX risers
- Front / Rear Fender Extender / Hugger
- Maybe a Beak - can't decide what I like better, with or without and if with whether it's worth the money

That's all I'll do for now, then decide on side luggage later. Might just use a Giant Loop bag that I can easier transfer between bikes.
Here is my black Roadie with beak installed, should give you an idea how she'll look.

Here is some advice on the heated grips. You may find your throttle sticks when they are on. If so, just put a thin washer between the grip and the small conical billet bar end. You won't be able to see it and it allows for grip expansion when the heating elements are working.
andoulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 AM   #11533
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Do you have pics (or details of the fasteners you used) - I would like to be able to remove my Givi rack if needs be and right now that's not really possible without a major PIA.
I do not have any at-home photos, but the product photos on this page:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6861/845/

Are pretty decent. You can click on the small photos and get a larger version; they also allow you to download the full size photos. If that's not good then let me know and I will try to take & upload some photos for you.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:49 AM   #11534
gallowaystx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Quote:
I do not have any at-home photos, but the product photos on this page:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/6861/845/

Are pretty decent. You can click on the small photos and get a larger version; they also allow you to download the full size photos. If that's not good then let me know and I will try to take & upload some photos for you.
i have the same set up and love it. will try to post pics later for you if yossarian doesn't get to it.
gallowaystx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #11535
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post
Here is my black Roadie with beak installed, should give you an idea how she'll look.

Here is some advice on the heated grips. You may find your throttle sticks when they are on. If so, just put a thin washer between the grip and the small conical billet bar end. You won't be able to see it and it allows for grip expansion when the heating elements are working.
Good looking saddle, did you get it for two up riding? The Queen seat looks more level than stock.

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote