Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2012, 05:33 PM   #31
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Like Misery Goat, and like almost all overland riders, I didn't purchase insurance for any of the Mercosur countries. I crossed between Chile and Argentina over a half-dozen times in each direction, and only once was asked for my insurance. When someone standing in line pointed out that I was just a tourist, the border guard immediately relented and sent me on my way. I worked my way through countless roadblocks in all the countries without any difficulty. I made a point--as I always do--of not getting into any accidents.

Every so often someone does get hung up entering Argentina, and sometimes it causes them a lot of trouble. Every so often someone else gets hit at roadblocks for not having insurance. It's possible that the chances of this happening are increasing. Make your own decisions based on the best information available--not on wildly exaggerated claims.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #32
moto-treks
Back Home

Oddometer: 1,744
My biggest problem at the border crossings between Chile and Argentina was figuring out how to end a conversation politely. After listening to about 15 songs on one of the guards boom boxes and being asked if I like it and what music I listen to I told him I needed to process my bike into Argentine. No problema he said as he walked me across the street to the aduanas office. That process was one of the fastest but then I had to listen to another 30 songs when I got back - all good fun

Moto-Treks
moto-treks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #33
kindberg OP
MANA

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
You can download the maps for the gps (Chile,Paraguay and Argentina) at : proyectomapear.com.ar
If there is something you need to know about Argentina, here I am.
U R awesome thank you for your HELP !!!
kindberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #34
kindberg OP
MANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
Kindberg. You will have a great trip. I can guarantee that you will run into other travelers and riding with them can add to your trip if you want. Border crossing can be helpful to have an extra person as you get hit with the hurricane of Helpers and money changers in central America. You have time to read the many ride reports that will help with logistics and all the trails of being on the road.

Be prepared that it is a learning curve and you will have lots of challenges along the way. Once you get into the traveling groove and take it all in.

If you have any specific... PM me . Am currently in Ecuador after 8 months on the road. I have put an index on the front page if you are interested in certain countries.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...0#post15950430
Radiman, Thanks a punch hopefully one of those days I run into a lot of people on this forum as I really enjoy
this crowd helping out,and yes I will check out your links. Be save !
Old 02-28-2012, 04:40 AM   #35
kindberg OP
MANA

Kindberg Pictures and started Blog

klrsouthoftheborder.blogspot.com

I am learning the Internet posting,please have passions ! Yes I am a rookie.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #36
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
Make your own decisions based on the best information available--not on wildly exaggerated claims.

Mark
I don´t know what you mean by "wildly exaggerated claims". I can tell you that the law mandates for internationally valid third party liability insurance to cross the border. Of course it is up to you to take chances that the law is not going to be enforced in your particular case. Also, Chile is not a Mercosur country.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 AM   #37
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,529
According to Wikipedia Chile is an associate member.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #38
mightymatt43
URALiNEED

Oddometer: 475
insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
To ride through Chile, Brasil, Argentina,etc you will need that the insurance company covers you in the Mercosur (Argentina, Paraguay,Chile, Brasil, Uruguay and Bolivia).
All the argentinian companies I know uses 6 month periods, may be for foreigns it's differente. If you want I can PM you the phone numbers of insurance companies here in Argentina.
Good morning -

If you could send me a number for an insurance company you know of, that would be really helpful. I think we're going to go ahead and try and get something that covers us in the Mercosur just for peace of mind. We crossed into Argentina from Chile a couple of days ago with no problems, but I don't want to get hung up somewhere for a piece of paper.

Thanks -

Matt
mightymatt43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #39
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acampao View Post
I can tell you that the law mandates for internationally valid third party liability insurance to cross the border. Of course it is up to you to take chances that the law is not going to be enforced in your particular case. Also, Chile is not a Mercosur country.
During the last year I crossed over a dozen times between Chile and Argentina with a US registered bike and was not asked for insurance. I have heard of one person getting asked at Paso Sico, but thats it. Chilean customs told me that since I was a foreigner riding a foreign moto, (not Argentinian) I did not need insurance in Chile. In addition, several Argentinian aduana officials at various borders told me I did not need insurance for Argentina if I was coming from Chile as a non-Chilean foreigner on a foreign bike.

It all depends on who you talk to at a particular border, on a particular day.

Now, when crossing from a Mercosur country into Argentina, I was asked to show insurance every time, but never coming from Chile.

crashmaster screwed with this post 03-06-2012 at 10:42 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #40
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmaster View Post
During the last year I crossed over a dozen times between Chile and Argentina with a US registered bike and was not asked for insurance. I have heard of one person getting asked at Paso Sico, but thats it. Chilean customs told me that since I was a foreigner riding a foreign moto, I did not need insurance in Chile. In addition, several Argentinian aduana officials at various borders told me I did not need insurance for Argentina if I was coming from Chile as a foreigner on a foreign bike.
+1. It's been a couple years since I was down that way, but I zigzagged over the chilean/argentine border at least 10 times and was never asked for insurance. Come to think of it, Colombia was the last place I bought insurance on my way south.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #41
gpothoven
whatever

Oddometer: 2,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead Wrangler View Post
+1. It's been a couple years since I was down that way, but I zigzagged over the chilean/argentine border at least 10 times and was never asked for insurance. Come to think of it, Colombia was the last place I bought insurance on my way south.
I remember being asked for insurance at the Villa La Angostura/Bariloche crossing, but it was available for sale there at the border at something like $15 or so as it was only liability. This was 5 years ago.
gpothoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #42
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
AMIGO,

if you have time learn some spanish. NOt mandatory nor a trip killer, but maybe it could come in handy, and not too much so you can use your gringo charm with the senoritas!!!

ANy way, Latin AMerica is not about 100% prepare for everything,. be patience and let it flow! all will happend .... one day, today tomorrow or latter.

If you come this way, let me know and we can have some cervezas and go for a ride!

For Mexico you can use the Guia Roji, paper maps that are top notch and can be bought in many 7-11 like stores.

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:01 AM   #43
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,910
Do not plan any kind of a ride other than a direct highway route with the Guia Roji. It contains an inordinate amount of errors. I have used many maps here in Mexico and the Roji are among the worst. Interestingly enough, the best maps I ever found for Mexico where in a Russian app for my smartphone. Very, very accurate, like the geological ones (thanks SR), the Soviet maps had even the oldest and most out of the way dirt roads, especially in the mountain areas.
Roji is fine for state to state travel, don't bank on it for any exploring.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #44
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
AMIGO,

if you have time learn some spanish. NOt mandatory nor a trip killer, but maybe it could come in handy, and not too much so you can use your gringo charm with the senoritas!!!

ANy way, Latin AMerica is not about 100% prepare for everything,. be patience and let it flow! all will happend .... one day, today tomorrow or latter.

If you come this way, let me know and we can have some cervezas and go for a ride!

For Mexico you can use the Guia Roji, paper maps that are top notch and can be bought in many 7-11 like stores.

Damasovi
This stupid attitude is what has earned the "gringos" such a bad reputation all accross South America.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:34 AM   #45
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Do not plan any kind of a ride other than a direct highway route with the Guia Roji. It contains an inordinate amount of errors. I have used many maps here in Mexico and the Roji are among the worst. Interestingly enough, the best maps I ever found for Mexico where in a Russian app for my smartphone. Very, very accurate, like the geological ones (thanks SR), the Soviet maps had even the oldest and most out of the way dirt roads, especially in the mountain areas.
Roji is fine for state to state travel, don't bank on it for any exploring.

MIkeMIke

Sorry if I forgot this part, I have only have done on road travels using the Guia Roji, and all of it in Baja. Do you have a link to better maps?

To the other dude, no idea what you mean, what I rode I think has no bad stuff in it, just the advice to have fun and relax, there are no time frames DOWN here, I am Mexican so I know how things can take time somethimes, and time conscious people can have a big problem with that! (I know because I have it all the time)

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote