Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Asia Pacific
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #16
Bellinghamandegg OP
Bellinghamandegg

Oddometer: 7
Thanks RadioMan, feel free to PM ... I'll help where I can.

Otherwise have great trip in May!

Better is the destroyer of good
Bellinghamandegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Aargee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Just wanted to drop a post saying, I'm from South of India; if you'd require any help, I'll be glad to help.
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 08:39 AM   #18
vulupe
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question In case you miss those times

Hi Glenn. I'm not sure if you are still around on this forum but wanted to send this picture to you both. I think you can have a fair idea where it is from ;).
I hope it will be a nice surprise . Take care.
Attached Images

vulupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:20 PM   #19
Bellinghamandegg OP
Bellinghamandegg

Oddometer: 7
Wow, that is great thanks!!, I was just in India for the month of september, and saw that picture behind Rajeesh and laughed while I sat at his desk. I went North this time, into the Himalayas ..... Epic epic trip ......

I haven't read this thread in years but your post made me go through it again out of curiosity. I still feel it's pretty solid commentary, even after a 3 year time lapse.

I hope you had a great trip, and thanks so much again, for such a thoughtful gesture. made my day.

--glenn

Better is the destroyer of good
Bellinghamandegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #20
werewasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
It's now 2 years on fr these posts so has the situation in terms of being able to rent alternatives to an Enfield changed e.g.pulsar 220.

I just hate old brit style bikes and have a mix of japanese and Euro bikes, so it's very hard to go back to riding a clunker. Only thing in favour is that if you drop one (slow speed) you won't do as much damage.

Walt Whitman
werewasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 05:17 AM   #21
vulupe
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellinghamandegg View Post
I was just in India for the month of september, and saw that picture behind Rajeesh and laughed while I sat at his desk. I went North this time, into the Himalayas

--glenn
We have nearly met - we've been in November and December 2014. I have found your chasingsouth blog while researching for a bike rental for India and it was a great helping hand . We have covered roughly the same route as you did but the other way around: took the bike by train from New Delhi to Trivandrum and than traveled all the way back to New Delhi. We've had some really crazy 45 days but all in all I'll do it again in a hear-beat .
So, I'm glad I managed to surprise you - it's well deserved since I've picked up quite some good tips from your blog ;). I'm waiting to read about the north part, which is also in the planning for us as well .
vulupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:21 PM   #22
werewasi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I don't want to ride an Enfield, although i do appreciate that they may be very robust and lots of guys can fix them . I'm just over all that old Brit stuff and never want to have to go near it again.
There's a company (Bikehire Manali) which says it has Bajaj 220s for rental
and although it would have less HP, I'd rather have the engine and lightness.

Biggest worry would be if it karked it somewhere along the 23 day ride i want to do (say 2000kms)

Has anyone had experience of one of these Bajajs or wants to give an opinion
on bike choices.

Walt Whitman
werewasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:59 AM   #23
1hp
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
What the OP described was one of the most accurate versions/impressions I have read on this forum. One thing I would add is that the extra (undue?) attention one gets on the road is not restricted to foreigners. Here's a picture of my bike. And I can assure you I look as Indian as anyone could. The attention was more to the fact that I rode an unfamiliar bike (Triumph Bonneville) and wore riding gear. However, it has been harmless even if unwanted.

Name:  Public - Copy.JPG
Views: 14
Size:  170.5 KB

werewasi,

Bajaj (the co. that manufactures Pulsar 220) has a very wide network of service center across India. It is a basic engineered machine and you will find a lot of mechanics well versed to repair them. If you don't want to ride an enfield this is a good option. A lot of people I know have done Ladakh on this motorcycle.

The enfields you get today for rent are unfortunately 5-20 year old machines and completely unrealiable. I would avoid them. The new EFI models are relatively better put together if you do really want to go the Royal Enfield way. However, the Bajaj Pulsar, Honda CBRs et all are much more reliable.

Cheers,
Sting

1hp screwed with this post 03-18-2015 at 06:07 AM
1hp is offline   Reply With Quote