ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #301
emti
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: northern n.y.
Oddometer: 227
Hello safemoto, could you plese PM me? My friend who was in the accident would like to contact you, He has contacted your website (sales) and has not had a reply. Thanks emti
emti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #302
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SaferMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Reno Nevada
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by emti View Post
Hello safemoto, could you plese PM me? My friend who was in the accident would like to contact you, He has contacted your website (sales) and has not had a reply. Thanks emti
PM sent
__________________
www.SaferMoto.com
Authorized Dealer of Hit-Air brand Airbag-equipped jackets and vests.
Special Discounted Pricing for ADVrider members use the code ADVRider1 at checkout
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #303
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SaferMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Reno Nevada
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreis View Post
Hello SaferMoto,
I'm new to this forum. This is essentially my first post, so hello to everyone and sorry for not going through the usual procedure of posting up a new thread to say "hello world".
I've joined mostly because I'm very interested in this thread and the responses SaferMoto gives.
I've looked, but haven't found, any new things you've done with the release system.

It seems to me that people who want to ride upright or people who are generally taller, have to have their tether cord very long. This would seem to delay the triggering and it does make me wonder what use it would be if you get to hit the ground first. Also, you would need some length in order to move around on the bike.

The question is : Why don't you make a self-tightening system, kinda like a seat belt works, where if you pull on it fast it blocks and in all other circumstances it allows for free extension of the cord? You can add the mechanism at the end that attaches to the bike so as to not weigh down on the rider. It would be a pretty inexpensive modification and would provide for any cord length improving at the same time the trigger time (because it would not require a certain distance from the motorcycle, as it does now).
Here is the reply from the factory

Hello Alan,

This is Shingo.

I showed the photo to Kenji and he said he already tried to make this kind of wire, but there were many problems like durability and cost.
Thank you for letting us know the idea anyway!

Best regards,

Shingo

Looks like it has been tried but did not work out. Thank you for the suggestion
__________________
www.SaferMoto.com
Authorized Dealer of Hit-Air brand Airbag-equipped jackets and vests.
Special Discounted Pricing for ADVrider members use the code ADVRider1 at checkout
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:51 PM   #304
Thinc2
Paciugo
 
Thinc2's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Seattle
Oddometer: 4,507
Thanks for the direct feedback!
__________________
Me: You should think before you speak.
Daughter: That always backfires on me.
F800GS review.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #305
andreis
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 18
Thanks for the reply. I will probably buy an airbag jacket before the new season starts and if it will be one from hit air (which is the prevailing idea for me right now), I'll certainly try to enhance it.

You could at least offer it as a separate option. Some fall arresting devices are not that expensive (ref [1]) and those are made to certain standards (ref [2]) so your Japanese partners could talk to someone who already dealt with these problems and learn from them or strike up a collaboration.

In any case, thank you for your reply & interest.

[1] - 130$ on the client side, so it must be much lower for production price
[2] - they have to withstand serious wear & tear, plus, work even if they're covered in oil or gunk and usually come equipped with a service life indicator, which shows how much longer it's going to fulfill said standards
andreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #306
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SaferMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Reno Nevada
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreis View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will probably buy an airbag jacket before the new season starts and if it will be one from hit air (which is the prevailing idea for me right now), I'll certainly try to enhance it.

You could at least offer it as a separate option. Some fall arresting devices are not that expensive (ref [1]) and those are made to certain standards (ref [2]) so your Japanese partners could talk to someone who already dealt with these problems and learn from them or strike up a collaboration.

In any case, thank you for your reply & interest.

[1] - 130$ on the client side, so it must be much lower for production price
[2] - they have to withstand serious wear & tear, plus, work even if they're covered in oil or gunk and usually come equipped with a service life indicator, which shows how much longer it's going to fulfill said standards
Even if you say a production cost of $40 that is almost a 10% increase in the overall price of the vest, not counting profit. I would imagine if you could produce a "stand alone" "upgrade" you would have to sell it in the region of $70 to make it worth while. So multiple the $70 by the number of bike some folks have, 1 client ordered 10 tethers!!!!!(yes he has 10 bikes) How many people would decide to buy the "upgrade"?
I can see where the idea is but the current K.I.S.S principle tether works well
__________________
www.SaferMoto.com
Authorized Dealer of Hit-Air brand Airbag-equipped jackets and vests.
Special Discounted Pricing for ADVrider members use the code ADVRider1 at checkout
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:39 AM   #307
andreis
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto View Post
Even if you say a production cost of $40 that is almost a 10% increase in the overall price of the vest, not counting profit. I would imagine if you could produce a "stand alone" "upgrade" you would have to sell it in the region of $70 to make it worth while. So multiple the $70 by the number of bike some folks have, 1 client ordered 10 tethers!!!!!(yes he has 10 bikes) How many people would decide to buy the "upgrade"?
I can see where the idea is but the current K.I.S.S principle tether works well
While I do agree with the KISS principle, I do not agree with the arguments that precede the statement.

1.Offering it as a separate option would imply that clients get to choose their end user price. That means it's not an increase in the base price of the vest. As a bonus, there's lots of public research available on the subject of movement arresters, so the R&D investment is minimal at worst. At best (and the way it is most likely), it is already being produced by someone.

2. The argument regarding the client having 10bikes that had to buy 10 tethers does not stand because :
a) Most of the clients only have 1-2 bikes and most likely use only one 95% of the time. Combined with point 1, this means they'll be more than able to judge for themselves and make their own maths.
b) Even for an extraordinary case such as the one you mentioned, it seems to me that someone being able to afford keeping 10 bikes is not going to trip on the 60-70$ extra payment. Plus, point 1 still applies.

You are correct in asking about the number of people interested in such a device. I haven't done the market research (and have no interest in doing it), but neither have you. Among other things, I would ask people on forums about it and then decide whether there is or not such a share of people. Of course, you'd have to present the idea in its entirety first. As in what it does for you and why it might be worth it.

In any case, Thank you for bringing the product anyways, as it is a much needed & very interesting (at least for me). I don't want you to take it this argumentative talk the wrong way. I just want to help with the development of the idea because I do believe its very much worth it.
andreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:44 PM   #308
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SaferMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Reno Nevada
Oddometer: 262
Always happy to partake in "spirited discussion" you have a strong opinion on what you feel would be an improvement to the product. It is not that I dont have any interest in doing the market research, it is that I fell there is not a PROFITABLE market for a changed tether system. Should I invest money in researching something I really dont see a market for? Unless there were a large number of postings on a variety of forums asking for another tether system. That evidence could not be denied and it would be a mistake for me to NOT follow up on it.

I like your idea but the manufacturer has said they have tried and tested a system and found it to not work as well as the present system

The vest and tether system is not perfect and I am more than happy to look at any improvements that might be suggested

Thank you and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
__________________
www.SaferMoto.com
Authorized Dealer of Hit-Air brand Airbag-equipped jackets and vests.
Special Discounted Pricing for ADVrider members use the code ADVRider1 at checkout
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:14 PM   #309
Navy Chief
Beastly Adventurer
 
Navy Chief's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 1,514
Are you still operating safermoto.com?

Went to the site an every video I attempted to watch to check out the products results in a dead youtube link..

This video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account..

No confidence inspiring when for customers considering spending hard earned cash with your business.

Also every video reference you posted in this thread is dead, if you have the videos hosted elsewhere you need to update the links so they are usable..
Navy Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #310
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SaferMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Reno Nevada
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
Are you still operating safermoto.com?

Went to the site an every video I attempted to watch to check out the products results in a dead youtube link..

This video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account..

No confidence inspiring when for customers considering spending hard earned cash with your business.

Also every video reference you posted in this thread is dead, if you have the videos hosted elsewhere you need to update the links so they are usable..
You Tube shut down the account by mistake and would not re-open it, after hours on the phone with them we gave up. All the videos that are on the main page of the www.safermoto.com site are working.

I wish I had time to go to every post I had ever made and update the links but I dont, sorry about that. If you go to www.youtube.com and type in the search window safermoto, a large number of video links come up.

If you have any questions or concerns then please let me know I would be happy to answer them
__________________
www.SaferMoto.com
Authorized Dealer of Hit-Air brand Airbag-equipped jackets and vests.
Special Discounted Pricing for ADVrider members use the code ADVRider1 at checkout
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #311
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto View Post
You Tube shut down the account by mistake and would not re-open it ...


I have not had the opportunity to "test" mine, but I'm glad I have it,
If nothing else, I have a snappy come-back to those off-hand "motorcycles are dangerous" comments!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM   #312
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SaferMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Reno Nevada
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post


I have not had the opportunity to "test" mine, but I'm glad I have it,
If nothing else, I have a snappy come-back to those off-hand "motorcycles are dangerous" comments!
I would rather you dont test it in anger!!! But it is a fun way to spend $22 to set it off for your friends
__________________
www.SaferMoto.com
Authorized Dealer of Hit-Air brand Airbag-equipped jackets and vests.
Special Discounted Pricing for ADVrider members use the code ADVRider1 at checkout
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #313
DFWBo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DFWBo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: DFW
Oddometer: 269
on another thread....

Someone did post about his "test" and had very good things to say about the resulting performance....I hope I never have to test mine.

It seems if the people asking the questions about a modified tethering system truly believe it is viable, they may want to think about building a few prototypes, test them, and then begin selling them. Many people make a living on building a better mouse trap.
DFWBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #314
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 4,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaferMoto View Post
I would rather you dont test it in anger!!! But it is a fun way to spend $22 to set it off for your friends
I expect that will happen some warm summer night after the garage-fridge's load of beer has been considerably lightened and someone spys the vest hanging on the wall ....

Lucky you sold me the extra cartridge!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #315
SaferMoto
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SaferMoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Reno Nevada
Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I expect that will happen some warm summer night after the garage-fridge's load of beer has been considerably lightened and someone spys the vest hanging on the wall ....

Lucky you sold me the extra cartridge!
Keep your fridge full and your CO2 handy
__________________
www.SaferMoto.com
Authorized Dealer of Hit-Air brand Airbag-equipped jackets and vests.
Special Discounted Pricing for ADVrider members use the code ADVRider1 at checkout
SaferMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014