Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 57 votes, 4.44 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 AM   #23401
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Question about fixing flats with patches. Are patches considered a permanent fix, or just a temporary one until you can swap out the inner tube?
If it holds, it's permanent. If not, it's temporary.

On tubless, the main advantages are the ability to run lower pressures, and their ability to self seal minor punctures. Less weight is just a minor detail.
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #23402
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbocelica View Post
I have seen those. I need to look into how wide the Alex Rims are??? I've never heard of Alex rims before. There are sets with the Weinmann DP18 & DA16 rims but they are both very narrow. I'd like to go a bit wider to be able to try a 45mm-ish tire. I was also leaning towards the red anodized hubs.

That first link to me looks like the rims in the pictures might be the DA16 rims although the page doesn't mention them? Maybe my next step will be to call Velo-Mine.
Alex rims are very popular, in the OEM world.

Yep. Give 'em a call. I'm in there, all the time. They can build anything you want and a lot of their inventory is not listed online. They have over 500 wheelsets.

Quote:
What's the scoop on these? Apparently lots of off-road riders are using them. Why are they, and what do you do if you have a puncture?

In FL, you'll want to go tubeless. My GF and I, both, picked up tons of thorns. Hell, I didn't know Florida had cacti.....stupid me. At the end of everyday, I pulled thorns. I can't imagine running tubes, down there. Be sure to keep a tube, in your kit, for the catastrophic tire failure (torn sidewall, blowout, etc).

I have had good luck with the Stan's tubeless kit. Make sure to clean the rim surface with alcohol, before installing the rim strip. Also, I put a dab of silicone, around the base of the stem before installing it. So far, no leaks, on two bikes. Your Trek is tubeless ready, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, don't do it for weight savings, faster rollup, lower psi, or anything else performance related. Do it so you're not constantly flatting.
ducnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:12 AM   #23403
Wadester
Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer: 1,708
Some comments on bicycle tubeless:

1) It is not about saving weight, it's about performance. However, here in the southwestern desert where everything has thorns - the tubed solution was a thornproof tube with sealant. Compared to that, tubeless IS a weight saving. Your rolling resistance drops waaaaay down. Tubeless at 25psi rolls noticeably better than thornproofs at 50psi. It also rolls noticeably better than regular tubes at 50psi. Traction also improves because the tire conforms to the surface better at whatever pressure you like.

2) Many ways to go tubeless. But not all components play well. Some tires/rims don't work with each other. Notubes/Stan's rims work better than most others. UST rims work best with UST tires, but are pricey. Ghetto/split tube is cheap and works well on most setups.

3) It's gonna be fiddley. You'll have to mess with something at some point in the process, and if you don't have patience you'll hate it. If you're an experimenter it'll be ok.

PS: Notubes/Stan's sealant works ok. There are others on the market that also work ok. Making your own is cheaper and longer lasting - as well as potentially better at sealing. See final comment on #3.

'Being an adult is so much better when you forget that you're supposed to be boring' (D.Corsetto, 9/7/12)
Wadester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #23404
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
In FL, you'll want to go tubeless. My GF and I, both, picked up tons of thorns. Hell, I didn't know Florida had cacti.....stupid me. At the end of everyday, I pulled thorns. I can't imagine running tubes, down there. Be sure to keep a tube, in your kit, for the catastrophic tire failure (torn sidewall, blowout, etc).

I have had good luck with the Stan's tubeless kit. Make sure to clean the rim surface with alcohol, before installing the rim strip. Also, I put a dab of silicone, around the base of the stem before installing it. So far, no leaks, on two bikes. Your Trek is tubeless ready, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Also, don't do it for weight savings, faster rollup, lower psi, or anything else performance related. Do it so you're not constantly flatting.
Cactuses? Can't recall ever having seen one of those here. I thought the only risks I'd be facing are poisonous snakes and gators.

A few more questions:

Should the distance from the seat to the pedals be the same as it is on my road bike? I've noticed that a lot of mountain bikers stand on the pedals in the videos, so perhaps the seat should be lower?

Pedaling cadence: should I aim for 80-100 rpm, like on a road bike?

I assume it's possible to get lost if the trail isn't clearly marked. I was thinking of taking along a wrist worn GPS left over from my kayaking days, but I don't know whether the tree cover will block reception. Anyone using these?

Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM   #23405
Gaston Gagne
Past Easy

Oddometer: 1,760
I don't understand the low pressure business with tubeless at all. OK, I get the squishier ride part. I just switched, and all of my pals that were already running tubeless said that I could now run as low as 20 psi. I tried 25. It feels like 25 psi with a tube. The tire rolls over to the side under moderate turning pressure. It slides down off camber surfaces. I bottomed the rim out. I'm running 40 psi again, and I love it. I don't know if it's less weight or what, but my bike rolls much better.

I will second the Stan's Rims with yellow tape and Stan's juice. I had some difficulty seating the bead with one of the tires, but with a bit of lube (Duh!), it snapped right into place. I had to pump them up twice, and since then I haven't had to touch them. Time will tell.

On my 26 inch bike, I reamed the presta holes out and ran schraeder with Stan's in it. I just took that bike out for the first time in 10 months and didn't even need to pump up the tires.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #23406
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cactuses? Can't recall ever having seen one of those here.
You gotta' get off the asphalt to see them.

Quote:
Should the distance from the seat to the pedals be the same as it is on my road bike? I've noticed that a lot of mountain bikers stand on the pedals in the videos, so perhaps the seat should be lower?
It's whatever feels best to you. Take the appropriate wrench (should have a multi-tool with you, anyway) and adjust on the trail. I find lower to feel better.

Quote:
Pedaling cadence: should I aim for 80-100 rpm, like on a road bike?
Don't worry about cadence, worry about where you're going.

Quote:
I assume it's possible to get lost if the trail isn't clearly marked. I was thinking of taking along a wrist worn GPS left over from my kayaking days, but I don't know whether the tree cover will block reception. Anyone using these?
My Garmin picked up, even with the tree cover. It's got to be a pretty thick canopy for it to not track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
I don't understand the low pressure business with tubeless at all. OK, I get the squishier ride part. I just switched, and all of my pals that were already running tubeless said that I could now run as low as 20 psi. I tried 25. It feels like 25 psi with a tube. The tire rolls over to the side under moderate turning pressure. It slides down off camber surfaces. I bottomed the rim out. I'm running 40 psi again, and I love it.
You can run lower pressure without the worry of pinch-flatting a tube.

Any lower than ~25psi (tubeless) and the tire feels too soft and I can feel the rim bottoming. I do know that I have a lot more traction at 25-30psi than at 40psi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaston Gagne View Post
I don't know if it's less weight or what, but my bike rolls much better.
It rolls better because you're removing one more layer of rubber that has to flex and eliminating the friction of flexing between the tube and tire.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #23407
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
I guess that settles it then. I don't race and can fix a flat pretty easily in the field, so for the little weight savings tubeless tires provide, it's probably not worth the hassle.

Question about fixing flats with patches. Are patches considered a permanent fix, or just a temporary one until you can swap out the inner tube?

I've yet to lose a Park patch, but have a 3 patch rule. If I've just put number 3 in there, it gets swapped ASAP.

I keep a good supply of Park GP2 glueless patches on hand. In almost 20 years of mountain biking, I haven't had one fail. And they're soooooooo easy to put on. They're itty bitty too and the glue's already on, so there's no mess. They also come with a little slice of sandpaper and a plastic box it all goes in. It's all about the size of a postage stamp, only thicker.

rob feature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #23408
k7
Ancien cyclist

Oddometer: 17,839
Well, as I've proven, any fool can apply for an event

One thing about brevets is that it's addicting. I've done two (TWO) events and loved them. Seriously - you have no idea how much fun it can be for me. I don't know if it's the constant monitoring of my intake, the constant route checking, the anticipation of the next control or just a long (somewhat) relaxing ride with my riding buddy. The next one is a 400-km event this Saturday SaturdaySaturday. Would you believe that we have almost 30 people signed up for this next event?

If I survive that one, the next event is 600-km in April. A 600-km event has a 40-hour limit which means we can hopefully catch a few hours' sleep that night.

As I was poking around the webs yesterday, someone posted a note about signing up for the Colorado Last Chance 1200-km brevet. I was vaguely aware of it but didn't know anything specific other than it's in Colorado. duh

This brevet is 1200-km/750 miles in 90 hours which is 3.75 days. The event isn't full yet but it will fill up. It's not the toughest ride either unless you consider 750 miles in less than 4 days to be a killer. I do but what the hell? It starts in Boulder and is an out-and-back heading east into Kansas.

I sent a note to my riding partner and he's all in - took him 5 minutes to respond. He clearly has more confidence than me. I talked to the wife about it and she's 100% supportive. We've both registered, paid the fees and while our names aren't on the list yet, I'm confident that we'll both have slots.

To qualify and complete the registration, we have to complete the 400 and 600 rides. Then, I suspect we'll tackle another 600 in June just to gain more experience OR complete the process if either of us DNF the April event.

Link

Wish me luck - I could die.
k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #23409
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Wish me luck - I could die.
Nah. You got it.

Having a riding partner who's pretty equal goes a long way toward your success.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #23410
rob feature
Domain Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post

This brevet is 1200-km/750 miles in 90 hours which is 3.75 days.

Y'all roadies are crazy

Old 03-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #23411
beeks76
Your What Hurts???

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
I haz trophy.

http://www.rjcyclotron.com/

(Only my third one after almost 6 years of bike racing!)
Congratulations! I bet there were at least a few keweenaw brewing beverages consumed right after that picture was taken!

Looks like I won't make it up to ski this year, but maybe we can put a bike ride together this summer, I will try to keep up to you! I know I would like to make it back up to copper harbor, those trails are epic!
beeks76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #23412
ducnut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Cactuses? Can't recall ever having seen one of those here.
Quote:
You gotta' get off the asphalt to see them.
Found a pic of one of the many groups we saw.

Old 03-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #23413
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 21,618
Quote:
Found a pic of one of the many groups we saw.

Weird. Where was that taken?
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #23414
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Weird. Where was that taken?
Prickly Pear.

Could have even been Michigan....
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #23415
rob feature
Domain Ranger

We have these lovelies to deal with

They don't look so bad on the surface. But they have a defense mechanism - and it seems it's specifically tailored to bicycle tires.

I pulled 42 of these out of one tire

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: