Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 AM   #5026
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKohler883 View Post
Local dealer can get you a reflector. looks like it lists for about $11.50 .... no cheap, but probably still cheaper than trying find on ebay, and pay the cost to ship. Most people take them off. Mine doesn't have any.

Great idea, thanks!
psu75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #5027
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by psu75 View Post
Yeah, the mounting kit it came with didn't line up with the rack over the rear fender at all so I said @#$% it and just bolted it directly to the fender. Believe it or not, it's really quite sturdy! I wouldn't take it off road on any seriously bumpy rides but for touring, it works just fine!
Mine is anchored the same way. The big thing is just to use a pair of nice fender washers on each side to help eliminate tear-out, but I haven't had any problems with mine. I actually had the mounting plate for the rack break in a wreck and it didn't pull out of the fender.

I've got an extra reflector from a box of parts I picked up to rebuild mine. PM me your address and I'll send it out ASAP.
godwinmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:37 AM   #5028
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwinmt View Post
Mine is anchored the same way. The big thing is just to use a pair of nice fender washers on each side to help eliminate tear-out, but I haven't had any problems with mine. I actually had the mounting plate for the rack break in a wreck and it didn't pull out of the fender.

I've got an extra reflector from a box of parts I picked up to rebuild mine. PM me your address and I'll send it out ASAP.

Thanks!!! Sent!

The mounting kit it came with came with some really nice washers but I may see about finding some larger ones just to be on the safe side...
Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #5029
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Tire mounting cost

Man, I think the guys at the local motorcycle shop tried to rake me over the coals today. I went in to get a price on mounting some tires and when I asked if I could bring in some tires to be mounted, of course I got the usual gruff about "oh, we would rather you bought the tires here and had them mounted here"... So I said okay, give me a cost on it all.

So for the Shinkos, stock size, a price for the front and back tires was $96. Mounting for both tires was $100. I'm going to have to call BULLSH*T on the mounting cost.

Does that sound right to you guys?

$100 to mount two tires on a motorcycle???
Old 03-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #5030
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,000
Quote:
Man, I think the guys at the local motorcycle shop tried to rake me over the coals today. I went in to get a price on mounting some tires and when I asked if I could bring in some tires to be mounted, of course I got the usual gruff about "oh, we would rather you bought the tires here and had them mounted here"... So I said okay, give me a cost on it all.

So for the Shinkos, stock size, a price for the front and back tires was $96. Mounting for both tires was $100. I'm going to have to call BULLSH*T on the mounting cost.

Does that sound right to you guys?

$100 to mount two tires on a motorcycle???
Those mounting prices are completely out of line. Walk, no, run away from that place. The tire prices are on the high end for a Shinko, but asking that money to mount them is sheer robbery.

You should really find some help and learn to mount them yourself.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #5031
AKohler883
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
i tried to mount mine myself .... but had no luck, so I took my wheels off, and took them to a local shop.
they charged me $20 per wheel, plus one needed a tube for $13.
If they have to take the wheels off your bike, they will most likely charge you by the hour as well.
look for a small shop, dont go to a big megastore, they have too much overhead to cover.

and yes, they are screwing you on the price of the tires. if we can get them for $30 some dollars online, they are getting them even cheaper from their distributor.
I agree Run ...
AKohler883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #5032
psu75
Carpe Diemer

tire mounting prices

Yeah, I felt like I needed to bend over for them in that shop... Bunch of crooked creeps. Yes, I am a female but I have enough sense to know that they were trying to rip me off.

I found the tires for about $65 for both online. That part I have covered. All I really need help with is getting them mounted. Do I really need to get them balanced? It that really necessary?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #5033
psu75
Carpe Diemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
You should really find some help and learn to mount them yourself.
I would love to find someone to teach me how to mount tires - I think this would be some incredibly valuable knowledge to have out in the field on my rides...but alas...no one I know knows how to do this...
Old 03-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #5034
godwinmt
They call me Crash

Oddometer: 509
It's pretty straight forward to do. Neduro made a nice writeup on it all here

It's one of those things thats easiest to learn by doing, and the little DR is about the easiest thing there is to change a tire on. Just get the bike up in the air, drop the wheels, throw some cardboard down in the living room, and go to town!
godwinmt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #5035
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
I would love to find someone to teach me how to mount tires - I think this would be some incredibly valuable knowledge to have out in the field on my rides...but alas...no one I know knows how to do this...
If you gave a shout out in regionals, I bet you'd find somebody.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #5036
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Quote:
Do I really need to get them balanced? It that really necessary?

Definitely not necessary if you're doing a lot of trail riding. Maybe necessary if you're putting on a lot of highway miles. They don't have to be perfect...just roughly balanced.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #5037
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
I just lubed my chain. With regards to the rear brake pedal when making a click or knock when pressed while moving-I checked the the nut on the rear of the torsion bar and you guys were right, it was very loose so I tightened it up. The bolt obviously wasn't tightened properly when I had the rear tire changed, another reason to learn how to change the tire myself.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #5038
thesurvivalist
Backcountry Rider

Oddometer: 526
What seat pads are available on the dr200? I do not want another coleman atv/walmart seat pad, even though they are comfy, I found it extremely dangerous I found when I braked as the cordura pants material would make my slide to the very front of the seat.
Buell Ulysses Xb12X
Custom Leather Work-Made In England www.lordofleather.com
thesurvivalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #5039
Klay
dreaming adventurer

I don't know about seat covers, but if you send your seat in to Seat Concepts, they'll put an awful nice seat on the old pan.

It's on my wife's 200. She likes the milk crate.

My 200, with fresh tires, chain, and sprockets.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #5040
Wallrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 472
I just took the wheels in for new rubber today. $5 for them to mount em if you buy the tires there, $15 if you bring in your own tire. I only got a front D606 so far since the most aggressive rears they had that were close to the stock diameter were 50/50's. Gonna go to another shop and check out some trials tires tomorrow - hopefully find something with a shorter sidewall.

I've done my own tire changes, and there's vids on how to do it on youtube, but for $5, I'll let somebody else do it.
Wallrat is offline   Reply With Quote