Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #631
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer: 662
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsD2 View Post
In that case, you don't need that nice new Seat Concepts seat.......the only people I know who take a piss more often than you is pregnant women........
Yeah, i was waiting for the come back, well done my friend. After a heavy night before and drinking water like a fish, the need pee-pee comes about every 30 minutes.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #632
Eocnelg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Sorry if this is off topic (my eyes started hurting after 10 pages of reading).

I'm just getting into the Wonderful World Of Bikes and I was hoping to make some friends in the South East, maybe even some Mexicans if they bathe regularly :p

I don't have a licence or a bike yet, complete newb here, so I was hoping to meet some gentle men or women who could help a distressing damsel when she does get her wheels. Or just meet some cool people who can put up with inappropriate jokes and a faint smell of cow droppings.

My partner works away for weeks at a time and when he is home he's busy, so I'm willing to pay in beer and home-made beef jerky for someone to hold my hand through the pines
Eocnelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #633
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,272
welcome

Hi Eocnelg,

Welcome to dirt bike riding and our area. The beautiful Green Triangle. Wet one day, windy the next!

I will have to ask you a couple of personal questions. One how tall are you? and ; How much riding have you done?

The important thing in my mind is to start with a small bike that will not overpower you with its weight or power. Get your confidence in easy riding and then start to tackle more difficult terrain.

The Pine plantations between Mt Gambier and Millicent are a bit boring, but the terrain between Nelson and Portland is a bit more interesting.

I will probably start riding again soon after an injury induced layoff. I have a mate's Suzuki DRZ250 in my shed that you could try (it is for sale). IMHO this bike is ideal to learn on and would suit a lady rider. So if we can get a suitable date I would be pleased to tag along at a slow rate to regain my confidence and assist you get started.

Do you have any riding gear yet? Helmet? boots? Gloves? safety glasses? (minimum requirement)

P.S. I am an ex-patriot S.A. resident and I do wash!
XRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #634
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 1,270
Talking

I knew there was something unusual about you XR, although you obviously were an over-achieving crow-eater as you jumped the fence.

Welcome Eocnelg.....that's hard to type backwards.......I agree with XR on that bike being a great beginner and/or short person's bike (If that's what you need)......I am considering one for my bride when my situation improves slightly.

I think we are planning a get together at XR's on 15/4 for a GPS/PC geek session, some tool-time if needed, and general meet and greet for those who haven't.

It was always going to happen at some stage that we were going to have to improve our behaviour if 'another' female came on the scene; we only have Slowpoak (who appears to be pregnant now)

Gags
Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 PM   #635
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hah very funny gagsD2

I kept going East until I found some "real" forest and then settled down. I heard the joke that " South Australians were proof that Tasmanians could swim" I even have the scar on my shoulder from the 2nd head amputation!
In reality it was a clavicle repair surgery, but never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.

So Glencoe spelt backwards! Good work GagsD2 aka Sherlock.

I spent many a happy hour on Lake Leake in winter trying to learn how to sail. Cold but happy. A mate bought a high powered sailing skiff and we used the lake to learn how to hoist and retrieve a spinakker sail. Lake Leake was not quite long or deep enough and the centreboard hit the mud, with a rather quick stop and tip over effect!!! Rope and sails everywhere.

My stable of bikes will be available for perusal on the 15th April Geek Fest for the GPS challenged. My "Wife damands shed clearance sale" ususally fades after Karen simmers down post- crash, but last time was the first chopper ride to Melbourne. So I might have to part with a few bikes to appease "She; who might be obeyed".

A few hours on my Yamaha 290 would certianly fix your sand riding issues GagsD2, but you might want to trade the DR for something with real suspension after the session. Team orange perhaps.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #636
Slowpoak
Riding the buck-shot

Oddometer: 662
Bluhduh

Quote:
It was always going to happen at some stage that we were going to have to improve our behaviour if 'another' female came on the scene; we only have Slowpoak (who appears to be pregnant now)

Gags
Settle down there, 'sunshine', leave my belly out of this. You seem to be proving your worth with the keyboard this week 'Andy'.
Old 03-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #637
Old fart
Keen AG100 rider

Oddometer: 640
Hideehodee folks, new one for your "Green Triangle" mob. I hail from the fine metropolis of Casterton, known for brown dogs and Art Deco buildings amoung other things. I have a few old bomb bikes, the only one I have registered now is an XT500. Not much compared to your skyscraper orange things but suits my slow and steady riding pace fine. With the amount of wildlife round now I tend to just poke around. Geddin old tends to slow you up a bit and your riding style tends to reflect that. These days a good ride for me would be a cruise down to Bridgewater for some nice fushunchups or maybe a ride over to the Mac park old fart races? With the original capacity tank I only have a range of mebe 100K's before I start looking for fuel, might hafta chase up something a bit bigger. The pine and bluegum plantations are pretty good for looking around these long afternoons. There is some more challenging stuff around, I'm just getting to know the area, like riding the bike, I'm still learning.
Intersted in some general rides with folks, I'm commited for the next few weeks but after that I'm keen.
Old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:54 PM   #638
Eocnelg
Adventurer

Talking

Egads that's some fine detective work there! Foiled on my first day! Serves me right for being lazy with my username :P

XR I'm 165cm (6'4? 6'5?), 80ish kg and I've had about about 4 goes on an old red thing about 10 years ago. I'm after a duel purpose/enduro type bike I can ride to work on and also do some dirt/limestone. Boring is more than fine right now, I want to hold back and learn properly before I get overconfident. The fella is going to buy a mates 525 EXC, and his brother has a 450 EXC but neither of them want to pay for a funeral just yet.

I'm working on the gear, my test isn't booked till April 15 and 22 so I get to learn in the cold and wet. I'm expecting to take a few topples on slippery roads so I'm keeping an eye out for specials on decent gear because I'm a cheap-arse and don't want to pay full $.

Gags, I grew up in a mining town and I've worked at a remote mining camp, behaviour improvement is completely optional!
Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 PM   #639
XRman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Welcome OF

Welcome Old Fart.

I rode one of those XT500's once. Scarey! That was when Yamaha made bikes that turned like Husqvarnas ( they didn't)

Eocnelg you had better come over to Portland for the nerd Fest GPS day (15thapril noon for a BBQ) and we can probably all bring our spare/old gear to equip you on the cheap. We can have a swap meet!

My wife won't be there so it won't be "one of those" swap meets (come clothed Slow).
Old 03-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #640
Eocnelg
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRman View Post
Eocnelg you had better come over to Portland for the nerd Fest GPS day (15thapril noon for a BBQ) and we can probably all bring our spare/old gear to equip you on the cheap. We can have a swap meet!
That'd be sweet but that's when I have my first lesson booked in :( I may only be a baby to biking but I love me a good nerd fest!
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #641
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old fart View Post
Hideehodee folks, new one for your "Green Triangle" mob. I hail from the fine metropolis of Casterton, known for brown dogs and Art Deco buildings amoung other things. I have a few old bomb bikes, the only one I have registered now is an XT500. Not much compared to your skyscraper orange things but suits my slow and steady riding pace fine. With the amount of wildlife round now I tend to just poke around. Geddin old tends to slow you up a bit and your riding style tends to reflect that. These days a good ride for me would be a cruise down to Bridgewater for some nice fushunchups or maybe a ride over to the Mac park old fart races? With the original capacity tank I only have a range of mebe 100K's before I start looking for fuel, might hafta chase up something a bit bigger. The pine and bluegum plantations are pretty good for looking around these long afternoons. There is some more challenging stuff around, I'm just getting to know the area, like riding the bike, I'm still learning.
Intersted in some general rides with folks, I'm commited for the next few weeks but after that I'm keen.
Welcome OF
Nothing wrong with getting old, aren't we all? , and we only really go as fast as the slowest rider.......that would be Mier Moto on sand!! Slow and I were over your way on Monday and had a ball but yes you are going to need a substantially better fuel range than that! If you read between all the BS we sprout, there might be the occasional ride to join in on........some of us can ride mid-week and hopefully we can get a bigger weekend ride happening soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eocnelg View Post
Gags, I grew up in a mining town and I've worked at a remote mining camp, behaviour improvement is completely optional!
Oh ok....well maybe you might have to behave instead of us then.

I have a jacket that may be of use to you.....it needs a new main zip but a slab of my favourite amber liquid might pursuade me to part with it if the sizing is right. It fit me in my younger, slimmer, fitter days!!
Old 03-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #642
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Question Cancer Ride

Ok....time to put the hard word on you all!!

It seems there may be a number of us who are interested in taking part in this years Cancer Ride from Bacchus Marsh back to Hamilton. This is happening on the weekend of 31/3 - 1/4..........no April Fools allowed!!!

Please quote and add your name if coming with us!

The plan is to travel down on the Friday night although we will need to try and find somewhere to stay. Maybe we could just prop for the night in Ballarat at a caravan park then slab down the highway to Bacchus Marsh for the 0900 meeting. Bring some money for a donation and I believe there will be lots of on Saturday night at Mt Cole (Chinaman's camp) Follow my link in signature line.

Yes, I will be coming:

Gags
Old 03-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #643
jugglingogre
Under the thumb

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Ok....time to put the hard word on you all!!

It seems there may be a number of us who are interested in taking part in this years Cancer Ride from Bacchus Marsh back to Hamilton. This is happening on the weekend of 31/3 - 1/4..........no April Fools allowed!!!

Please quote and add your name if coming with us!

The plan is to travel down on the Friday night although we will need to try and find somewhere to stay. Maybe we could just prop for the night in Ballarat at a caravan park then slab down the highway to Bacchus Marsh for the 0900 meeting. Bring some money for a donation and I believe there will be lots of on Saturday night at Mt Cole (Chinaman's camp) Follow my link in signature line.

Yes, I will be coming:

Gags
I was wanting to come along on this ride but cant as I have tickets to the John Williamson concert at the Hamilton PAC on the evening of the 31st. Timing is against us in this case.

I'd be happy to help get the spanner across the border from Hamilton where the ride finishes on the 1st.

Cheers

Pete
Old 03-07-2012, 11:16 PM   #644
GagsD2
...Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugglingogre View Post
I was wanting to come along on this ride but cant as I have tickets to the John Williamson concert at the Hamilton PAC on the evening of the 31st. Timing is against us in this case.

I'd be happy to help get the spanner across the border from Hamilton where the ride finishes on the 1st.

Cheers

Pete
Thanks Pete, I am not sure what is in place for getting it into SA at this stage.....I am hoping that a couple of our SA GTR folk can do something for us. Will let you know!
Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #645
Eocnelg
Adventurer

Quote:
Oh ok....well maybe you might have to behave instead of us then.

I have a jacket that may be of use to you.....it needs a new main zip but a slab of my favourite amber liquid might pursuade me to part with it if the sizing is right. It fit me in my younger, slimmer, fitter days!!
My name is Amber if that counts but that'd be sweet, thanks for the offer, what do you drink?

Also Wed/Thurs is my weekend.