Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2012, 01:10 PM   #1
svejkovat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Anybody get phone and internet simple and cheap? What's your story?

Any of you who have dropped your landline and saved? Usually it's a break even, but I'd like the convenience of being able to leave the house with a cell phone. Never owned one before. What I'd really like to know is if anyone connects to the web via their mobile web service.

I live in west Michigan and pay about 130 dollars for unlimited long distance landline phone, cable internet, and HD cable television (with pretty much no on demand content to speak of unless I opt for more expensive packages). 80 percent of the television content is unmitigated crap and filler. And the extra remote (there are three of them now to control the blu-ray player, television, and cable box) and Charter GUI is a nightmare of bizarrely unintuitive hurdles.

That price is a bargain compared to a lot of monthly bills I hear about. But I'm a pretty boring guy and really, really, miss simplicity.

I don't watch a lot of television but it's a 50" plasma and I definitely like HDTV occasional sports and quality movies when I watch them. I have the 7.99 netflix package which serves me ok.

I don't own a cell phone and have no real interest in learning how to text message or send photos via phone. I never use more than (guessing) 400 minutes a month of phone service on my landline.

www.tvfool.com OTA signal calculator indicates that I'm a very good candidate for getting all major HD OTA broadcasts as well as public television out of the Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo area. I just ordered a 50 dollar AntennaCraft (after lots of research) antenna from Amazon. Gonna put it 10 above my roofline and paint it to blend in with the trees. I should (I'll let you know in a week if anyone is interested) get 10 to 13 channels, about 6 of them HD, reliably. I program these into my favorites via remote. I'm back to surfing 12 channels. Bliss. I connect a powerful HP workstation PC to the television via a 25ft (under floor) HDMI already, so I'm discovering a whole world of interesting documentaries, public domain films, etc.

Cutting TV service saves sixty dollars each month on my Charter bill. That leaves me 70 dollars per month to find cell phone service with a reasonably fast (even 500 to 1000K is fine) internet access via laptop usb connection to the phone's mini usb. Not all phones allow this. Not all plans provide it. The guy at Best Buy yesterday claimed he didn't know what I was talking about and never heard of USB connecting a PC to the web via cell phone. Google suggests otherwise.

This is equal parts being a cheap bastard, wanting to simplify my life, and appreciating the convenience of having a mobile phone to carry with me for emergencies.

Anyone have experience here?

svejkovat screwed with this post 03-07-2012 at 01:26 PM
svejkovat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: