Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #91
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
The corral and pictures remind me of the TV show "High Chapparal". My wife and I have ridden Big Bend NP, but have not been to BBRSP. We may have to try some of that. Thanks for the tour.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #92
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Yeah! Another CannonRide! I've been too busy lately to stay up to date with RRs. I check back in to find I've fallen behind another Cannonshot lesson by 6 pages.
Hi Dave! Thanks for checking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
The corral and pictures remind me of the TV show "High Chapparal". My wife and I have ridden Big Bend NP, but have not been to BBRSP. We may have to try some of that. Thanks for the tour.
I really liked BBRSP so I decided to stay an extra night. I that think there are 2 - 3 days riding on the roads and primitive roads in the park.

There was a DS group there for a four day weekend (probably 2.5 days riding) when I arrived.

In my opinion there is a greater quantity of more challenging paths in BBRSP than there is in the BBNP. But I wouldn't say one location is better than the other as they each have their own attraction.

I really liked the bunkhouse set-up. For a while it was just a guy photographing plants and I staying there. Very quiet, very comfortable, very convenient.

I have another loop in BBRSP that I will cover and a long loop that I rode while I was based in BBRSP that runs along the Rio Grande going west and comes back via Pinto Canyon.

Counting the 319 mile Chispa-Pinto route outside the park that I will cover next, one could easily fill three full days of riding based out of BBRSP.

I'm sure there are others that have more experience there than I do that could offer some insight further down the line as well.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 09:14 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #93
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Chisa Pinto Loop

Chisa-Pinto Loop. If you start in Presidio it is a 250 mile run. If you ride out of Sauceda in BBRSP it is about 320.

Heading back out of the park toward Presidio.

Looking toward Presidio and Ojinaga, Mexico.

As I mentioned, at one time Presidio was a tiny trading center. Shafter, the mining town to the north was much more substantial. Back in the day, we had customs inspectors mounted on horses that would ride the border and collect taxes on the huge herds of cattle being driven into the country (import). Often these collections were cash (silver) and involved big bucks.

One agent, Townsend, was based in Presidio. When he collected customs money he had to get it to the government mailbag that was carried on the stagecoach in Shafter. Bandits knew when the stage came to Shafter and they knew that the customs agent had collected about $7K in taxes recently (a huge sum) so they planned to ambush him and steal the money.

These mounted customs agents had some courage. Townsend decided to load his horse as he normally does for a routine patrol and then leisurely strolled out of town in a different direction as if he was heading out on a routine patrol for which he would have not been carrying the money. Once he got clear, he hauled ass for Shafter and delivered the money thus saving himself a hi-jack and perhaps even his life.

The Presidio area has some of the oldest modern history around the region.

Mexican cattle sometimes wander across the river. More on that problem later on.

Heading from Presidio toward Candelaria on pavement. There are dirt paths next to the road that the border patrol drags to erase tracks so they can check for fresh footprints later on. Lots of border patrol around here.

Ruidosa. Not much here.

The very scenic and entertaining Pinto Canyon run goes from here toward Marfa.

We'll ride that from Marfa back to here later in the loop.

It looks like this at the turn off.

Not much in Ruidosa.

I hope it is front wheel drive. Half off, quite a bargain.

I would guess that the Ruidosa Cantina started to go under about the time the border tightened up a few years back. The casual rural local cross border traffic probably slowed down.

Looks like someone is slowly working on an adobe building.

Maybe a church?

Looks like adobe bricks produced on site.

Left out in the rain?

Candelaria. Not much here anymore either.

There have been some farms in the river bottoms over the years. A guy named Russell used local labor to raise grain on the bottoms and then sold it to Army forts in the area.

Back when we had border trouble after WWI, the Army used to fly air patrols along the border.

Navigation wasn't so good. Neither were airplanes. A couple of pilots burned up some bearings (after losing ther navigation bearings) and set their plane down in Mexico in this area thinking they were on the American side of the Rio Grande. Wrong river. They got captured in Mexico by a gang member named Renteria and his boys.

Candelaria

Renteria was a horse thief and robber that sat on a guy during the Brite Ranch raid while one of his fellow bandits cut the guy's throat with a pen knife.

San Antonio de Bravo (Mexico) across the river.

Anyway, the bandits send a message to the store keeper in Candelaria that they wanted $15,000 for the two US pilots by a certain time or they would be killed. Long story short is that the local ranchers loved the air patrol because of the protection they got so they raised the money right away. They had to do a swap for the pilots one at a time for half the money at a time using an intermediary. After the first swap, the intermediary overheard the bandits say they planned to kill them anyway so he drew down on the bandits and he and the pilot grabbed horses and rode back to the US by a different route to avoid the ambush. This saved the ranchers half their money. I guess they gave $1K to the intermediary for his work.

Once everyone was safe and sound the Army went into Mexico after Renteria and his men. Planes were used to search ahead of the troops and drop messages to guide the pursuers. A plane got shot at by Ruidosa so it turned and attacked with machine guns picking off Renteria, his white horse, and probably some of his pals. Some other bandits that surrendered to the Army, even though they weren't part of Renteria's outfit, were turned over to civilian scouts who took them into a canyon and shot them.

By the way, one pilot not related to this incident said that when he was patrolling for bandits he had a hard time distinguishing between good-guys and bad-guys when he saw groups of riders on the ground. He said one method to find out was to shoot a few rounds from his machine gun in their direction. If they rode off into the brush they were cowboys, if they shot back they were bandits.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 09:30 PM
Old 03-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #94
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,393
Interesting action.
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:11 PM   #95
K_N_Fodder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 937
Too cool, very unexpected to see some of my old buddies in your pictures :) You managed to run into at least two of the best dual sporters from Austin you could ever meet.

Justin

K_N_Fodder screwed with this post 03-09-2012 at 11:11 PM
K_N_Fodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #96
zandesiro
In rust we trust....

Oddometer: 789
Thumb

zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:48 AM   #97
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,037
Gas in BBRSP?

Fascinating 3 days in BBRSP. I'll remember how you unstuck yourself in that creek. Good lesson there for all of us. Unload; sit down and think it over; take your time to plan. I bought a 250 for that exact reason. 300# is a lot easier to deal with.

The park looks pretty big and those loops seem long. What did you do about fuel? I though the brochure said there was no fuel in the park.

Thanks again. One of your best rides.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:59 AM   #98
Texas T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
I was pointed to this thread by a fellow Two Wheeled Texans member and I read the entire RR last night and this morning. One of the best RR I've read in quite a long time and very informative as well. Thank you for the effort.
Texas T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:15 AM   #99
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,427
Great report man, I have so many friends that have ridden there (like the one's pictured above) but I can't get more than a weekend off at a time here lately...one of these days!

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #100
M38A1
Type-A Introvert

Oddometer: 310
A tip of the hat to you on the excellent ride report!

The crowd you ran in to was from Two Wheeled Texans and they were having their annual Uncles Around the Bend BB ride. I chuckled when I saw a couple pictures of JT and greeneggsandham.

Looks like you had a wonderful time.

M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:05 AM   #101
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 817
Another Texan here; really enjoying the report.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:34 AM   #102
The Toad
Let There Be Light

Oddometer: 1,122
Camera?

Cannonshot - enjoying the RR as always.

Maybe its been asked already... What kind of camera are you using?

Thanks,
-Brian
The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #103
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klay View Post
Interesting action.
Glad you find it entertaining Klay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_N_Fodder View Post
Too cool, very unexpected to see some of my old buddies in your pictures :) You managed to run into at least two of the best dual sporters from Austin you could ever meet.

Justin
Pretty cool to see your friends Justin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandesiro View Post
Nice to hear from Greece as well! Glad you are enjoying the ride and the history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Fascinating 3 days in BBRSP. I'll remember how you unstuck yourself in that creek. Good lesson there for all of us. Unload; sit down and think it over; take your time to plan. I bought a 250 for that exact reason. 300# is a lot easier to deal with.

The park looks pretty big and those loops seem long. What did you do about fuel? I though the brochure said there was no fuel in the park.

Thanks again. One of your best rides.
I sure had a nice time on this trip. Lots to explore and lots more to come including more from BBRSP. I took extra fuel to the park in a fuel container since there is nothing available there. What is nice is that you can loop back to the headquarters (from some areas at least) to top off when you need to. Thanks for the nice remarks. I really enjoyed my time in Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
I was pointed to this thread by a fellow Two Wheeled Texans member and I read the entire RR last night and this morning. One of the best RR I've read in quite a long time and very informative as well. Thank you for the effort.
Thanks for the nice remarks about the report. Pretty easy to come up with some interesting stuff when there is so much in the area to draw from. I met a few of the TWTs and they all seemed like pretty nice folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudclod View Post
Great report man, I have so many friends that have ridden there (like the one's pictured above) but I can't get more than a weekend off at a time here lately...one of these days!
Thanks! I'll post a little more about BBRSP. What a great destination for a group ride. I guess there is a big ride planned for there for next January. Not sure if that is the TWT folks or not. I would really enjoy coming back there and riding it on my DRZ as it would be even more fun than what I did this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M38A1 View Post
A tip of the hat to you on the excellent ride report!

The crowd you ran in to was from Two Wheeled Texans and they were having their annual Uncles Around the Bend BB ride. I chuckled when I saw a couple pictures of JT and greeneggsandham.

Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Thanks. Texas riding in this area is great. I knew about the TWT event based out of Terlingua. I left a CannonCard over at the Starlight. I never got over there during the event though as I had pretty full days in the national park and didn't get back each day until dark. I did see a bunch of the riders in the national park though and got to chat with a few in Study Butte and on the trail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Another Texan here; really enjoying the report.
Thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying the report. I hope I am doing Texas proud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Toad View Post
Cannonshot - enjoying the RR as always.

Maybe its been asked already... What kind of camera are you using?

Thanks,
-Brian
Thanks Brian. As usual I am carrying a Nikon D60 with an 18-200 lens. With that lens I never have to change lenses (open the camera in the dust). I carry the camera in a Kata torso case. I also carry a waterproof point and shoot in a magnetic flap holster on my belt. I can draw, arm, and fire the point and shoot on the fly with one hand. I have a Gearkeeper retractable lanyard on it so I can drop it if I need to grab the bars. The point and shoot proves handy for those unexpected wildlife encounters where I wouldn't otherwise have time to get a camera out.

Cannonshot screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 12:33 PM
Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #104
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,174
Quote:
Originally posted by CannonShot:

I have a Gearkeeper retractable lanyard on it...
Every self-respecting cannoneer keeps a lanyard close at hand...

The detail and depth of your report is remarkable. Thanks, and continue...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #105
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Godzilla and Some New Riding Partners

The pavement goes away in Candelaria and the road turns into more of a trail for a while.

Just as I was fixin' to ride on, a well armed posse pulled out in front of me.

I just kind of rode into their group and tagged along for a while.

When we got to this river crossing, they stopped. This the site site of a detour. The original road that your City Navigator might route you on disappears into the Rio Grande near here.

I introduced myself to these friendly folks and we chatted for a bit. I was kind of embarrassed because I was the only guy there that didn't have a handgun, a knife, AND an assault rifle.

Now most people might feel a little nervous about encountering a well armed posse out in the bush. Actually, I felt more secure with these guys than I otherwise had. In Wisconsin, perhaps this whole situation might have been considered a little curious. Here in Texas, not so much.

I wouldn't have wanted to be a coyote or a rattlesnake and run into these guys.

I wasn't sure how this would turn out. Sort of a "mexican standoff".

The green line is the old road that disappeared and the red is the current track that by-passes that section. I ran into a couple of border patrol agents on ATVs earlier and I asked about the trail ahead. One of them told me about a steep hill ahead. He said an agent had been hurt there on a dirt bike in the past and that he had ridden it on his ATV and found that it was a challenge.

I asked the posse folks if they were headed that way and when they said they were, I asked to tag along through the tough stuff. They were all anxious to see me negotiate "Godzilla" on my bike.

So off we went.

Nice by-pass.

We stopped on a hilltop above Godzilla. Looking toward Mexico.

Candelaria.

Town in Mexico across from Candelaria. The brushy river bottom used to get farmed a lot.

Some of my new riding pals. Very nice group of fellows. Helpful and generous. Proud to have met them. Nice folks. One of these guys told me they were out doing their thing some years back when a border patrol helicopter landed nearby and a crewman agent came over and checked each one of them pretty closely.

I walked over to take a peek at this descent at Godzilla since I was curious to look before I committed (after hearing all the hype).

It starts off easy enough. Be sure to keep your speed down or you will soon be in trouble though.

Lots of loose rock to slip around on. Steepness never really shows too well in these shots though.

I went down it fine, but I had to creep it down because of the loose rock and erosion. The KLR is too top-heavy to mess around. Like that ridge on the Great Divide (Fleecer), it is no big deal, but you have to respect it. Like that ridge on the Great Divide one wheel or the other would lock up and slide. Sometimes the back end would want to come around and take the bike sideways in the loose stuff.

I think climbing it would be easier than going down, but if you lost traction on the loose stuff you might have a little trouble.

The erosion could get you too if it caught a wheel in a rut. Overall, it wasn't that big of a deal, but it surely is worthy of respect. Not just anyone on any bike should mess around with this thing I guess. Once you get clear of the worst hazards you can let the bike go and slingshot out onto the Army Corps of Engineers built water crossing below.

My posse friends creeped 'er down as well.

Of course, like in any group those that made it took up observer positions to "wish the others well" in their own attempts.

If any of these guys see this, I want to say "thank you" again for letting me hang with you through this. It was great meeting you all!

"Adidas . . . er, I mean adios!"

Cannonshot screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 09:36 PM