Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #31
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Oddometer: 2,981
RidingDonkeys -- Looks like an elegant solution.

I'm really torn on this one, and I think in the end all of us are making educated guesses on what is best for our dogs. I remember a relatively minor accident several years ago in which the back hatch of a lady's SUV was sprung on impact and her four goldens bailed out in panic...right into Interstate traffic. All four were hit and killed.

That's my personal nightmare scenario, and personally I think if Barley survived an impact I'd rather he stayed with the wreck until I or a good samaritan could reach him.

He's also a hunting dog. Every time a rabbit or squirrel crosses the road in front of us he lunges, then turns to me with that imploring look, "Shoot it, Dad! SHOOT IT!"

I think he's safer the way I have him.
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Boondox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:23 AM   #32
eepeqez
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
So you have a minor prang......... The dog flies out with the magnet............... It catches a passing truck............. And the dog goes interstate.........
Sorry could not help that one.
Cheers
Don't be silly, who builds truck bodies from steel these days? They're all aluminium!
eepeqez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #33
RidingDonkeys OP
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondox View Post
RidingDonkeys -- Looks like an elegant solution.

I'm really torn on this one, and I think in the end all of us are making educated guesses on what is best for our dogs.
I think you nailed it. Different breeds will require different setups. Giant Schnauzers are a little different than their smaller counterparts. They tend to be extremely family centric and protective. Keeping a Giant socialized is a must.

When Bryson gets scared or nervous, his gut reaction is to come directly to us and protect. The scarier the situation, the closer he gets. It's a really nice trait to have and one of the things that attracted us to the breed. Thus, I'm not really worried about him bolting in the event of an accident. He'll probably just run straight to me to check up.

The other breed on our short list was a Irish Wolfhound. I love those dogs, and their temperment is amazing. But imagine having a sighthound in a sidecar. Yeah, if we had one of those, he'd be bolted in!

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Hah! Barley is exactly the opposite. When he's startled or frightened he runs to us...and hides behind us! Part of that is the way I trained him. Because we travel thousands of miles from home I wanted him to run to me, rather than away, if the crap ever hit the fan. I've been so successful at that that I can't leave him alone (like paying for gas inside, or ducking into a grocery store to pick up some munchies) without him trying to follow.

This came to a head last summer when I really needed to pee in Malone NY, and the gas station's restrooms were INSIDE the convenience store. Because they served food, dogs were not allowed inside. I didn't dare leave him unattended on a busy street, so ended up stuffing my 75# golden retriever into a backpack and wearing him into the store as I snuck past the clerk!

Must work on the behavioral modification thing this year...
I got a sidecar to travel with my dog. He never complains, is delighted to be with me, approves of my dietary choices, is a social butterfly who helps me meet folks, appreciates a good beer, snuggles better than my wife, and hangs on my every word as if it's the most profound thing he's ever heard. TravelsWithBarley.com
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #35
Spat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 848
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
The other breed on our short list was a Irish Wolfhound. I love those dogs, and their temperment is amazing. But imagine having a sighthound in a sidecar. Yeah, if we had one of those, he'd be bolted in!
IW in a Ural tub? Does the line from Jaws come to mind?
"I think we need a bigger boat"

I'm not sure about the magnet, might be good for my 14 lb terrier. Drill and mount an eyebolt in the floor, use it or not it's there. A dog the size of a standard Snauz you might take the seat bottom off. I just use a strap around the back of the seat carabener and harness.

Red Green: You ever see one of these? It's called a GPS, this thing uses satellites to tell you where you are, which means that every man can have a five-hundred-dollar reason not to ask for directions.

Spat screwed with this post 03-10-2012 at 11:05 AM
Spat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #36
RidingDonkeys OP
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 8,404
We do take the seat out for him. I just took him for a bit of a ride and he scared the bejesus out of me. He stood up twice. That is not cool in my book. A slippery tub bottom and a tall dog standing spell disaster. More training is a must before we take longer rides.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Clinging to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
RidingDonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:53 PM   #37
val. h.
On the wrong planet

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by brstar View Post
So you have a minor prang......... The dog flies out with the magnet............... It catches a passing truck............. And the dog goes interstate.........
Sorry could not help that one.
Cheers

HaHa! made me laugh that did

Val.

Ay! and the roads need to be bloody good too
val. h. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #38
val. h.
On the wrong planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepeqez View Post
Don't be silly, who builds truck bodies from steel these days? They're all aluminium!
Chassis is steel though isn't it ???????

Val.

Old 03-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #39
val. h.
On the wrong planet

Quote:
Hah! Barley is exactly the opposite. When he's startled or frightened he runs to us...and hides behind us! Part of that is the way I trained him. Because we travel thousands of miles from home I wanted him to run to me, rather than away, if the crap ever hit the fan. I've been so successful at that that I can't leave him alone (like paying for gas inside, or ducking into a grocery store to pick up some munchies) without him trying to follow.

This came to a head last summer when I really needed to pee in Malone NY, and the gas station's restrooms were INSIDE the convenience store. Because they served food, dogs were not allowed inside. I didn't dare leave him unattended on a busy street, so ended up stuffing my 75# golden retriever into a backpack and wearing him into the store as I snuck past the clerk!

Oh Sh*t the emoticoms don't cover this kind of entertainment. I'm having so much fun reading this thread

I keep trying to post a usefull contribution. Then I come accross another belly bussing moment.

Val.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #40
val. h.
On the wrong planet

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
We do take the seat out for him. I just took him for a bit of a ride and he scared the bejesus out of me. He stood up twice. That is not cool in my book. A slippery tub bottom and a tall dog standing spell disaster. More training is a must before we take longer rides.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Sounds like you need a carpet of some sort of non slip matt. One of those padded dog mats maybe?

My primary concern with our Whippet is that she is comfortable in the hack. So a nice padded floor for her to lay on is a must. Then I think of security. She is my other halfs dog, but my other half wants to ride her own bike. This means there is a risk that the dog will try to join her when we stop. Not good.

I rigged up a leash that prevents her from leaving the hack but gives her enough to allow her to sit up when she wants to and to get down under cover out of the wind.

I don't think having a brake-away link is a particularly good idea. I'm deffinately of the oppinion that the dog is better off staying with the hack. If she gets thrown out and ends up badly injured, I want to be able to get to her asap. Not have to go hunting around in the bushes trying to find where she's been thrown by the impact. Or worse still, to wake up in hospital only to be told they didn't know to look for our dog.

Of course this is worse case senario. But the dog stays with me, whatever happens. Just like a child!

Val.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #41
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,294
"hang on"

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #42
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,383
Good stuff
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:59 AM   #43
BeeMaa
Hack Pilot

Oddometer: 1,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
"hang on"

Gives new meaning to "Riding Bitch"

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein
BeeMaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #44
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:

Yours or Barley's?
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #45
Boondox
Travels With Barley

Maybe a little of both, Bob!

Val H - I had a firm piece of 3" foam lining the bottom of the tub for Barley, but noticed he wasn't comfortable laying down, especially on gravel roads or where the pavement was in poor condition. That's 90% of our roads here in Vermont. So I went to the Orvis outlet and got one of those memory foam dog beds. It fit the tub perfectly and Barley is now a lot more rested on our long trips.