Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #106
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Oddometer: 54
I don't even have to click on that link, it is wrong. It says mono right in the link. You need a stereo jack, L R and common.

They have the exact kind you need at Fry's Electronics. Is there one near you?

Eileen

Sent from my Galaxy II S via Tapatalk
JetGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #107
doc3toes
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks Jetgrl.
nope never heard of Fry's, im pretty good at ebay though. I'm in Canada. i figured it was the jack, because my soldering was so perfect! i might be able to find a radioshack. at least i know i didnt cook anything.
doc3toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #108
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

I get them from a place called onlinecomponents. Just Google the part number "Philmore 504k" and you can find it.

The picture of the open one you showed is a switched socket, the switch opens when the jack is plugged in. It has 4 connection points.

Eileen

Old 03-11-2012, 08:03 AM   #109
AtLarge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
You're a good sport JetGrl. Personally, I would just send you mine and I may just do that. I was PCB builder as a child. As everything has gotten smaller over the years so has my patience. Oh, and my eyesight.
2008 GSX1300-BKK8 #1120
Cardo Scala rider G4 PowerSet
AtLarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #110
doc3toes
n00b

Oddometer: 9
props to jetgrl. got my jacks and was done in 5 minutes. sounds nice and loud.
doc3toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #111
afulldeck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetGrl View Post
I get them from a place called onlinecomponents. Just Google the part number "Philmore 504k" and you can find it.

The picture of the open one you showed is a switched socket, the switch opens when the jack is plugged in. It has 4 connection points.

Eileen

Thanks for the inspiration. I couldn't find the TRS jack that you used, so I use one from a PCP board and mounted it on the underside of the G4. Now, I don't use ear buds, but mounted different helmet speakers---- one's that aren't so tinny. Oh yes, I use the flexible speaker wire to move the boom mike to inside my helmet. I had to add a jack mono jack for the boom mic but it seems to work well. One has to wonder why the heck Cardo doesn't do this out of the box.
afulldeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #112
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by afulldeck View Post
Thanks for the inspiration. I couldn't find the TRS jack that you used, so I use one from a PCP board and mounted it on the underside of the G4. Now, I don't use ear buds, but mounted different helmet speakers---- one's that aren't so tinny. Oh yes, I use the flexible speaker wire to move the boom mike to inside my helmet. I had to add a jack mono jack for the boom mic but it seems to work well. One has to wonder why the heck Cardo doesn't do this out of the box.
Post some pics so we can see how you did the mike... Is the boom secured inside somehow?

Eileen
Old 04-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #113
shelbyjet
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by afulldeck View Post
What speakers did you use? I have done the earbud mod and it is fantastic but sometimes I want to wear plain old ear plugs and having speakers wired up inside the shell would e great. They are always too thick though and touch my ears and annoys me.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #114
Ilener
Adventurer

Well, I have a new audio kit coming to me in the mail due to a failed modification of my Scala Q2, where I cut off the speakers and installed the plug for headphones in its place. It worked great for the music, and the other rider's headset can hear me BUT I cannot hear the other rider.

I took it all apart and resoldered yet, no change in end result. There were more wires than I expected... Copper, copper striped red, copper striped green, red, blue, blue striped...

Sure wish I had a schematics diagram for the Q2 Pro.

Do you suppose I should have just taken the ends of the 2 tiny wires going to each speaker and wired just them to the headphone plug that I used? (avoiding all the other wires that were inside there hiding).
Ilener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:32 AM   #115
Golevi OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilener View Post
Well, I have a new audio kit coming to me in the mail due to a failed modification of my Scala Q2, where I cut off the speakers and installed the plug for headphones in its place. It worked great for the music, and the other rider's headset can hear me BUT I cannot hear the other rider.

I took it all apart and resoldered yet, no change in end result. There were more wires than I expected... Copper, copper striped red, copper striped green, red, blue, blue striped...

Sure wish I had a schematics diagram for the Q2 Pro.

Do you suppose I should have just taken the ends of the 2 tiny wires going to each speaker and wired just them to the headphone plug that I used? (avoiding all the other wires that were inside there hiding).
I did the modification on the Q2 also, and ran into the same problems... What I ended up doing is separated all the wires and tried ALL the combinations using clip jumpers connecting each of the wires to a headphone jack... Once I got the music playing and could hear it with both right and left ear bud, I then tested it with my Bluetooth phone, and then connected up with the other rider as well until I got the right combination...

Good luck with this...

2008 BMW R 1200 GS Adventure
Golevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #116
Ilener
Adventurer

I sure wish you knew which wires you paired up.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #117
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Q2 wiring

I've worked on several of these and found different electronics and wiring, at least 3 different ones. That is why I quit working on them.

The last one I worked on I ended up buying the user a new clamp so I could get it right.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #118
Ilener
Adventurer

Thanks JetGrl

I had thought it was the antenna wires that were messing things up, but I can't imagine now. I guess I'll take it apart again and see if I can pair wires up differently. Any advice on colors to match, would be greatly appreciated. I don't understand electronics too much, but have hooked up stereos many times and thought it would be similar. There's striped wires for one side and solid for the other side, then there's those copper ones: one solid copper and one striped copper.

Ugh!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #119
JetGrl
FJR Pilot

Yup, there are 3 wires to each speaker and the color codes are not consistent in any way. Even if yoi dig into the speakers and see which ones actually attach to them and eliminate the antenna wires you still have to figure out which ones to tie together for common.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #120
Ilener
Adventurer

Figured it out! Scala Q2 Pro Solved, NOT an easy task.

I did it, took some time, like 3+ hours... those darn little wires are terrible! Fragile! Too damn tiny!

In the previous posts I had noted what we had soldered together, I had great music and no intercom.
(This was with husband's help because he understands electrical stuff/ham radio/ etc.) Yet, I kept thinking about stereo wires in the back of the power amp when you attach them and things were just confusing in my mind.

So, I took it all apart A.G.A.I.N., determined to figure out the problem. The original mod at the start of this thread was excellent and I knew something in my setup was wrong. Staring at the motherboard and seeing where everything was connected, it just seemed to me to try another approach. Here is what I did and it worked.

PLEASE NOTE: I did NOT solder anything to the motherboard, I just stared at it, and stared at it.
All of my soldering was from the speaker wires to the new earphone plug.

On the motherboard there is...
L-Antenna/ Copper, L+/Green , L- /Red

R-Antenna/Green Stripe , R+/Red Striped , R-/Blue

On my earbuds plug that I am trying to attach to this entire thing so I can use whatever earbuds I want and never have to solder this S.O.B. again.... there are three wires one blue, one red and one copper.

This is what worked:
1. I took the L-Antenna/Copper and attached it to the Copper on the new plug.
2. I left the R-Antenna/Green Stripe alone and did NOT connect it to anything. Leave it hanging.
3. I took the L+/Green and the R+/Red Striped and attached them to the Red on the new plug.
4. I took the L-/Red and the R-/Blue and attached them to the Blue in the new plug.

Music was LOUD.
Intercom was LOUD
The stupid beep that you hear when you turn it on and change channels was loud.
Everything was working and its perfect.

Let the truth be known...
In the beginning of this last wire touching challenge, I had managed to fix the intercom but the music sucked, it was tin can sounding and low volume. I started taking things apart because my solder joints were horrible and they weren't working very well. "WHY?" you may ask. Because I didn't have electrical solder with the flux in the middle... it was down at the marina on the sailboat. I didn't have a 'real' soldering iron, it was also on the boat. and so, I did what any artist would do. I sacrificed my art supplies. I used the lead solder that I use to put together stained glass windows and I used the woodburner iron with a thin woodburner tip. I also used spray on flux from my silversmith supplies. Ok, so it was crazy but seemed to be working, for a while anyway. But, the connections wouldn't hold. Right now, the wires are scraped clean and await the true electrician supplies sometime tomorrow.

Right now, I do know it all works fantastic because some of it was soldered and some of the wires I squeezed together and got the best sound ever from both music and intercom. So I thank everyone that helped, I thank Golevi for putting it all up here with excellent photos which was priceless and I hope what I have added will be enough for others who got stumped with Scala's 3-wire confusion can now try it again and be successful. By tomorrow night, my headset will be completely assembled and ready for next Saturday's long ride over the Bay Bridge to Annapolis Naval Academy with a group of friends! I'm so happy! Oh, I will probably keep the other Scala Audio kit that I bought last night and hook it up to my other helmet with the earbud mod properly done, too.

One piece of advice: Have a beer or two, and stay away from artist stained glass tools and silversmith supplies because there is no substitute for good electrical soldering supplies.

Thanks! advrider is the best ever, what a great group of bikers

Ilener screwed with this post 04-29-2012 at 09:12 PM Reason: Spelling & clarification