User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 421
How about a CBR 600 F4i DS

I have a 2006 Honda CBR 600F4i that was rolled in a ball with 1,942 miles on it. It bent back the front forks. tore off the swing arm and destroyed all the plastics. I have replaced the front forks and swing arm, it is up and running and I have ridden it around the yard a little bit. I have gotten a upper tripple tree clamp so I can put some regular handlebars on it. just havent done so yet. Just kinds seeing if anyone has dual sported one of these before. Here's some pics as to the shape it is now.

SO tell me what you think.......am I crazy, should I sell it, should I just make it a naked bike and leave it more like a crotch rocket? I have a clean slate to start with.

sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #2
JamesG
Rabid Poster

Oddometer: 10,946
Square peg, round hole. Have fun.
JamesG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Hard to weld the cast aluminum frame. You've seen sailah 's thread on his 600 ? Steel makes things more possible.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Not seen that thread

I will have to look it up. I have seen a sportster dual sported, and I have a variety of big hammers to hammer square pegs into round holes, been doing that all my life........just seeing if anyone has any useful ideas, it's a good start I think for something, and it was dirt cheap and right now, I only have about $1,000 in it. Maybe I aught to get drunk and go out there and see what it becomes?
Old 03-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
dentvet
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Just start tinkering and see if you like the bike. Might end up at a naked bike or further down the DS line if it starts clicking for you.

Here's mine

Before:

now:

I'm not sure where mine's going to end up but its kind of fun to customize stuff
dentvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,262
Mine is a slow build but easily done

It's wearing the sumo setup but I have dirt wheels too.

It's very close to riding condition just needs lots of finish work. And I've been lazy

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Main thing

Like your build sailah, I want some way to protect the lower engine cases. I havent figured that out yet, but like I said, I am starting with a clean slate so I can do pretty much anything. I do want to put some more aggressive rubber on the ground, and with the 919 upper tree, I am going to change over to some regular handle bars. when I do this, I can lower the forks into the clamps nearly 2 inches, raising the front by 2 inches. and since the front forks have some type of built in dampening adjustment, I can play with that. I am a kinda large guy (230 lbs) I need all the suspension that I can get out of this.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
bdjuju
Should be wrenching

Oddometer: 48
Yup, raising the rear suspension is where it gets interesting.

At least there are a lot of options for engine protection, considering its popularity with stuntas.

Have you seen Icon's 'Magnificent Bastard'?

bdjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #9
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Like your build sailah, I want some way to protect the lower engine cases. I havent figured that out yet, but like I said, I am starting with a clean slate so I can do pretty much anything. I do want to put some more aggressive rubber on the ground, and with the 919 upper tree, I am going to change over to some regular handle bars. when I do this, I can lower the forks into the clamps nearly 2 inches, raising the front by 2 inches. and since the front forks have some type of built in dampening adjustment, I can play with that. I am a kinda large guy (230 lbs) I need all the suspension that I can get out of this.
I'm getting rid of that spar I made that goes from the front engine mount to where the pegs are. Gets in the way of where my feet need to be. I'm going to redo the rearsets on the waterjet to move the peg location forward and down a couple inches. Once I get the riding position locked in, I'll work on engine protection. Most likely I will weld up a simple aluminum skidplate.

I'm 220 so not too far off from where you are. My 600 is a little extreme for a casual build as I extensively modified the rear suspension, front suspension and tank/subframe.

You could skip the tank mods,run a steel F3 swingarm and lengthen it 4-5 inches, find a really stiff spring, get a dirt bike front end and try and keep the weight down.

Dentvet is right though, just start ripping stuff apart and it will come together. It's hard to plan an entire build start to finish with everything you will need in perfect harmony, things change based on price and time, so my advice is to think about what you want to get out of it and then work towards that goal.

If it's just going to be a simple dual sport and you aren't going to be hammering off road with it, the extensive suspension mods are probably a waste of effort and money. But if you want great off road performance and a crackin engine, then set your sights on getting some killer suspension and dirt wheels.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
sandsman OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I hear ya sailah

I am just gonna do some simple type mods, not gonna go extream with anything. Better meat for some gravel, no severe offroading, I have had a badly broken leg so I want something lighter than my big bike, yet with some guts to have a little fun. I cant afford to break this leg again ,

so allI am gonna do is mainly change the riding position to more upright, raise the front suspension and raise the rear a couple of inches, add some lower case protection. Mount up some hard cases for a weekend outing or two. My leg cant take too much of a beating anymore. So no really involved off roading.