Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
SenorPeligro OP
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Panamint Springs n00b Circus

This is my first attempt at creating a GPS route. The goal here is to travel clock-wise from Panamint Springs, hitting Skidoo, Agueberry and the Charcoal Kilns before looping back. Does this look like a sane GPS route?
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Panamint n00b Circus.gpx (131.3 KB, 156 views)

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale

SenorPeligro screwed with this post 03-08-2012 at 10:27 PM
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Sane in a Honda Civic, not much fun on a dirt bike. Less than half day trip
Old 03-09-2012, 03:09 AM   #3
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
What was that your mother used to say, Jerry? Something about "if you don't have something nice to say"? If it's not your cup of tea, you don't have to ride it.

Thanks for sharing, SenorPeligro

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,542
Quote:
That's valuable information, giving a general idea of the difficulty and ride time. Some may already know what's there, others might appreciate Jerry's heads up. I think this ride is exactly Jerry's cup of tea, but his is cup half full and Dave's is half empty! Peligro asked for feedback, Jerry gave it.
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPeligro View Post
This is my first attempt at creating a GPS route. The goal here is to travel clock-wise from Panamint Springs, hitting Skidoo, Agueberry and the Charcoal Kilns before looping back. Does this look like a sane GPS route?
Looks good but may not be enough for a day's ride. I included the loop over Emigrant Pass in a ride out to Beatty, Rhyolite, and Titus at the n00bs rally the year before last. I didn't head up to the kilns, etc. though. Emigrant Pass is a fun area to play around. You could spend the better part of a day up there, and still easily be home (PSR) in time for the dinner.

I would suggest reversing the loop, since entering from the Panamint side is a bit more fun (short section of early easy dirt, and climbing through the narrow and twisty parts of the route will be more enjoyable). Also drop down to Stovepipe on 190 (for fuel, etc. and to pay your parks entry fee if you hadn't had a chance beforehand) before turning around to head back to PSR.
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
SenorPeligro OP
Proper Naughty

I should add some context to this; I'm offering to lead a bunch of riders with little or no experience dirt riders on this trip. Groups always slow down, more so as they get larger and with time for sightseeing at the various stops, this isn't intended to be a full tilt sprint through the worst/funnest parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
I would suggest reversing the loop, since entering from the Panamint side is a bit more fun (short section of early easy dirt, and climbing through the narrow and twisty parts of the route will be more enjoyable). Also drop down to Stovepipe on 190 (for fuel, etc. and to pay your parks entry fee if you hadn't had a chance beforehand) before turning around to head back to PSR.
Thanks for the tips. I've updated the route to include West Side Road down through Badwater and Artists Drive back around.
I think that's 7:30 hours or riding plus all the time for stops. Sound like a full day to you?
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Panamint n00b Circus.gpx (240.5 KB, 83 views)

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
Old 03-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #7
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,400
Hey Peligro...
Your first version is a nice ride for total dirt noobs. I know ~130miles doesn't sound like much, but with a late start (likely) and lots of sightseeing stops, you can easily use up the better part of the day and still get back to PSR at a comfy hour. The dirt spurs out to Aguereberry and Skidoo can provide plenty of entertainment for first timers.

I agree with doing the loop CCW. When you get back to Hwy190 at Emigrant RS, folks can decide if they're ready to return to camp or continue on. If not enough time for the full West Side / Badwater treatment, just ride down to Stovepipe and go for a little hike up Mosaic Cyn or out on the sand dunes.

-M
Will herd cats for beer (... but I rescue puppies for free )
SmugMug (coupon: bLfv2vBXZicd6)
rider914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:07 PM   #8
SenorPeligro OP
Proper Naughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider914 View Post
Hey Peligro...
Your first version is a nice ride for total dirt noobs. I know ~130miles doesn't sound like much, but with a late start (likely) and lots of sightseeing stops, you can easily use up the better part of the day and still get back to PSR at a comfy hour. The dirt spurs out to Aguereberry and Skidoo can provide plenty of entertainment for first timers.

I agree with doing the loop CCW. When you get back to Hwy190 at Emigrant RS, folks can decide if they're ready to return to camp or continue on. If not enough time for the full West Side / Badwater treatment, just ride down to Stovepipe and go for a little hike up Mosaic Cyn or out on the sand dunes.

-M
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
Old 03-09-2012, 03:10 PM   #9
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
Looks good but may not be enough for a day's ride. I included the loop over Emigrant Pass in a ride out to Beatty, Rhyolite, and Titus at the n00bs rally the year before last. I didn't head up to the kilns, etc. though. Emigrant Pass is a fun area to play around. You could spend the better part of a day up there, and still easily be home (PSR) in time for the dinner.

THIS is valuable information.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:20 PM   #10
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
our first version is a nice ride for total dirt noobs. I know ~130miles doesn't sound like much, but with a late start (likely) and lots of sightseeing stops, you can easily use up the better part of the day and still get back to PSR at a comfy hour. The dirt spurs out to Aguereberry and Skidoo can provide plenty of entertainment for first timers.

I agree with doing the loop CCW. When you get back to Hwy190 at Emigrant RS, folks can decide if they're ready to return to camp or continue on. If not enough time for the full West Side / Badwater treatment, just ride down to Stovepipe and go for a little hike up Mosaic Cyn or out on the sand dunes. -M
+1, first loop CCW is good for noobs, there is also a side dirt trip to Minnieta Cabin just off PV road that would work for them or a side trip the the Panamint Valley Crater. To see all posibilities, I have active Log Tracks of every road in the area on GPSXchange.com.

Your new loop if all in one day is getting real long, you can spend 2 hours at visitor center at Furnace creek and lots and lots of high speed highway.

I have a ride for very experienced riders this weekend: http://www.dualsportwest.com/public/...alley%20So.pdf

Countdown screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 11:49 AM
Countdown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #11
SenorPeligro OP
Proper Naughty

Quote:
+1, first loop CCW is good for noobs, there is also a side dirt trip to Minnieta Cabin just off PV road that would work for them or a side trip the the Panamint Valley Crater. To see all posibilities, I have active Log Tracks of every road in the area on GPSXchange.com.

Your new loop if all in one day is getting real long, you can spend 2 hours at visitor center at Furnace creek and lots and lots of high speed highway.

I have a ride for very experienced riders this weekend: http://www.dualsportwest.com/public/...alley%20So.pdf
The Crater looks like a fun a excursion. How n00b friendly is the Nadeau Trail/Road running along the west of Panamint Valley Road? That looks like it's a more direct way to the crater (on dirt).

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPeligro View Post
How n00b friendly is the Nadeau Trail/Road running along the west of Panamint Valley Road? That looks like it's a more direct way to the crater (on dirt).
The southern half of Nadeau (from Trona Wildrose Rd up to Revenue Mine) is actually old pavement, but the northern half (from Revenue up to Hwy190) is a bit rough. Lots of rocks and deep, loose gravel wash. I wouldn't call it noob friendly.

Minnietta Rd is easy from Panamint Valley Rd over to Nadeau, but the last mile up to the cabin (west of Nadeau) is also rocky.

-M
Old 03-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The southern half of Nadeau (from Trona Wildrose Rd up to Revenue Mine) is actually old pavement, but the northern half (from Revenue up to Hwy190) is a bit rough. Lots of rocks and deep, loose gravel wash. I wouldn't call it noob friendly. Minnietta Rd is easy from Panamint Valley Rd over to Nadeau, but the last mile up to the cabin (west of Nadeau) is also rocky. -M
Not true, the original Nadeau Toll Road is all dirt and still there. There is a paved county road parallel to it called Nadeau road. Most of the Nadeau Toll Road north of Slate Range crossing is not for beginners. The only easy way to the Crater is what appears to be a graded dirt county road from the Panamint Valley paved road over to the paved Nadeau road. Then a jeep road to the crater. NOTE: the allignment of the graded road appears to be the original road to haul charcole from the Kilns to the Minietta mine.

An option that will give your noobs some "learning experience" is to take the Minietta Graded county road in to the Minietta Cabin then take the Nadeau toll road down to the paved Nadeau road, to the crater, then back to the Panamint Valley road. The Nadeau road in this section has a lot of small (< soft ball) rocks and some sand.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #14
rider914
Agnostic Adventurer

Quote:
Not true, the original Nadeau Toll Road is all dirt and still there.
Yep, but I figured the OP was refering to Nadeau Rd for the most part.
While most maps (at least the ones I have) usually show the old toll road, I rarely see a name placed next to it.
Oddly, I think google earth calls it 'Hadue'

-M
Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 PM   #15
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yep, but I figured the OP was refering to Nadeau Rd for the most part.-M
Since he knew where the Crater was, I assumed he was looking at my file on GPSXchange.