ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #106
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by M@gneto View Post
You guys still up for this. I know it's right before Swinging Bridges, but I'm still planning on it.
Mag
I thought it was a done deal Looks like lfs225 has a plan starting from 'Cape or even farther south in MO. to Chester IL. / St Gen MO. I have volunteered to do a route from Chester IL. to Alton IL. or Hannibal MO. I know this stuff pretty well. I suggested using the IL. side of the Mississippi to get around the "Greater Saint Louis Metropolitan Area", but I will be glad to do a route on the MO. side if that is what it is all about. Your ride, your call, let me know what if anything, I can do.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #107
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Oddometer: 278
I had posted the inbound .gpx earlier. This is a great route but would take a full day by itself. So may not be appropriate for this ride. I can not post the outbound .gpx on this thread. No more attachments allowed. But I can put it on the GPS thread if anyone is interested. It leaves Cape going north on some good curvy roads (blacktop secondary) and ends up crossing the Mississippi river at St. Genevieve and going to Fort De Charte (old French Fort worth seeing). Sieg has agreed to take it from there. He and I are planning on
pre-riding the whole route from Cape around St. Louis to make sure it's acceptable. We will have it ready in a month or so. Depends on the weather and Sieg's schedule.

A piece of the road (two miles of gravel) from Cape to Fort De Charte
AMA #033031A Charter Life Member

lfs225 screwed with this post 02-19-2012 at 11:17 AM
lfs225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #108
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

Oddometer: 226
Roll Call

April 19th is approaching fast. Who is in? Paging lfs 225. Are we still invited to camp in your yard? I'm thinking that this little get together may have a small turnout, but it is still worth a go. Perhaps we shall have no formal route plan at all. With a small group this is not a problem.

If a larger group is attending we need to kick this thread over to layin down tracks where we can create a new thread that allows .gpx atachements. My understanding is that original plan was to begin the ride on a Friday morning. If this takes place I will only ride Friday and Saturday and then leave the group and go home Sunday since I only wish to burn one vacation day. If the attendance is small perhaps we could consider moving the start to Satrday morning and let it be a day and a half ride. We would not hit all four corners--maybe not even hit two, but we'd have fun and be able to sit round the campfire and plan a big ride for next year.
RayAlazzurra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #109
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Offer still stands.

My place is open. As i said it is a open meadow with a few trees (much like a park). There is a great place for a bon fire. And I can offer about eight chairs. There is water but no electricity. Just let me know you're coming so I can plan accordingly. (pm me if you plan on coming)

I have a good route north out of Cape (read that as lots of curves, blacktop roads and nice scenery) that would fit nicely into the FCR. Ending up in Illinois at a French Fort after crossing a Mississippi river ferry.

For those of you that are adventurous and like to ride gravel road I have a route south out of Cape that ends up at the "arch over the highway". But then leads nowhere. Just hoof it back to Cape to continue.

I can offer GPS (.gpx files) for both routes, a detailed turn by turn direction sheet and/or bring your map and I will highlite the route. I am also available to lead either direction if desired.

Just let me know how I can be of help, aid and support. I am willing.

I'm sure Sieg would/could lead you from the Fort northward around St. Louis.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #110
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Oddometer: 285
I'm still in!
Mag
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
M@gneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #111
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

I'm in

Quote:
I'm still in!
Mag
You better still be in Mag since you came up with this crazy, brilliant idea. Are we still planning to start the ride Friday morning at lfs225's place? I'm going to request Friday April 19 as a vacation day. Are you planning to bring your Alazzurra? Mine is not fixed yet, but I have the parts. It would be nice to see another Alazzurra. I'll probably bring my trusty old Honda. Lfs225's place just north of Cape G. is very close to my grandfather's farm so I'm looking forward to a visit.

So our tentative plan is to leave lfs225's Friday morning after swilling coffee and head north. Battle of Athens State Park is over 275 miles and this may be a bit too far. I think there is a campground somewhere off hwy 79 near Hannibal so we could have a backup plan. Day 2, Saturday, head north and west of somewhere near Hamburg, IA or perhaps Rockport, MO.

Day 3, Sunday, head south and try to make Splitlog City or somewhere nearby. Day 4 is Monday and we had east back to near Cape or just ride home. We skip the bootheel. We have no definite plans. We ride. Life is good. See you in Cape at the waypoint marked home on the .gpx file.

Ray
Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #112
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Ray, I'm tracking exactly the way you planned it out. I don't know how many we'll have, but we'll make the first one fun anyway and maybe we'll get more if we decide to do this annually. I may have to head home Sunday night after we get to Splitlog, but we'll see.
I won't be riding the Cagiva this year. Maybe next year we'll put a European spin on it or something. Doesn't mean guys can't ride what they have, just might be fun to have a theme. I think I'm going to try this on the DR350 which has been converted to Super Moto. I know it's a lot of riding on a little bike, but I'm going to give it a shot.
LFS225, do we already have directions to your place posted here or an address or something? It might be on here already. I just want something to plug into the GPS Thursday to make sure I get there ok.
Mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAlazzurra View Post
You better still be in Mag since you came up with this crazy, brilliant idea. Are we still planning to start the ride Friday morning at lfs225's place? I'm going to request Friday April 19 as a vacation day. Are you planning to bring your Alazzurra? Mine is not fixed yet, but I have the parts. It would be nice to see another Alazzurra. I'll probably bring my trusty old Honda. Lfs225's place just north of Cape G. is very close to my grandfather's farm so I'm looking forward to a visit.

So our tentative plan is to leave lfs225's Friday morning after swilling coffee and head north. Battle of Athens State Park is over 275 miles and this may be a bit too far. I think there is a campground somewhere off hwy 79 near Hannibal so we could have a backup plan. Day 2, Saturday, head north and west of somewhere near Hamburg, IA or perhaps Rockport, MO.

Day 3, Sunday, head south and try to make Splitlog City or somewhere nearby. Day 4 is Monday and we had east back to near Cape or just ride home. We skip the bootheel. We have no definite plans. We ride. Life is good. See you in Cape at the waypoint marked home on the .gpx file.

Ray
It is the pervading law of all things organic and inorganic, of all things physical and metaphysical, of all things human and all things super-human, of all true manifestations of the head, of the heart, of the soul, that the life is recognizable in its expression, That form ever follows function. This is the law. Louis Sullivan
Old 03-21-2012, 09:53 AM   #113
Themastermike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
pipeline bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayhawkfan View Post
I'm in agreement. Riding around the state is too many miles in too few day. I am very fortunate to have traveled extensively through MO on business trips. I have visited every county numerous times and have driven around the state. Riding around in four days would not allow time for stopping and exploring.

That being said, I have been looking at this ride (as well as around Kansas) for the last couple or years. There are so many wonderful places to stop and explore that I could never do it in 4 days. The route I have been working on is mostly gravel with some alphabet highways thrown in (highways around STL and KC). My route is 1482 miles. On the type of roads I used, a full day is 200-250 miles. I estimate it would take me 6 to 8 day to get around the state. I get easily distracted at historic sites.

Those what do this ride I can see the challenge and wish you the best of luck.

Sense there have been some bridges posted I'm doing one from my last years ride along the Mississippi River, north of Cape, it is an oil pipeline bridge:

I know it is a technicality, but that is a natural gas pipeline crossing the mighty Miss there. I make 4-6 trips down to the river there a year. Great place to stop and chill. You are right across the river from Grand Tower Illinois. If in the area, swing past!
Themastermike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #114
MOzarkRider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Sorry if it has already been mentioned cause I didn't read the whole thread but there are a few campgrounds int NE MO near Hannibal.
Wyaconda State Park - Lagrange, MO (recomended)
Hickery Haven Campground - near Keokuk IA
Lacey-Keosauqua State Park - near Keosauqua IA
Riverview Campground - Bonaparte Township, Iowa

These are just a few. I have stayed in Wyaconda and it is a great campground. That would be my recomendation. I grew up in that area and was a boy scout so we did a fair share of camping and such. Another good location to camp is down by the mark twain lake but that may be further south than what you all would be looking for.
Again I read like the first 10 posts so if this info has been shared or the trip has been canceled or whatever I apologize.
05' Triumph Sprint ST
http://www.xjrider.com/
MOzarkRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #115
lfs225
Can Am Rider

Four Corners ride

Quote:
LFS225, do we already have directions to your place posted here or an address or something? It might be on here already. I just want something to plug into the GPS Thursday to make sure I get there ok.
Mag
There is a .gpx file on this thread that gives a rather "round-a-'bout" way to my house. But to aid in anyone's effort to find my place. PM me and I will give you exact directions and telephone numbers. I don't want to put them on a world wide forum.

Do I plan on you guys showing up on Thursday April 19th or Friday? And do you want me to lead from Cape north, offer just the map/.gpx file or do you have northward plans already formulated?
Old 04-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #116
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

Bad news

Gentlemen,
I just started a new job last week and I'm not going to be able to get the time off to make this run. I hope you guys still do it and post plenty of pics for those of us who wish we were along for the ride.
Sorry guys,
Mag
Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #117
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Gentlemen,
I just started a new job last week and I'm not going to be able to get the time off to make this run. I hope you guys still do it and post plenty of pics for those of us who wish we were along for the ride.
Sorry guys,
Mag
Your new job would not be City Administrator would it?

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:55 PM   #118
M@gneto OP
Esoteric Meanderer

job

Not a city administrator, but it is a good position. I'm just disappointed that I can't make the ride this year. I'm really hoping you guys have a blast and everyone will want to do it again, possibly next year.
Mag
Old 04-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #119
ajayhawkfan
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Not a city administrator, but it is a good position. I'm just disappointed that I can't make the ride this year. I'm really hoping you guys have a blast and everyone will want to do it again, possibly next year.
Mag
Congratulations.

I'm going to be in St. Robert next week.

Texas Hill Country Badlands and Black Hills Riding the T.W.A.T Photos
ajayhawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #120
RayAlazzurra
Stuck in the Eighties

It is a go

The four corners (really two and a hlf corners at most) ride is going to happen this coming weekend April 19th to 21st.

The ride shall begin in Cape Girardeau on Friday morning and head north. Camping for Thursday night is possible at lfs225's place near Cape. Please send him a private message if you will be there Thursday evening. The ride will proceed north from Cape and arrive Friday evening at Wakona State Park just north of Hannibal near Canton, MO.

Those who do not have Friday off and wish to ride Saturday may join us at the Park. The ride will leave Canton Saturday morning and head to Battle of Athens SP. We will continue west detouring into Iowa just a bit. I will head home on Sunday, but those who are more adventurous may wish to check out the rest of the state periphery.

This will be a very informal ride and hopefully a safe and relaxing one as well. Pavement and gravel is the plan--no single track and motocross trails for me...

I have placed a couple of gpx tracks in another thread on layin down tracks since tracks can no longer be posted here.

Here's the link:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1#post18480611