User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
nedc OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Having trouble setting cam timing on 85 Elite 150

My 85 Elite 150 blew it's head gasket and I am having trouble with locating the "T' mark the service manual says to locate on the flywheel while looking thru the peephole on the engine case. What I have found are two parallel straight indentations on the flywheel about 1/8' apart. Is this what i 'm looking for and do i put the mark on the case between them or on one of the other? I'm using the online pdf manual and the image is kinda fuzzy so it's no help. Also, did you know the head gaskets are NLA? I happened to have an old one that looked good, so i sprayed it with copper gasket maker and used it. I did find a guy on ebay who sells copper gaskets for $22. Hope someone can help me out on the timing marks. Thanks.
nedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
The first mark (engine rotates clockwise) is the "FIRE" mark; the second mark is your mechanical timing mark. Use the second mark.

As for head gasket availability... that's incredibly depressing. You really can't do anything to the engine without replacing the head gasket in the process... but then again, the last one rolled off the line 25 years ago, so it's not surprising. What makes this more difficult is the idea that the Chinese cloned the GY6, the CN250, but not the CH125 or 150, which makes aftermarket parts nearly impossible to find...
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
nedc OP
Adventurer

Got it- thank you. Yeah, I hope i don't have to open this engine up again and need another head gasket. Actually i did find that scrappydogscooters.com has the head gasket as part of a complete set of gaskets for 19.95 but you can't buy the head gasket separately.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Wo that was skeery! I thought they don't never have it no more! But wait, ain't there like one of them kits that you can make your own gaskets? Like it seals or something? Or some kind of sealing solvent? I'd reckon if it became necessary you could possibly make a head gasket out of another or the material or something. But damn I'd better order me some while they's still availible there! I sure hope they don't discontinue the muffler gaskets! We all be fucked then!

As a side note, on my old original 86 engine that I done replaced with the 87 Engine a couple years ago, it set in my garage right now. And not all long ago, I tried to take them cylinder head off again, but failed! I think the PO or something did something redneck/hack for the Head Gasket. Rather its some sealing kit or what. Or it almost appears they welded it on to top it off or something? I followed every instruction and everything, but right at the last point, that damn cylinder will NOT budge! Now it ain't siezed, the piston rotats just fine when you's a spinnin it over, but that damn cylinder won't budge! I tried picking at whatevers on there, picking the whole engine up by just the piston and shaking it, etc. I don't need to take it off, I's just always wander why the hell that engine failed precisally, I really suspect rings due to heads fine and it has low compression head gasket was also fine, but not really know. But its wierd, and this reason is the most big reason why I replaced the engine instead of rebuilding it on accound I was in a huge rush to get his thing on the road again.

btcn screwed with this post 03-11-2012 at 11:54 PM
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
nedc OP
Adventurer

Did you try tapping the head w/ a rubber mallet or such to break it loose? BTW, I found a used head gasket in my parts and sprayed it w/ copper gasket maker and used it. Haven't fired the engine up yet but i hope it will seal OK.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #6
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedc View Post
Got it- thank you. Yeah, I hope i don't have to open this engine up again and need another head gasket. Actually i did find that scrappydogscooters.com has the head gasket as part of a complete set of gaskets for 19.95 but you can't buy the head gasket separately.
Well, considering the head gasket retails for $15 or so, that's not bad at all!

I know I saw somewhere a Chinese knockoff jug, piston, and head assembly on eBay last year... and it was cheap money, too.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote