Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #61
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 27,970

i go to the texas race every year. i'm not a close follower but being there, in person, is really something to see. no, it's not a night at the dirt oval, mud falling from the catch nets above ya, but it's damned entertaining. don't really have a favorite driver but i do root for the chevys.

i still maintain that anyone who disrespects it should take a lap or two at 190mph. i bet they piss themselves.

i'm as much of a thrill junky as the next guy and can judge a dangerous situation as well. i'm telling you now, it's a goddamned dangerous form of racing. if you go, the first ten laps will convince you. you'll fear for every single driver's life out there.

i'd much rather watch damned near any other form of racing, but nascar is great fun in person. i suggest you give it a try.

snoid screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 09:14 PM
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:01 PM   #62
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by vuugti View Post
I personally don't get it but do agree that it is better than golf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
It is?...

Shit watching the grass grow is way more exciting then watching golf

And I hate it when I agree with snoid

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:19 AM   #63
WFOhillbilly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
I have been involved in racing for 16 years. First working on an old "street stock" dirt car for a year, then moving up to a a national touring Dirt super late model. In 2004 and 2005, I was lucky enough to get involved with a Nascar truck team as an over the wall front tire carrier. I had an idea of the speeds since I was used to our 900 hp. 2300 lb late model but it's a whole different ball game in Nascar. People who watch it on t.v. really have no clue what it's like. If you ever get to get close to the track, watch the drivers hands, they are very rarely ever just turning left. The cars are on the verge of out of control all the time. The amount of skill involved is scary. For me personally, it's addiction. The smell of the burnt fuel, the rubber, the sounds, the engineering ect... I have never been able to shake the racing "bug" and don't think I ever will.

And remember, people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You. Me. Them. Everybody. - E. B. 1980
WFOhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #64
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid View Post
i go to the texas race every year. i'm not a close follower but being there, in person, is really something to see. no, it's not a night at the dirt oval, mud falling from the catch nets above ya, but it's damned entertaining. don't really have a favorite driver but i do root for the chevys.

i still maintain that anyone who disrespects it should take a lap or two at 190mph. i bet they piss themselves.

i'm as much of a thrill junky as the next guy and can judge a dangerous situation as well. i'm telling you now, it's a goddamned dangerous form of racing. if you go, the first ten laps will convince you. you'll fear for every single driver's life out there.

i'd much rather watch damned near any other form of racing, but nascar is great fun in person. i suggest you give it a try.

I keep thinking of giving it a try. From reading the informed in this thread it sounds like Phoenix may be a good bet for me. Close enough to be cheap, and a relatively short track-- 1 mile. My other choice would be Vegas, but seems like that was a snooze fest this year and it's a 1.5 mile course.

I have a feeling live would be much like my baseball fandom--- Kick back, have a few beers with friends and enjoy the show. And much like Baseball, on TV rarely does it for me.

I've become a real Kyle Busch fan, he drives a Toyota and I like cheering for one of the good guys, not the dirty cheats.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports

Jurgen screwed with this post 03-13-2012 at 08:42 AM
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #65
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,641
Despite the arguments to the contrary, I still think the "Skittles down a toilet" is the best analogy ever for NASCAR.

Growing up, we used to go to Bristol when the stands were nothing more than crumbling concrete (early/mid 70's) and to the dirt track at Bull's Gap. I hated it then for the same reason I dislike it now. Just a bunch of cars going round and round endlessly. It may be fun to do, but very few of us will ever get behind the wheel so that aspect is too distant and removed to be of any interest. And watching it on TV?

If someone else likes it.. more power to them I guess. It just seems like an odd form of hero worship or something to me.

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #66
UncleDirt
Uncivil to idiots.

Oddometer: 11,198
Let me explain buddy.

You're a sports snob. You probably enjoy olympic diving, as it is as quiet as golf.

You are welcome.

GO JR!! #88!!!!
UncleDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM   #67
FlySniper
Bleh...

Oddometer: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleDirt View Post
Let me explain buddy.

You're a sports snob. You probably enjoy olympic diving, as it is as quiet as golf.

You are welcome.

GO JR!! #88!!!!

Golf is like bowling; much more fun when played with a .45.

Olympic swimming, running, skating, et aliae... too far removed from any sort of reality... and they often dress weird, so that puts me off to those as well.

Biathlons, boxing, motocross and rally racing? But I still ain't gonna' watch 'em on the TV. MMA?.. Too bad it wasn't around when I was still fighting (and younger!).

Mountaineering rocks!

Football, basketball, baseball, hockey, cornholing, horseshoes... meh, the only way I could ever see any of that crap becoming even remotely interesting might (maybe) be with the addition of hidden punji pits, random explosions and remotely operated taser cannons...
Er, well... hockey might not be so bad in that light...

"Think about how stupid the average person is. Now, realise that half of them are dumber than that." - George Carlin
FlySniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #68
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 27,970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post
I keep thinking of giving it a try. From reading the informed in this thread it sounds like Phoenix may be a good bet for me. Close enough to be cheap, and a relatively short track-- 1 mile. My other choice would be Vegas, but seems like that was a snooze fest this year and it's a 1.5 mile course.

I have a feeling live would be much like my baseball fandom--- Kick back, have a few beers with friends and enjoy the show. And much like Baseball, on TV rarely does it for me.

I've become a real Kyle Busch fan, he drives a Toyota and I like cheering for one of the good guys, not the dirty cheats.
here's a tip, take a flask and earplugs (and a cooler because beer prices at the track are insane).

yup on baseball, love it in the park but on the toob, i'm always asleep before the stretch. i rarely catch the end of a game unless it's the series.
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #69
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySniper View Post
Biathlons, boxing, motocross and rally racing? But I still ain't gonna' watch 'em on the TV. MMA?.. Too bad it wasn't around when I was still fighting (and younger!).
The best privateer rallyists I know (and one of the few to ever get any factory support) read "Circle Track Magazine" for technical tips.

And biathlon as a spectator sport? BIATHLON? Talk about something that's so far removed from it's original concept...
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 PM   #70
mudgepondexpress
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,136
Circle Track and Racing Technology was a great magazine when I was racing in the 90's. I raced 1/4 mile paved oval and had a blast...but lessons I learned from racing and the magazine has helped me tremendously in all my automotive endeavors.

Kenny
mudgepondexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #71
andruboz
Serial overfiller

Oddometer: 5,243
i got nascar in smell-o-vision on sunday. just as the commentators were talking about all the cars blowing up and running on 7 cylinders, some guy went down my street burning oil to beat the band. felt just like smell-o-vision.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #72
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen View Post

Irony. I see what you did there.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:02 AM   #73
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 38,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzband View Post
Irony. I see what you did there.
He's got a lot of competitive spirit. If those other cars would just stop cutting him off, and spinning him he'd do better.

I'd like to congratulate Kyle for his Nascar Win at Richmond.

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:25 PM   #74
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
I always like to root for the little guys.

Hence; Mark Martin.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #75
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,400
I'm not a Nascar fan, but who cares if you are. My only gripe is the whole athlete argument. Yes, they are out there fighting the heat while driving a car 200 miles an hour, but what other sport can 50 year olds still compete in (besides Golf and Bowling and that weak kind of shit)? I think its more mental than physical for Nascar driviers.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: