Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #1786
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Oddometer: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody R6 View Post
Hi Kamchat,

And a hearty, warm hello from us all down here in sunny South Africa...

I live in Cape Town, the "Mother City" as it is most affectionately known and which is situated at the southern most tip of the country. I have been following your thread for quite a while now and think it's absolutely fantastic that you're willing and indeed this keen to share your riding experiences with us...................fantasticly awesome, thank you!

It would indeed appear that you're living what must be very nearly every biker's ideal "dream life" hey.........what with a great bike, great roads to ride on, a good circle of long standing friends to ride with, on an equally impressive variety of bikes....and a luvly partner to boot, who not only rides with you but also rides her very own bike...and a sport bike at that!
Whoop whoop, you go boy, make us all proud..........................

The only missing element i'd say is "year round riding weather", which we are fortunately blessed with in abundance out here in good old SA!
Our summer temps (which we are still fortunate enough to be experiencing the tail end of) averages in the region of 33degc, and winter temps very rarely drop below 9degc.......so we're extremely blessed in that regard. We have no snow really and not too much rain either(winter rains in our part of the world). Our riding groups are generally 8guys-plus, but could sometimes exceed 12 people or more, while our biggest day trip group thus far was 31 riders...both boys and girls. Good riding roads are in huge abundance, ranging from long(generally law enforcement free) straights and freeways, to great twisty coastal routes that stretch for miles on end, to great scenic inland wine routes also seemingly going on for ever............all of which can be ridden at any time of the year. (Pics to follow............just as soon as I can figure out how to up-load them from my new fanceee smansheee camera - lost the previous one to some "charitable cause", by no choice of my own). Said camera incidentally also happens to be the exact same Canon model you've purchased after your "off" last year.

Anyways, great thread once again.......keep em coming.....and i'll be sure to post some pics of our own weekend exploits............... just as soon as I can figure out this "picture taking contraption"!

.......by the way guys; the garage is currently home to my '07 R6 in Yamaha racing blue, and a '10 BMW K1300GT in magnesium beige..............both stunningly awsome bikes in my opinion

Until next time.................
Regards, H
You know, I'm not the "owner" of this thread - but I really like your post! So here's to you guys over in SA.
I envy you for your riding weather (and for having bikes... ) - not for the "charitable causes", though...
It's just always cool to see people from the other side of the world doing the same thing, loving the same things.
Keep it up!

AllBlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #1787
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubu View Post
the love parade!!!!!
Lol! - Not in the DR of Congo .... surely ! ?
Kamchat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #1788
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackPearl View Post
JEEZ...

... you guys are goin' waaaaaay too slow - the bike's almost falling over!
Gotta work on that...

Lol! - Yeah we are stationary - the sidestands are down - I just 'shopped' them out of the pics.

Quote:
Honestly - you gotta LOVE those!!

I'd take them w/o second thought. Tell Stewart he's got a fan.

He'll be thrilled to hear he is a fashion icon.

Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #1789
Johnny Dakar
Fuckin' Smartass

Oddometer: 13,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamchat View Post
Lol! - Yeah we are stationary - the sidestands are down - I just 'shopped' them out of the pics.

Look at that. A brand new CBR with Termi.

You guys are like, The SuperSquids of Scotland, aren't you?
"Just sharing this quiet time is intimate, our tent, our bikes and our faces illuminated by yellow light from the fire. This is why we travel. To experience those rare moments of perfection of solitude of life."
-Simon Thomas
Johnny Dakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #1790
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dakar View Post
Look at that. A brand new CBR with Termi.

You guys are like, The SuperSquids of Scotland, aren't you?

I think some of us are too old to be Squids...... we just aspire to be Squids.

Well spotted on the Termi sticker...... That is Stewart's custom exhaust, it was a standard CBR exhaust he got off e-bay for an incredible 0.50p! (plus postage) which he has gutted (removed cat n baffles from)...... it's a tad loud!
Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #1791
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Few more from Sunday ...

The Inn in Strathyre ..

Old 03-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #1792
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:

He so should be!

Btw - on this shot it looks as if he had the same weird "grip"-technique as me. Holding on to the bar end with thumb and index and breaking with the other three....
I don't know how and why I do that, but it's always been that way.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #1793
AllBlackPearl
Alpoholic

Quote:

Great shots as usual.

Just take it easy guys, especially at this time of the year (I'm not saying at your age ).
Seriously, I had enough bad news for a life time lately.
I know you are good riders and most probably know what you're doing - just.. oh well. Am I now your babysitter or what..? Sorry, mate.
Just keep the rubber side down and stay in the saddle.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:23 AM   #1794
Aargee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Now this thread is getting hot as the temp in Summer Keep the pics coming. More bikes, more scenic, more B'Fasts
Aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #1795
Hoody R6
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi Kam/guys,

.....what a great laugh I've just had hey, hadn't laughed that much and/or that loud in yonks I tell you!
Unfortunately(or maybe I should say fortunately) the only "wildlife" I encounter on my rides are the riding buddies, and other such like minded hooligans! We do have the odd, very small game farm situated about 1.5 to 2hrs drive outside of town, but none of them would be stocked abundantly enough to make the trip worth while I'm afraid. Forunately we have more to fear out here from a certain human element than we do from any sort of wildlife...............................gosh, most of our population would live an entire lifetime without ever seeing any sort of game in real life. In order for us to see and experience real big and wild animals we'd have to undertake a road trip of at least 8-10hrs, depending on which direction one chooses to go and what you wish to see at your destination.
I do suppose I'm blessed in that regard as my job as a project manager for a rather big shopfitting company has over the years afforded me the opportunity to travel nationaly as well as internationaly on more occassions than I'd ever care to remember, and In so doing I have been exceptionally fortunate enough to see many places, see and experience many things, meet and be-friend very many people, and experience many different cultures all over the world......................all while being paid to do so! Ain't life grand hey...
As for the superbike scene over here, and biking in general for that matter........................we are HUGE over here guys!!! Our bikes are generally well priced, whether new or used, and the fair majority of blokes can afford a new(or another) bike every few years or so. It'd be mostly the younger yuppie upstart bikers who'd still be seen riding the "older" model bikes, and even then it's not long before the "upgrade" comes along. Our dirt bike/off road/GS market is also quite big, to the extent where my local BMW dealer/service agent reports the 1200GS as their best selling model every year for 4yrs running now. That's good business in anyones books I'd say!
Due to the vastness of our country, with the virtually unlimited network good roads and fantastic destinations, bike touring is quite popular over here, whether it be of the on or off road type. Day trips are an almost weekly activity for most, with weekends away also being quite popular for the fortuante few who can manage to get away from the rat race which is every day life for most folks these days.

So jaa, life in general is rather good to us out here, and I do suppose we are rather blessed, some folks more so than others...................and especially so when compared to most other African countries.
Do make it one of the things on your "to do" list to come out and visit our beautiful country some time before "time-out" occurs...........and who knows, you may just be very pleasantly surprised mate...

Regards, H
Hoody R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #1796
Hoody R6
n00b

Oddometer: 5
......Ps: I see the couple on "my" K13GT admiring your bikes outside the Strathyre Inn......................
Hoody R6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #1797
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Great shots as usual.

Just take it easy guys, especially at this time of the year (I'm not saying at your age ).
Seriously, I had enough bad news for a life time lately.
I know you are good riders and most probably know what you're doing - just.. oh well. Am I now your babysitter or what..? Sorry, mate.
Just keep the rubber side down and stay in the saddle.

Thanks
'at our age' - Lol! .... They say ''with age comes wisdom' ...... although I can confirm that sometimes 'age comes alone'. .

We will do our best to stay 'in the saddle' ...... One of the hazards on Sunday was the amount of stones and debris in the centre of the road at times (a common hazard at the end of winter) the tyre of the bike in front would spit them back at you ( like a shotun blast at times, with stones ricocheting off my helmet ) At the end of the run Graeme discovered a crack in the 999's windscreen caused by this.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #1798
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aargee View Post
Now this thread is getting hot as the temp in Summer Keep the pics coming. More bikes, more scenic, more B'Fasts

Rest assured, I'll do my best ......

Few more from Sunday ....

Old 03-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #1799
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoody R6 View Post
Hi Kam/guys,

.....what a great laugh I've just had hey, hadn't laughed that much and/or that loud in yonks I tell you!
Unfortunately(or maybe I should say fortunately) the only "wildlife" I encounter on my rides are the riding buddies, and other such like minded hooligans! We do have the odd, very small game farm situated about 1.5 to 2hrs drive outside of town, but none of them would be stocked abundantly enough to make the trip worth while I'm afraid. Forunately we have more to fear out here from a certain human element than we do from any sort of wildlife...............................gosh, most of our population would live an entire lifetime without ever seeing any sort of game in real life. In order for us to see and experience real big and wild animals we'd have to undertake a road trip of at least 8-10hrs, depending on which direction one chooses to go and what you wish to see at your destination.
I do suppose I'm blessed in that regard as my job as a project manager for a rather big shopfitting company has over the years afforded me the opportunity to travel nationaly as well as internationaly on more occassions than I'd ever care to remember, and In so doing I have been exceptionally fortunate enough to see many places, see and experience many things, meet and be-friend very many people, and experience many different cultures all over the world......................all while being paid to do so! Ain't life grand hey...
As for the superbike scene over here, and biking in general for that matter........................we are HUGE over here guys!!! Our bikes are generally well priced, whether new or used, and the fair majority of blokes can afford a new(or another) bike every few years or so. It'd be mostly the younger yuppie upstart bikers who'd still be seen riding the "older" model bikes, and even then it's not long before the "upgrade" comes along. Our dirt bike/off road/GS market is also quite big, to the extent where my local BMW dealer/service agent reports the 1200GS as their best selling model every year for 4yrs running now. That's good business in anyones books I'd say!
Due to the vastness of our country, with the virtually unlimited network good roads and fantastic destinations, bike touring is quite popular over here, whether it be of the on or off road type. Day trips are an almost weekly activity for most, with weekends away also being quite popular for the fortuante few who can manage to get away from the rat race which is every day life for most folks these days.

So jaa, life in general is rather good to us out here, and I do suppose we are rather blessed, some folks more so than others...................and especially so when compared to most other African countries.
Do make it one of the things on your "to do" list to come out and visit our beautiful country some time before "time-out" occurs...........and who knows, you may just be very pleasantly surprised mate...

Regards, H

Thanks H

I would love to come back to Africa one day, I was born and grew up in Kenya but have not been back since I was 19 yrs old..... things have probabaly changed...( just a bit! ).....
I suppose the lack of roadside wildlife is a good thing really....... hitting a rhino at xxxmph on a sportsbike would probably not be good..... we think sheep are bad enough! Although rideout pics with bikes and elephants etc. would be pretty awesome.

Cool to hear that sportsbikes are huge out there! I would never have thought it (like I said, I imagined mostly adventure bikes being ridden) ...will be good to see some pics of your rideouts when you get the chance.

Cheers

Kam

Kamchat screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 03:21 PM
Old 03-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #1800
Kamchat OP
Beastly Adventurer

Another sunny Sunday in March! The season is off to a good start and we had a good turnout today - 15 bikes in all.....

Including Gary on his R1 ex race bike

The group in Callander

and on the ride up ...