Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 PM   #76
whatsgnu
Scheissekopf

Oddometer: 278
Great RR and FANTASTIC video !! Always amazed at people that will ride into a country not knowing the language and have a great trip. Looking forwaed to more !!!
Tact is for people who aren't witty enough to be sarcastic.
whatsgnu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #77
xNOKIAx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
Great RR! I have similar plans this summer for a Northcap ride!
i see more people have this idea. i would like do similar trip but i would like go true ukraine, litvenia, latvia as well. but alone... i am not sure :(
xNOKIAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:11 AM   #78
shallowskiff
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 368
great stuff
shallowskiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:27 PM   #79
hummel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
As has been said,very good report so far and the accompanying video is first class.

It is also good to see an alternative bike being used rather than the usual gs or dual sport.

Thanks for taking the time to put the report together.
hummel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #80
Don Cargo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Nice report I am in
Old 03-12-2012, 05:17 PM   #81
*wookie*
Learning fast…

Oddometer: 15
Excellent ride report!

I'm planning a solo trip up to Nordkapp from London in May and I'm debating whether to get the ferry from Estonia to Finland and straight up, or head over into Russia and go via Murmansk. I think you've convinced me to consider the Murmansk route a bit more (has been 'Plan B' for a while).

Your reports so far have answered a bunch of questions I had, but I'm wondering - what sort of fuel range do you think necessary for this sort of trip? My KTM 950SE craps out after about 120 miles and I'm looking into options for carrying more fuel but don't want to overdo it…?

T.

*wookie* screwed with this post 03-12-2012 at 05:58 PM
*wookie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #82
*wookie*
Learning fast…

Oddometer: 15
Hook up?

Incidentally, I noticed a couple of inmates mentioned similar plans this year - I'd be happy to hook up for stretch (the Russian bit?) if anyone is up for it? Lemme know. T.
*wookie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #83
mattt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
THANK YOU FOR SHARING And I agree with everybody... you're video is just awesome !!!!

(and I really enjoyed your ride in the italian-swiss alps !!!!)
mattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #84
Doubleplay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Great report with awesome pictures.
Unfortunately spending some time in Norway myself I found it to be one of the most expensive places in the world.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #85
okoyote
vigilant adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Outstanding video!! I'm very jealous of your adventure. Well done!
okoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 PM   #86
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupas View Post
Awesome RR. I really enjoy reading your comments and thoughts on traveling. And I love your pictures of water.
I hope you change your mind about the route through Denmark on your way back. We would love to host you here in Copenhagen.

Henriette

Alaska to Argentina - N69S54A
Somehow missed your post the last time.
It might be a bit obvious, but I love water and what it does to a landscape (or carve out the whole landscape for that matter). And there are a lot more pictures of water coming up.
Appreciate your offer for staying with you, but I'm already at home, writing up last summers ride. I'm sure we would have had a lot to talk about. Maybe you are around Switzerland sometime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
I love the video. Very well done. A lot of work was put into this. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandesiro View Post
This is the best video i have ever seen on a ride report......I enjoy every second...!Respect!
Thank you, it has been a lot of fun setting up the camera and reviewing hours of footage and relive the ride when I was home. Non-riding friends wondered why I would bother to put that effort into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildy View Post
Excellant ride report. Would have loved to stay in one of those huts but the cheapest I was offered was £40 pounds so I wild camped instead. Keep up the report. Buy a Statoil cup which lets you get free coffee for the rest of the year.
40 Pounds are probably average for a hut, only 'relatively' cheap. I too camped most of time, but after days of rain and cold, I'd pay for a bit for the luxury of warmth. But what's a Statoil cup? Google comes up with the handball world cup sponsored by Statoil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummel View Post
It is also good to see an alternative bike being used rather than the usual gs or dual sport.
I didn't think it's that much of an issue what bike to take. I love my SV and feel very comfortable riding it, both in terms of ergonomics and roadworthiness. I didn't know if I really am into motorcycle travel before I went on this trip (how could I doubt that?), so buying a dual sport or the like for one trip seemed a bit over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *wookie* View Post
Excellent ride report!

I'm planning a solo trip up to Nordkapp from London in May and I'm debating whether to get the ferry from Estonia to Finland and straight up, or head over into Russia and go via Murmansk. I think you've convinced me to consider the Murmansk route a bit more (has been 'Plan B' for a while).

Your reports so far have answered a bunch of questions I had, but I'm wondering - what sort of fuel range do you think necessary for this sort of trip? My KTM 950SE craps out after about 120 miles and I'm looking into options for carrying more fuel but don't want to overdo it…?

T.
Although Norway is way more impressive with all it's mountains and landscape, my major highlight of the trip was definitely the russian leg. I would highly recommend taking this detour. Even more on a dual sport bike - you don't have to take the boring St. Petersburg - Murmansk "Autobahn" as I did. If I would go there again on a proper offroad bike, two things would be on the top of my list: Kuzomen desert on the Kola peninsula,the northernmost desert of the world and a trip to Teriberka at the Barents Sea. I met a few people on adventure bikes talking about a motorcycle meeting that is held in Teriberka in the first week of July.
And of course, learn a few russian phrases, it pays off.

Fuel coverage was my main concern when planning this trip, having no idea what to expect. I found this site listing all gas station, but not only directly along M18. If I remember correctly, the farthest stretch without any gas station (or other facility for that matter) along M18 was around 220km after Medvezhyegorsk (Медвежьегорск). No idea though what is the case away from the M18.

One last suggestion: if you want to eat good and cheap Shashlik in Monchegorsk, here's a good place: http://g.co/maps/s5mfa

There is an amazing ride report on here of some guys riding almost non-existent dirt tracks around Murmansk and Kola peninsula. Can't seem to find it right now, but it's worth a read.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #87
Tseta
Lost

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineGuerrilla View Post
There is an amazing ride report on here of some guys riding almost non-existent dirt tracks around Murmansk and Kola peninsula. Can't seem to find it right now, but it's worth a read.
You are probably referring to either this excellent report by Donogh or this one by randel. In any case, both are worth a read.

Cheers,

Tseta
Tseta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #88
AlpineGuerrilla OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tseta View Post
You are probably referring to either this excellent report by Donogh or this one by randel. In any case, both are worth a read.

Cheers,

Tseta
Both these reports are great reads and source for good information. Thanks for finding them.
AlpineGuerrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #89
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,341
Thanks very much for a great ride report and pictures. Super great video for sure. The only way I'll probably ever see this country is though rides reports and pictures such as yours.

A '00 KLR 650 37,000 miles, A '07 1250S 75,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 73,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #90
wildy
The Highwayman

Oddometer: 208
I was advised the first thing you do when you enter Norway is go to yout first Statoil petrol station. There you buy a statoil cup and lid ( around £20 pounds). This entitles you to free coffee for the rest of the year. In 10 days riding I drank about 50 coffees ( keeps you alert and keeps the cost down).