User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 04:49 PM   #18676
rotorhead511
Live and let live.

Oddometer: 432
Question

Sooooo...I'd like to pose a question. If one was to have some expendable funds, would it be best spent on a steering damper or new fork/shock springs?

I think Vic stated damper before suspension but with Daryn Sr in the house I was thinking on capitalizing on the expertise.

Whatcha all think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidinitaly View Post
He all, my folks are coming to visit this week and I'm planning on taking my father out to Mossy Head on Sunday morning. We're planning on doing a lot of suspension testing on my five-hunny but I'm sure he'd be willing to give some pointers to others as well. He knows all there is to know about KTM suspension and is really good on other bikes as well. Even if it's not tearing them apart to do valve work, he can provide information on proper set up with spring rates and pre-load.
'89 Honda Transalp XL600V (Coming in Sep)
rotorhead511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #18677
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post
Sooooo...I'd like to pose a question. If one was to have some expendable funds, would it be best spent on a steering damper or new fork/shock springs?

I think Vic stated damper before suspension but with Daryn Sr in the house I was thinking on capitalizing on the expertise.

Whatcha all think?
Suspension for sure!

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:07 PM   #18678
Vico1
The Maestro

Oddometer: 5,650
I said damper cause its sure fire and low tech... once mounted its pretty easy... big bang for buck...and you will still need one when going fast. I cant remember but it felt like the 500 had a damper... did it?

But suspension is the REAL answer to going fast. It doesnt have to cost money either. You just have to play with setting it up for YOU... If you are abnormal you may need other components (like really fast or really light or heavy)... but you mainly have to work on getting it feeling right.

It appears we may have some expertiese available so I am planning on at least meet/greet this weekend...

Sunday at Mossy! Suspension DAY

You dont quit riding when you get old, you get old when you quit riding.
I don't always ride street bikes, but when I do I prefer VStroms
Vico1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #18679
Madhouse
Semi-Goodlookin!

Oddometer: 3,125
Maplesville Fun Run flier

http://www.perrymountain.com/Fun%20Runs/FunRunflyer.pdf

Madhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #18680
MadMax400
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods Rider View Post
Suspension for sure!
Concur.. Had mine done just prior to the big dawg. Bike was floating through the trails.
Suspension is paramount!!
Gpr stabilizer is next..
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #18681
Hatch
PAR OG

Oddometer: 2,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax400 View Post
Im listening.. Is this doable on a 400/450?? Perry Mtn is just outside of Maplesville, AL correct??
uhh this is art right?? you will HATE perry mountain. its not open fire roads at all.

and +1 on vic's comment about down - up is easy... down is major pucker factor. good thing I ride a 4 stroke for tractoring up and engine braking down!

and james is absolutely right about the damned mud. I houred out at maplesville cause of a mudhole.

I still gotta work out the suspension on my race bike... maybe once I get it running right again i'll start worrying about the suspenders...

it always was a hard starter - turns out thats cause its an 05 that never had valves shimmed - so the intakes were 2 shim sizes too tight and the exhaust was 1 out. now it starts like a champ, and falls flat on its face in the midrange.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:40 AM   #18682
Vico1
The Maestro

Perry Mountain

Pheadrus is correct. However, and I dont know this for sure, but the last time we went on a "fun run" they had a easy section of trails laid out so kids, wives etc could ride...and maybe old time DS...

During the series I always tried to work Perry Mountain cause it was tuff... it has a rep to protect...

There is also a Hare Scrables that weekend in Chiply Florida...

Options abound!

BTW - Short history lesson. Many years back (circa 1068) the enduros started at the school house in Maplesville. Some years later (dont know when exactly) the moved it to Reynolds pasture and it became Perry Mountain MC club. So the old times still call it Maplesville and the young pups call it Perry Mountain...

But it is famous and quite a place to ride...

Old 03-14-2012, 04:49 AM   #18683
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vico1 View Post
Pheadrus is correct. However, and I dont know this for sure, but the last time we went on a "fun run" they had a easy section of trails laid out so kids, wives etc could ride...and maybe old time DS...

During the series I always tried to work Perry Mountain cause it was tuff... it has a rep to protect...

There is also a Hare Scrables that weekend in Chiply Florida...

Options abound!

BTW - Short history lesson. Many years back (circa 1068) the enduros started at the school house in Maplesville. Some years later (dont know when exactly) the moved it to Reynolds pasture and it became Perry Mountain MC club. So the old times still call it Maplesville and the young pups call it Perry Mountain...

But it is famous and quite a place to ride...

Dadgum Vic. I knew you had been around the block a time or two, but 1068? Do you have any pics from then to share?

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:50 AM   #18684
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,794
Quote:

Many years back (circa 1068)
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:11 AM   #18685
Vico1
The Maestro

yous guys

Ok you guys got me on that one... it was a typo.... it was actually 1078 ... of course there were no pictures... hadnt been invented yet....

Old 03-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #18686
Woods Rider
X-Crazed Racing Fool

Oddometer: 1,878
There are fire roads that run through Perry Mountain that would Be doable on most bikes. There is also an MX Track just down the dirt road. You will feel like a hero riding there for sure.

This place is hallowed ground for dirt riders!

Only a motorcycle rider knows why a dog sticks his head out the window of a car!

Woods Rider screwed with this post 03-14-2012 at 05:36 AM
Woods Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #18687
AST236
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
Quote:
Ok you guys got me on that one... it was a typo.... it was actually 1078 ... of course there were no pictures... hadnt been invented yet....
Oh, 1078. Well that clears that up then.

I don't like sand.
AST236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #18688
reidinitaly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead511 View Post

Whatcha all think?
Suspension first, stabilizer second. Take a look at the fast off-roaders in the world (Europeans) most of them don't run a stabilizer. However, come on out on Sunday and learn what can be done on your bike with the stock components. It wouldn't hurt to weigh yourself with your riding gear (camelbak included) before coming out as that is how most suspension guys base what springs to start with. When I looked at your shock this last weekend, you had plenty of thread left on your shock body to add some pre-load if your sag isn't right. Keep in mind though, if too much pre-load is required to get the right rider sag, your static sag will suffer and so will your small bump compliance (thus needing a stiffer spring). I'll bring out some extra tools so we can check and reset sag if needed. Your shock body needs to be spotless first though, they're made of aluminum and if you attempt to crank in pre-load with sand covering it, your threads will be destroyed.

Vic - my five-hunny does have a steering stabilizer, but I use a really light setting. I only really ever notice it when I just happen to miss judge a tree and decide to really use my hand guards for their intended purpose. BTW, my shoulder is a fantastic shade of green after my little episode on Friday... I guess there are times where I should wear armor

Keep the Rubber Side Down
reidinitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #18689
James Adams
Not a Texan

Oddometer: 8,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by AST236 View Post
Oh, 1078. Well that clears that up then.
Either way, he still looks good for his age.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #18690
Dr.Z
6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer: 9,773
Quote:

You gots a Mr. Jingles around somewhere or sumptin? or maybe you're a vampire in MX clothing

He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness. - Jack Goff
Dr.Z is offline   Reply With Quote