Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #706
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Perhaps these have something to do with it.

That is a lot if slippery paint!
Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 PM   #707
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwade View Post
That is a lot if slippery paint!

The Green part is grippy the White... Not so much. And it rains here A LOT.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:46 PM   #708
RussellH
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post
This guy used to pass me like clockwork at 05:40 on the SBD I-5 at the 805 split. I was running about 80 on my /7 and he would go by like I was standing still at 115 or so.

Vigilance and discretion... the razor thin margin between a close call and a trip to the morgue.
Still on page 35...BUT

From the pic you posted, it's raining, in San Diego, SUV and what looks to be the older BMW- don't tell me... http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28949
1982 NightHawk 450cc - Sold
RussellH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 02:18 AM   #709
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:

I sooooo want to go around painting little motors inside the frame outline of those little graphics

dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #710
gunut75
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Puke Accidental Stoppie!

I was riding through Waterford, WI, and pulled out into traffic from a gas station. The road was clear ahead of me for 100 yards or so. I got up to 25-30 mph, and had just let off the throttle to make my way lazily through town. I looked to the left side of the road at something going on there, and failed to see the big red van that had been waaay ahead of me had decided to stop and let a couple cross in the crosswalk. At this point, I'm about 30 feet from the van, still doing 25-30 mph, and I have not applied the brakes yet. Parallel parked cars to the right, and oncoming traffic to the left. No escape route.
At this point all I can think is "Might as well scrub off as much speed as possible, cuz this is gonna hurt". Squeezed the front brake: Waited for the initial bite of the brakes to pass and started squeezing harder. The front tire let out a little squeel, and I started to release pressure so the front doesn't lock up. Regained traction, then the ass end came up. Kept releasing pressure till the back of the bike came back down. When it did slam back to earth, I had completely stopped, and was still a foot off of the van's bumper. The couple ran around the van to see if I had collided with it. The guy in the diner was looking out the window with a fork full of waffles about an inch from his mouth. He was completely frozen, staring at me. I could see the guy driving in the van looking in the rear view at me. No touch, no foul.
At the intersection, he motioned to me that he was sorry for stopping (he didn't have to). I was more frustrated at myself for not paying attention for that few seconds. Gave him a shoulder shrug, and went on my merry way. True pucker moment.
Practicing quick stops really helps, but I have NEVER practiced a stoppie. That was my lucky day.

85 Suzuki SP600 tard project (in progress)
gunut75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #711
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellH View Post
Still on page 35...BUT

From the pic you posted, it's raining, in San Diego, SUV and what looks to be the older BMW- don't tell me... http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28949

There was a discussion in Faceplant about this incident "Lost an MSF instructor this morning"

Not everyone agrees with me about the 98% factor.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #712
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut75 View Post
I was riding through Waterford, WI, and pulled out into traffic from a gas station. The road was clear ahead of me for 100 yards or so. I got up to 25-30 mph, and had just let off the throttle to make my way lazily through town. I looked to the left side of the road at something going on there, and failed to see the big red van that had been waaay ahead of me had decided to stop and let a couple cross in the crosswalk. At this point, I'm about 30 feet from the van, still doing 25-30 mph, and I have not applied the brakes yet. Parallel parked cars to the right, and oncoming traffic to the left. No escape route.
At this point all I can think is "Might as well scrub off as much speed as possible, cuz this is gonna hurt". Squeezed the front brake: Waited for the initial bite of the brakes to pass and started squeezing harder. The front tire let out a little squeel, and I started to release pressure so the front doesn't lock up. Regained traction, then the ass end came up. Kept releasing pressure till the back of the bike came back down. When it did slam back to earth, I had completely stopped, and was still a foot off of the van's bumper. The couple ran around the van to see if I had collided with it. The guy in the diner was looking out the window with a fork full of waffles about an inch from his mouth. He was completely frozen, staring at me. I could see the guy driving in the van looking in the rear view at me. No touch, no foul.
At the intersection, he motioned to me that he was sorry for stopping (he didn't have to). I was more frustrated at myself for not paying attention for that few seconds. Gave him a shoulder shrug, and went on my merry way. True pucker moment.
Practicing quick stops really helps, but I have NEVER practiced a stoppie. That was my lucky day.
Nice job modulating the brakes. Also nice job deciding to just scrub as much speed as possible. At worst, you hit it slowly. At best, you stop successfully!! Glad we didn't have to read another "I knew I couldn't stop in time so I laid it down" BS story.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #713
lemieuxmc
Banned

So here's a hand grenade right at ya... what would have been the outcome if he had ABS?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #714
steve3b3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
So here's a hand grenade right at ya... what would have been the outcome if he had ABS?
I think the answer to that is "No one knows".
steve3b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #715
Aerocycle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Quote:

Shoot, was this in PDX? I took my DR650 down Hawthorne and through downtown and nearly took out a few bicyclists! I cant stand what they've done to that town and all of the wasted money/effort Sam Adams poured into those bike paths.... but whatever! That's why you wont catch me living in that city...
Aerocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #716
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There was a discussion in Faceplant about this incident "Lost an MSF instructor this morning"

Not everyone agrees with me about the 98% factor.
I do.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #717
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The couple would have helped him pick up the bike, the guy in the van would have a smudge to wash off his bumper and the guy in the diner would have dropped his waffle.

What do I win?
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #718
lemieuxmc
Banned

Breakfast on me at The Waterfront, San Diego's oldest tavern.

Of course you have to get there first...
Old 03-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #719
Olratbastard
Valens Peregrinus

Oddometer: 6
MC and Gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
I was cruising along peacefully on my KLR650 on a twisty VA 2-lane one afternoon. I was minding my own business doing about 60 mph when a lady in a Geo Tracker heading my direction intentionally swerves in my lane. She was probably doing 60 or so as well.

She had a big smile on her face the whole time she sent me into the ditch. Luckily I was on the KLR and it handled the deep gravel at 60 mph with more ease than I would have expected. I kept my speed and managed to hop back onto the pavement with relative ease.

I had just read a very nice book on VA gun laws because I was thinking of carrying concealed, but wanted to know all of he ins and outs before making my decision. That day I decided NOT to carry. Had I been carrying, I know in my heart that I would have turned around and shot at her. I'd like to see my kids grow up without bars between us if you know what I mean.

I have 2 other really good stories, but I'll save 'em for later.
I have wondered about this situation. If you threaten a police officer with your automobile you will be charged. When does the assault warrant a reply with force? I do carry and respect your decision not to. (With a firearm you generally have to be right every time and can not expect the slack given to incompetent and homicidal motorists.) There is no question an assault was committed, and a car is definitely a deadly weapon. A sworn officer could absolutely reply with deadly force.... in theory that option should be available to a citizen with a legal weapon. The only situation I can imagine where I would consider using my weapon would be if the assault was repeated and / or continuing. I advise you to take the class and once qualified to carry make the decision at that point. Armed citizens tend to be very polite and squared away. The percentage of licensed concealed carry holders who abuse the privilege is miniscule; a tiny fraction of one percent.

Olratbastard screwed with this post 03-18-2012 at 05:24 PM
Olratbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #720
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'll come down this Fall.