|03-14-2012, 11:16 AM||#1|
Dotted Quad Ranger
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Clarksville, TN
DR650 Engine / Transmission Rebuild
I recently bought a 2002 DR650SE with, what the PO called, a "noticeable ratcheting sound". Removing the clutch allowed me to see the issue. The output shaft bearing is toast. There were small pieces of it in the bottom of the cases. So far, I have not found any other signs of damage. The PO said he shut down the bike soon after hearing the noises, thankfully!
I have taken down the engine as far as I can without a rotor removal tool (which I ordered from ProCycle). I can't see if there are any issues with gears yet but I thought I'd come here and ask a few questions:
1. Since I am splitting the cases, should I just replace all the bearings and seals, or only what I need?
2. What do I use to clean the components with, like the clutch plates, to ensure I get rid of all the metallic soaked oil?
3. What the hell is Suzuki Bond and can I use Ultra Grey instead? Should I use something different for the cases than I do the valve cover?
4. Should I replace all the screws (like the ones holding the neutral safety switch) with stainless allen bolts? A few of them I will have to replace. Blue loctite?
5. How far should I take the rebuild since I have the entire motor apart? (i.e. lap the valves, upgrade gears, other mods?)
6. What should I know that I don't?
7. Where's the best place to buy parts?
I will post up some pics in a few and will continue to take them along the way for anyone interested in killing time looking at them! :)
Philosophy is written in that great book which ever lies before our eyes... Galileo
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|