Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #106
ArgRider
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Felicitaciones por el viaje. Te estaré siguiendo !!!

Saludos desde Argentina, Go AHEAD, RIDE SAFE !!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #107
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Gracias ArgRider !!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #108
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

The next day we left for the mountains , the Popocatepetl and La Mujer Dormida . Following again the advice and instruction of LDCMEX (Gracias!) , we took some backroads , passing through Tetela del Volcan to Ozumba and then on to Amecameca . All the time we had a great view on both, Popo and Mujer Dormida from different angles .

Once in Amecameca we got ourself a room and a great barbacued rabbit and the we rode up to Paso de Cortes, that is as close as you can get to the Popo at this moment . Since he is active right now , nobody is allowed further up ...Too bad !!! Back home in Guatemala we are allowed to go up all the way to the lava on the active Pacaya...
But the view up there was really great

La Mujer Dormida

Since it was so great up there , we decided to come back again the next morning, to see what it would be like at sunrise up here .

We didn't make it for sunrise the next morning , but not much later .
It was cold (close to freezing point) , but the amazinf views started already on the ride up . The Popo was welcoming us with a big smoke eruption

and this was the view we had from up at the Paso de Cortes

Without the advise and help from local inmates , it vwould at least be much more difficult to find places and backroads leading to them . Muchas gracias !!! Thank you all !!!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #109
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was not going to post any pics from Mexico City , but with this one I just couldn't resist

Old 03-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #110
Shibby!
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycleman2 View Post
With the coming into Alberta. I would suggest that you come up through Kalispell Montana, across the Road to the Sun Pass and take the Chief Mountain Border Crossing into Canada. Then up through PIncher Creek, taking the Cowboy Trail up the east side of the Rockies and it comes out west of Calgary on # 1 Hwy. Then west to Banff & up through the Columbia Icefield to Jasper. If you look at a map it will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. A very scenic route and keeps you off the 4 lanes.

The Road to the Sun is only open 2 or 3 months of the year and in 2011 it didn't open until July 17. I know because my wife and I made a trip into Montana & Idaho from Lethbridge Alberta, where we live. There is an alternate route that goes around this pass. If you are in this part of the world the pass is definitely worth riding once.

I'm following your trip so if I can help let me know.
I double this.

You have a place to stay in Calgary if you come through here. Just let me know.

I spent New Years in Guatemala this year! Good times.
Dirt Donkeys Do Baja: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=671095

Shibby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:08 AM   #111
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you ! I will come through Calgary and I will let you know on time .
Glad to hear that you enjoyed Guatemala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby! View Post
I double this.

You have a place to stay in Calgary if you come through here. Just let me know.

I spent New Years in Guatemala this year! Good times.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #112
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,121
A ver...condones de broma?

Oye, no quieres otra historia como el cuento de mi amigo y lo que paso en Los Mochis...LOL! :)
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #113
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hell no !!! It still makes me sick when it comes to my mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post

Oye, no quieres otra historia como el cuento de mi amigo y lo que paso en Los Mochis...LOL! :)
Old 03-16-2012, 08:35 AM   #114
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

On the bus right now on my way from Mexico City to Cuernavaca to pick up my bike.
And then back to Puebla for a few more days and for a lot more of that amazing Cocina Poblana
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #115
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Puebla otra vez? Ching!
When you get back to Puebla, you'll be almost in Guadalupe Victoria! How about we meet halfway in Guadalupe Victoria on Sunday and we'll do the ride up towards the big telescope? It's way smoother than the ride up to the Cofre so your passenger won't be poking you in the ribs! LOL! The Cumbres de Maltrata won't get another chance at you because we'll take the old road up to Atzitzintla and Texmilaquilla.
We can get breakfast in a little cocina economica along the way. Weather is going to be great all weekend, Monday is a holiday for Benito Juarez, and I promise no more Los Mochis stories! LOL! ;)
Old 03-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #116
TheSeeker
Slingin' Steel

Oddometer: 198
Laugh Hola...

We're waiting for your visit to Fairbanks, Alaska...

Be sure to come see us at Trail's End BMW before you head up to Deadhorse! Or maybe we'll see you at the big ADV gathering in Dawson City, Yukon on June 20-21st. BBQ at our shop in Fairbanks, AK on June 24th.

Enjoy your amazing journey. Feel free to send a PM for recommendations on your route coming up.

Saludos,

-Justin
trailsendbmw@gmail.com
TheSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #117
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Puebla otra vez? Ching!
When you get back to Puebla, you'll be almost in Guadalupe Victoria! How about we meet halfway in Guadalupe Victoria on Sunday and we'll do the ride up towards the big telescope? It's way smoother than the ride up to the Cofre so your passenger won't be poking you in the ribs! LOL! The Cumbres de Maltrata won't get another chance at you because we'll take the old road up to Atzitzintla and Texmilaquilla.
We can get breakfast in a little cocina economica along the way. Weather is going to be great all weekend, Monday is a holiday for Benito Juarez, and I promise no more Los Mochis stories! LOL! ;)
Sounds interesting, but it's the wrong direction . Why don't you come over here on the weekend and we go up in the mountains with a local inmate ? Fresh trouts for lunch are on me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeeker View Post
We're waiting for your visit to Fairbanks, Alaska...

Be sure to come see us at Trail's End BMW before you head up to Deadhorse! Or maybe we'll see you at the big ADV gathering in Dawson City, Yukon on June 20-21st. BBQ at our shop in Fairbanks, AK on June 24th.

Enjoy your amazing journey. Feel free to send a PM for recommendations on your route coming up.

Saludos,

-Justin
trailsendbmw@gmail.com
Hola Justin , we'll come and see you for sure, thx. I will PM you once I get further up north and ask you for information and recommendations . What's the wether lik up in Yukon and Fairbanks around the 20 of June ? Good enough for BBQ already ??

Saludos,
Julio
Old 03-17-2012, 06:28 AM   #118
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

the last week

After spending 2 days at the feetof the Popocatepetl we went on to Tepoztlan, where we were supposed a fellow inmate , Lance, who ffered us to guide us to his home in Cuernavaca and also a safe parking spot for the bike during my visit(by bus) to Mexico City. So ther we met him and his wife Adriana, a great cook : she prepared the best eggs I ever had in my life
We not only got a nice dinner , but also a lot of good information about the central/northern part of Mexico .
The next morning they took us out to the nearby ruins of Xochicalco
Most of the following pics were taken by Lance, who is also a very dedicated photographer

It was hot as hell out there and after walking around for a few hours in riding gear, even the smallest piece of shade was highly apreciated

My friend Jean Luc and myself after the visit to the ruins getting ready for take off with only one thing in mind , a cold beer

Thank you Lance and Adriana for your hospitality and friendship !!!!!!
Old 03-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #119
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Sounds interesting, but it's the wrong direction . Why don't you come over here on the weekend and we go up in the mountains with a local inmate ? Fresh trouts for lunch are on me ?
Sounds tempting but I've got a new road to explore. This one was found last weekend but I didn't have the time to ride it as I was on my way back from the sierra, this one looks very, very interesting. If it plays out like I hope it will, we can do it next time you come through. Looks like a typical paved switchback set-up with no guardrails and around 2,500 meter max elevation.
Asi nos gustamos, no? LOL! :)
Enjoy the trucha, it is said to be a wise fish.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:24 AM   #120
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Last night I met the local inmate , aka Panamerikaner, for a nice dinner and chat . In a little while I will meet him at one of the exit roads out of Puebla and he will take me somewhere up in the mountains for those famous and long expected fresh trouts