Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #16
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
I have ask myself this question, 5k? 6-7k? If I had a lot of money I would pay anything for them, since I can say I will be buying a bike or scooter in a very long time, the choise for me first is do I want a 5K motorcycle or a 5K scooter?

I know I will not be paying over 8K for any scooter, it just not for me. Maybe if I fall more in love with scooters, maybe I will for a nice and shiny Burgman 650 2012 of for the BMW But I would not pay $10K that is too much, and I think I can ride all year long, even when it is cold.

For now I am happy with my BEat, maybe in 2 years, after I have finish building my house, and my dauther is taller and older (she is just 4 years old and 3.3 ft) I will buy another scooter. Now I just don't use it that much, I take my dauther to school and to her afternoon clases so I drive the truck, so it would be horrible to see a MAxi scooter park that long.

Damasovi
damasovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #17
Godders
Crazy Pom in Aus

Oddometer: 297
Laugh

I brought my Beo 200 and my newest Beo 300 brand new, about $5400 and $8400 rideaway respectively (AUD).

I'm not sure i could spend more than $10,000 on something that is a Scooter however the next step would be $14000-18000 which given our situation is definitely out of the question.

it is used daily rain or shine and have done 11,000km in just about 8 months mainly from commuting. Public transport is out of the question here so it's needed but anymore than 10k and i'd need some serious justification to the other half. this one is affordable and should last a few years unless i get the chance to upgrade again lol

Brisbane, Qld, AU
2014 KLR650EEF - LED tail light, Wolfman luggage
former04 KLR650 A18 http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smal...ric/248519.png
Godders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
I would go with the silverwing because 1600 bucks is at least 30 days on the road with your new toy going anywhere. 1600 bucks is 385 gallons of gas right now at 4.15 a gallon . Thats nearly 20 000 miles of riding if you get 50 miles to a gallon. With gas going up and down thats going to be around 23 000 miles . The Abs really can save your ass when it comes to someone turning in front of you. Without it you may go down do to brake lock up. Mileage wise both are both barely broken in.
Even though the SWing is 3 years older I'm kinda leaning towards it. I doubt there is much difference in reliability between the two. From what I've read the Honda seems to be easier to maintain - something I don't mind doing on my own. $1600 isn't going to break me but it is money in my pocket and as you point out it'll get me a long way down the road.

I'd never rode any two wheeler with ABS before this last week when I test rode the 650 Burgman. I tried it in gravel - gently at first - it works great. I've only locked up both brakes a couple of times over 47 years of riding but those were times that I could have used ABS - I avoided dumping each time. I was lucky. That was before ABS was common in cars much less motorcycles. In the half hour I was on the Burgman I just couldn't find anything I didn't like about it. I imagine the Silver Wing will be quite similar in power and handling.
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #19
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
Great thread idea - maybe one of you can help me out - I'm looking at buying either of these two scoots - a 2008 Burgman 650 Exec with 4000 on the clock with a $5400 price - or a 2005 Silverwing ABS with 5100 on the clock with a $3800 tag. Both are in excellent condition - which would you chose and why? Is the three year younger Burgman worth the extra coin? Keep in mind I tend to keep vehicles for a very long time. I understand the differences and similarities between these two rides. Now I just need to pick the winner.
Depends on a couple of things. What you plan to do with it and how strong you feel these days. I've owned about 4 Silverwings and also owned a B'Man 650 for about a year. I've toured on both and used both around town. The following is all my opinion and others will vary.

The B'man is 60% motorcycle - 40% scooter. The Swing 60% scooter-40% motorcycle. Meaning if you want more motorcycle feel - go B'Man. The B'man, while only a few pounds heaver and a few cc's larger FEELS heavier and stronger. So, for a touring machine, no question I would go B'Man. BUT, I don't tour that much - spend more time around town so for me, hands down the Silverwing is my choice. Getting on/off, parking, moving it around a garage when it isn't running all are much easier on a Silverwing.

The maintenance issue is something I can't address for a B'man as I didn't have it long enough to do much but change the oil. The S"wing I've maintained a lot and it is pretty easy to do.
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:38 AM   #20
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

To answer the OP original question - $10,000 would be my upper limit. For that I would have to get a scooter like a Silverwing BUT, with some type of factory stereo system and perhaps detachable hard side bags for touring. I guess ABS too although I don't really care.use ABS.

The 2012 SWIng is almost $10K and I wouldn't pay that for it. I'd go find a used one first.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 AM   #21
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
I don't know what my limit would be so far it has been $5200 which is what I paid OTD for a new GTS 250 and a bit less for the Scarabeo & BV 500s that were also left over stock.

Last year I put double the miles on the scoots than I did on the car. I don't ride every day but I don't drive every day either. I also do a fair bit of touring on my 500cc scooters. Last year just on the multi-day rides I put 5,000 miles on the BV. Next, week I leave for a 3,000 mile round trip on my Scarabeo. If I weren't taking the scoot I'd most likely fly not drive. Though I'm not sure it will cost me less to take the scoot than the car since I'll take longer to ride - I'm not a fan of 600+ miles days on two wheels though I routinely do them in a car. Besides I'm not taking interstates on the scoot - too boring but will spend extra time on fun roads.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:36 AM   #22
SteveZTV
BeenThereDoneThat

Oddometer: 2
I wish that I could say that practicality really influenced any bike-buying decision I've ever made. The closest to practicality I come is to make sure I'm not going to be ripped off. After that, it's a "Goldilocks" thing - which fits best and which offers me something unique and fun. The beauty of riding is there is always another bike out there, and the two best are the one you have now and the next one that you crave.

I find that most new bikes are woefully overpriced and the sales folk pushing new bikes expect their customers to be more into labels and image than "ride-ability." There are many, many bikes out there with less than 3,000 miles (a lot with less than 1,000 on the clock) whose most-common reason for being on-the-market is that the previous owner bought too much bike for him/her and sold/traded the bike because of that. Under that criteria, finding a fun bike for less than $6K should be no problem, and if you have a decently-maintained trade, out-of-pocket cash can be limited per budget. Also, dealing with a decent bike shop which only has previously-owned machines and services what it sells can result in better buys as well.

My last two bikes (a VStar 650S for which I traded in a Majesty, and a TMAX which I ride now) are from the same bike shop which has serviced all three. There definitely is a more-favored customer treatment for the repeat customer. I still stop by the new bike dealers, but only to see what's out there so I'm ready for the next opportunity which doesn't have obscene markups.
SteveZTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #23
LarryRickenbacker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
$5,000

Howdy,

$5,000. My next bike, like my current Sh150i will be used. My Sh150i I bought used at a Honda dealer with just 30 miles on it for an $800 discounted price of $3300. I've little interest in maxi scoots, so 250cc is my limit and there aren't any available here in the Shreveport area, anyway.

PS: Heck, $5,000 is too much!
LarryRickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
For one really depends if its new or used.

And just for fun I reckon we's gonna go by displacement and whats I got for money at now.

Well, for 50 cc, I wouldn't pay no more than $1,000 new, and no more than $600 used, BUT that would change if I had a DUI!

For 80-100 cc, about the same as 50 cc maybe ~$200 more.

For 125-150 cc, I'd pay about $1,800-$2,000 new if it was a very nice model with liquid cooling, and around $1,200-$1,500 used depending on model and condition.

For 250 cc, I'd say up to about $2,500-$3,000 new if its nice like a Helix or a RV 250. If used, I'd say about $1,000-$2,000 depending on model and condition of course. MAYBE slightly more or less.

For a Maxi Scooter, I'd say for 400-500 cc, maybe $4,000 for a really nice new one, and $2,500 used, and maybe for a 600 cc+ about $5,000 new and about about $3,500 used.

Now this may sound like it wont never gonna happen right! Maybe if I had the money a bit more. But for one I'd never buy a new scooter, UNLESS it was the prices I meantioned [and it NOT chinese]. So I think my used prices is somewhat reasonable, I mean you can get a Sportster 883 for $2,800 in good condition clean title if you look hard enough. Used prices varies place to place and also how hard you look+how much patience you got.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Just an addendum to my earlier post - riding today I was thinking about the cost of a new 2011 Silverwing and realized it is more than I paid for my 2011 Sportster....a LOT more.

Now some of you may feel the value of a Silverwing is more than the HD and I won't argue that point but somehow I think an 883cc motorcycle shouldn't be so much cheaper than a 600cc scoot. And, if you check out the NC700 due out this spring for $6999 vs the $9200 or so for the Swing, things are even more wacky.

Just sayin'
Old 03-11-2012, 07:15 PM   #26
knucklehead90
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
Depends on a couple of things. What you plan to do with it and how strong you feel these days. I've owned about 4 Silverwings and also owned a B'Man 650 for about a year. I've toured on both and used both around town. The following is all my opinion and others will vary.

The B'man is 60% motorcycle - 40% scooter. The Swing 60% scooter-40% motorcycle. Meaning if you want more motorcycle feel - go B'Man. The B'man, while only a few pounds heaver and a few cc's larger FEELS heavier and stronger. So, for a touring machine, no question I would go B'Man. BUT, I don't tour that much - spend more time around town so for me, hands down the Silverwing is my choice. Getting on/off, parking, moving it around a garage when it isn't running all are much easier on a Silverwing.

The maintenance issue is something I can't address for a B'man as I didn't have it long enough to do much but change the oil. The S"wing I've maintained a lot and it is pretty easy to do.
Well I took a test ride on the Silver Wing earlier - gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. I expected the SW to be smoother than the Majesty. It wasn't. It vibrates at anything slower than about 50mph where the Majesty only really vibrates at takeoff and becomes quite smooth even in town at 25-35mph. The big Burgman seemed much smoother than either the SW or the Majesty. The Burgman is definitely faster than the SW by quite a bit. The only real plus on the SW was the Givi windshield which offers a very nice wind shadow vs the stock Burgman and Majesty shields. My impression is the SW isn't all that much faster than the Majesty. Since its the only one I've ever rode it could be it has problems. I don't know. Handling is good with the SW - as is braking (ABS) - I just don't care for the level of vibration at less than highway speeds. Much of my riding will be at highway speed but I'm not ready for something that has the same level of vibration as my Harley at in-town speed if it isn't going to sound like it!

I think its best if I bide my time and wait for the right big Burgman to come along. In the meantime I'll 'suffer' along with the Majesty. It runs perfect. I might even get a Givi windshield for it - you never know it might just grow on me. It has the Yamaha trunk so its ready for some long distance travel.

I was hoping the SW would be 'just right'. It wasn't.

Cages:
1971 Karmann Ghia
2013 VW Jetta TDi Premium
knucklehead90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #27
MODNROD
Perpetual ponderer

Oddometer: 2,004
50cc - shopping, quick coffee trips in the city.......$1200
200cc - as above, short freeways, under 1 hr trips.........$3000
300c up - 70mph cruise, comfy and fuel for 200miles, 0-60mph in 6secs, carries 40-50L of useless crap you don't need, capable on bumpy roads, no buffeting, scratches well............$10G

I just wish someone would make one!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #28
Creation
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Nothing of mine has costed over 3,000 overall.

Never has a scooter costed over a 1,000; 1989 elite 250, 1985/86 Honda gyros, 2003 reflex (moms now), and a 1985 elite 250
Creation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #29
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead90 View Post
Well I took a test ride on the Silver Wing earlier - gotta say I'm a bit disappointed. I expected the SW to be smoother than the Majesty. It wasn't. It vibrates at anything slower than about 50mph where the Majesty only really vibrates at takeoff and becomes quite smooth even in town at 25-35mph. The big Burgman seemed much smoother than either the SW or the Majesty. The Burgman is definitely faster than the SW by quite a bit. The only real plus on the SW was the Givi windshield which offers a very nice wind shadow vs the stock Burgman and Majesty shields. My impression is the SW isn't all that much faster than the Majesty. Since its the only one I've ever rode it could be it has problems. I don't know. Handling is good with the SW - as is braking (ABS) - I just don't care for the level of vibration at less than highway speeds. Much of my riding will be at highway speed but I'm not ready for something that has the same level of vibration as my Harley at in-town speed if it isn't going to sound like it!

I think its best if I bide my time and wait for the right big Burgman to come along. In the meantime I'll 'suffer' along with the Majesty. It runs perfect. I might even get a Givi windshield for it - you never know it might just grow on me. It has the Yamaha trunk so its ready for some long distance travel.

I was hoping the SW would be 'just right'. It wasn't.
Could be that particular one. We've had some reports here of very "Buzzy" Swings and mine have varied from quite smooth to a bit buzzy.

I've never been able to stand any of my scoots (except the 250cc Hondas) with the stock screens. The Givi screens make a huge difference. Get the Givi for your Majesty. You might just find that then it is "just right"!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #30
Cheshire
Anachronistic rideby

Oddometer: 267
My current limit is $5k. I paid $3k for my 125cc, $3.3k for my Vulcan 900. A Blur 220 should run about $4.5k.
I ride between 500 and 1500 miles/month...around 10k/year.

Initial cost isn't as important as cost of upkeep to me.
Cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote