Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Gold5th
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I've done 130km/h down a gravel road on my old virago... won't do it on the C109RT though.. way to wide of tires for any control over 80km/h... some gravel I have to do 40km/h.
Gold5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 AM   #17
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpaguy View Post
I hope to pass through your neck of the woods about late June, coming from Flin Flon , Any good suggestions as to a nice route? I am riding a r1150gs and hope to see some country north of Prince Albert park.
There really isn't much you can call a road from Sask into Alberta north of the Cold Lake area. At least nothing I would attempt on any kind of motorcycle. The sask side of hwy 55 running east west is being rebuilt, they really tore it down, I doubt it will be paved until early fall. Sask does know how to maintain gravel though. Meadowlake prov park is really beautiful and great gravel. Alberta side is pretty humdrum. Alberta side is pretty humdrum. I try to stay off hwy 28 (cold lake to edmoton) as much as possible. A lot of fast moving traffic, guys rushing to and from the oil patch.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:08 AM   #18
Gold5th
Adventurer

On the Alberta side I call 63 and 28 between Edmonton and Ft. Mac "the Ft. Mac 500", because it seems like a race. One snowy winter day I was doing 120km/h in a small 4x4 with excelant winter tires down 63 between Grassland and Boyle (I know this highway well, I live in the area) and I was getting passed like I was standing still. I've done 63 on bike before during a rush (Sunday night/Monday morning or Friday) it wasn't bad, just be alert. I ride a large cruiser (1800cc) so it's a little eaiser to hold my ground.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM   #19
sherpaguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by wos View Post
There really isn't much you can call a road from Sask into Alberta north of the Cold Lake area. At least nothing I would attempt on any kind of motorcycle. The sask side of hwy 55 running east west is being rebuilt, they really tore it down, I doubt it will be paved until early fall. Sask does know how to maintain gravel though. Meadowlake prov park is really beautiful and great gravel. Alberta side is pretty humdrum. Alberta side is pretty humdrum. I try to stay off hwy 28 (cold lake to edmoton) as much as possible. A lot of fast moving traffic, guys rushing to and from the oil patch.
Thanks for the info. I see on google maps some interesting looking gravel north of Prince Albert Park -any comments
sherpaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpaguy View Post
Thanks for the info. I see on google maps some interesting looking gravel north of Prince Albert Park -any comments

Sask knows how to do gravel. There has been a lot of construction in NW Sask. the highway west of me (55) has been torn down to the base and is being rebuilt. I tried riding the gravel road south of Pierceland to Lloydminster and had to turn back, they had graded it very deeply and dumped a lot of fresh gravel with a lot of really big rocks. Skull sized rocks while sliding around didn't inspire much confidence. Bring lots of extra fuel, you can be out in the middle of nowhere and be turned back.
The area is really pretty and worth the trouble. The closer to Saskatoon you are the more optional routes you can take, up here it is a little limited. Pick up a Sask back road atlas in any case.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:16 PM   #21
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Oddometer: 520
Bumpity!!

The season is lurking upon us Boys!! Woot Woot!!
To sin by silence makes cowards out of men! Ella Wheeler Wilcox
Peace is mostly valued by those who are sworn to protect it! Unknown
outbacktaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 AM   #22
Gold5th
Adventurer

Got my clutch parts in so hopefully I can fix my clutch shudder... just need time to do it, and to build a base to hold it up. The lift would be in the way.

Then I still need to get tires... *sigh*..
Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #23
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold5th View Post
Got my clutch parts in so hopefully I can fix my clutch shudder... just need time to do it, and to build a base to hold it up. The lift would be in the way.

Then I still need to get tires... *sigh*..

Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #24
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Out today

I spooned on the new K60 Scout front tire on the KLR this afternoon and thought it might be fun to go for a quick ride down the road a couple of miles. The snow that had fallen earlier had made the road pretty slushy and the couple of cars I met showed no courtesy or consideration when meeting them so I thought heading home was the best idea. Once home, I took the KLR out into the hay field, the front K60 has a lot more traction in the snow than the Shinko 705 ever did on wet pavement. I had fun out carving in the snow, quite a few times I was pushing snow with the tool tube mounted up on the skid plate (about 12in to the top of the tube). The rear K60 really digs, the front feels good, I'm looking forward to spring!
I hope the set I have for the wee strom perform as well.
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #25
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
I spooned on the new K60 Scout front tire on the KLR this afternoon and thought it might be fun to go for a quick ride down the road a couple of miles. The snow that had fallen earlier had made the road pretty slushy and the couple of cars I met showed no courtesy or consideration when meeting them so I thought heading home was the best idea. Once home, I took the KLR out into the hay field, the front K60 has a lot more traction in the snow than the Shinko 705 ever did on wet pavement. I had fun out carving in the snow, quite a few times I was pushing snow with the tool tube mounted up on the skid plate (about 12in to the top of the tube). The rear K60 really digs, the front feels good, I'm looking forward to spring!
I hope the set I have for the wee strom perform as well.
Humm, I was looking at those for replacement, in a few more miles...! Thanks for the "review"...!

As for the cagers, we're in Alberta!! Since when people around here started showing any consideration for motorcyclists to begin with, and in Winter on top of it all???
Old 03-10-2012, 04:32 PM   #26
grumpybear
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Spring close?

The forecast for the rest of the week has high temperatures above zero, a bit of rain but looking good. Put on about 20 kms today, not going far just doing laps around the area. It sure feels good

grump
grumpybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #27
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
The forecast for the rest of the week has high temperatures above zero, a bit of rain but looking good. Put on about 20 kms today, not going far just doing laps around the area. It sure feels good

grump
Yep!!!

Taking the White Beast out this week for sure!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 09:44 PM   #28
SaltyDuddde
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Hi outbacktaz,

Looks like you're from 417, I'm just across the rwy at 419.
I'm interested in Adv riding but only have a Harley currently.
What kind of terrain and how far do you usually go in the trails for?
Can a smaller cc bike hack it? May want to get a cheap bike for that purpose.

Salty
SaltyDuddde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #29
outbacktaz OP
outbacktaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyDuddde View Post
Hi outbacktaz,

Looks like you're from 417, I'm just across the rwy at 419.
I'm interested in Adv riding but only have a Harley currently.
What kind of terrain and how far do you usually go in the trails for?
Can a smaller cc bike hack it? May want to get a cheap bike for that purpose.

Salty
Hey Salty! Indeed, I'm all Joker and Wild!!

I have the White KTM Adventure 990 you'll soon see kickin' around the base. There are a lot of trails around here, on and off the base. And if you don't ride stupid, the MPs will let you ride around the base quite a lot, in order to get to the trails of course.

Any kind of off-road bike will do around here. It just depends on how far the trail head is from where you start. Anything from a 125 up should do. From a motocross to a dual-sport will do as well. If I'd go light, I'd go for something like a DT200 or something similar. There's 1 motocross track here on base, and you can get to the one in town by riding off-road too. And like I said, there are a lot of dual-sport tracks all over the area. Just be aware that most tracks are sand, so it can be tricky at times with a heavy bike like mine.

Shoot me a PM, we'll get together and discuss about it.

Marty
Old 03-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #30
The Flounder
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
First Ride of the year

Made a loop around Cold Lake today, little Chilly but clear roads in March, I'll take it.
The Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote